The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

21 hours ago, The Lock said:

And, I have a feeling once Hronek's on the back end, that will be like shifting the loss of Horvat's skill onto the defense rather than just outright losing it anyway. How much that will affect things remain to be seen obviously, but I can't see Hronek not having an effect.

I still have upmost respect for Horvat, but he was no Kesler in terms of sticking up, which is ironic given there seemed to be a lot of comparisons there early on in his career (although haven't heard much the last few years about that comparison).

Shortly after Kesler was drafted someone asked Burke what he sees in him “ He’s the next Trevor Linden” or along that line… that would never be said about Bo

Edited by Westcoasting
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

In the top 4, yes. Having Schenn back to hold down the bottom pairing, provide actual veteran leadership, and to bring the pain is more than a good idea. 

While I completely agree with you and hope management tries to bring him back, I'm thinking Toronto might try to keep him harder than people might think. Sounds like he's ecstatic to be there, and if all goes well with him and the Leafs through the playoffs I can definitely see them try to work out a new deal for him:

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2023/03/16/luke-schenns-maple-leafs-homecoming-was-a-long-time-coming-this-is-a-dream-come-true.html

Spoiler

Being a Maple Leaf again seems to mean everything to Luke Schenn.

“I’ve often thought about getting the chance to come back, not thinking it would actually be a reality,” said Schenn. “But it’s definitely crossed my mind a couple of times when you’re going through waivers or free agency. You’re always hoping that maybe the Leafs would give me a second chance.

“It never worked out. Maybe the timing wasn’t right. And now I do feel that the timing obviously is right, and I feel more prepared and ready for this opportunity.”

The time is now. On Friday night against the Carolina Hurricanes, Schenn will play his first game as a Maple Leaf in Scotiabank Arena since 2012, when the place was called the Air Canada Centre.

“It’s going to be … I don’t know … I can’t even put it in words,” said Schenn. “It’s going to be crazy. I just think of all the memories, coming up through that tunnel from the Leafs room into the home arena. Crazy. Obviously unbelievable fans. And I can’t really describe it.

“I don’t really know what it’s going to be like. But put it this way, I’m fired up for it.”

“I know what a special place it is here to play and to be a part of the city,” said captain John Tavares, who has played with Schenn internationally. “He’s had an incredible journey and continuing to play well through ups and downs. He’s shown what a valuable player he is, what a piece he can be for any team and obviously a team in a position like ours.

“He’s excited. He thinks highly of our group and how he can come in and help and push us over the top.”

Great things were predicted for Schenn, drafted fifth overall by the Leafs in 2008. He was traded to Philadelphia for James van Riemsdyk, and things started to go sideways. Though he got to play with his brother Brayden for a few years, the game seemed to be passing Schenn by. Teams valued skating and puck-moving blueliners over the brawny, stay-at-home Schenn types.

He went on waivers, he went to minors, he started playing for close to minimum NHL salary. He continued to work on his game and enjoyed a late-career renaissance. His life changed as the seventh defenceman for two years in Tampa, getting his name twice on the Stanley Cup.

The 33-year-old turned himself back into an everyday NHL defenceman in Vancouver where he was a plus player (plus-nine) on a bad team.

“My career definitely hasn’t been a straight arrow to the top,” said Schenn. “It hasn’t been easy or anything like that. But every experience, every up and down, I’ve been grateful for it because it’s led me to where I am today. I’m thankful for every opportunity I’ve gotten, even though some of them haven’t been easy in the moment.”

That trade to Philadelphia happened a day after the Leafs selected Morgan Rielly fifth overall in 2012. Though he practised mostly with Jake McCabe on Thursday, it would surprise no one if he ended up getting rotated in with Rielly, especially with coach Sheldon Keefe insisting on dressing seven defencemen.

“We’ve crossed paths and chatted,” said Rielly. “He lives in Kelowna; I get up to Kelowna in the summer. We’ve never played together, but we’re going for dinner and we’re getting to know one another a little better.

“He appreciates it on a full-circle level. Not just grateful to play for a good team, but to come back here after starting his career here. You can tell it’s a cool opportunity for him, and he’s going to try to make the most of it. We’re all going to do that.”

Excluding Luke himself, the Leafs have 6 forward and 2 other defensemen contracts expiring in the offseason (plus ROR on LTIR). I don't think it would be hard for them to keep him around if the interest is mutual.

Edited by Ralph.
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

26 minutes ago, Ralph. said:

While I completely agree with you and hope management tries to bring him back, I'm thinking Toronto might try to keep him harder than people might think. Sounds like he's ecstatic to be there, and if all goes well with him and the Leafs through the playoffs I can definitely see them try to work out a new deal for him:

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2023/03/16/luke-schenns-maple-leafs-homecoming-was-a-long-time-coming-this-is-a-dream-come-true.html

Reveal hidden contents

Excluding Luke himself, the Leafs have 6 forward and 2 other defensemen contracts expiring in the offseason (plus ROR on LTIR). I don't think it would be hard for them to keep him around if the interest is mutual.

Plus Schenn is a big voice in our room. It’s time to move on to other guys taking leadership. 

13 minutes ago, Ralph. said:

Reveal hidden contents

For sure. There is that too. His agent did mention that Luke wouldn't be averse to being traded from Vancouver and then returning in the offseason. That being said, if it didn't happen, you move on. With Tocchet at the helm, I think this team will have an actual identity, and being actually hard to play against seems to be part of it, aside from Myers and his girgaffes.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Shortly after Kegler was drafted someone asked Burke what he sees in him “ He’s the next Trevor Linden” or along that line… that would never be said about Bo

I don't know if I agree with that actually. To me, Bo would be closer to Linden than Kesler. Perhaps it's just a matter of how we look at things.

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

I don't know if I agree with that actually. To me, Bo would be closer to Linden than Kesler. Perhaps it's just a matter of how we look at things.

I honestly don’t think either of them were close… when Linden came to the NHL he was he most exciting thing the Canucks had since their cup run. Suddenly there was a desire to go to a game again!! 

Honestly......if that 7 x 7 last offer for Bo was true, we still dodged a bullet IMO.  For one, we just needed the culture change, and he was the Captain setting the tone. But more  than that..

i think Bo was so pssed off at management for daring to sign Miller first, and then daring to offer him less than Miller, that he spent the summer strictly shooting pucks into a net. That activity was reported as true. He said f it, if you thought I paid less value in back checking,  or getting my nose dirty, or even assists in past  seasons, you ain't seen nothing.  I'm going to concentrate purely on seeing how  many goals I can score in one season. Knowing that of all the stats that make GMs eyes sparkle, and fans love, its goals.  And it worked!  Probably having the free wheeling style cheerleader coach in BB didn't hurt either. Perfect timing for him.  I don't think his plan would have worked under Tocchet.

Now that his anger has subsided, and the adrenaline that was fuelling it, and he's back playing at a more sustainable comfortable level, and he must also start to give more attention to defence, he is coming back down to his 50-60 point average.  I don't see the Bo lovefest lasting too long on long island, not at his cap hit.

As a not wealthy pro athlete, its hard to understand why someone like Bo, a captain, who was still  well respected  here, and was never one of the first to be criticized if the team was sinking, would turn down 49 million to play out his career in one city, where his family had taken roots. One of the most beautiful cities in NA. 

He would be applauded if he had taken less than he could have gotten on the open market, and the respect from fans continuing if he'd swallowed his pride and taken the 7 x 7. He has now set himself up to have to deal with the pressure of being a new unknown player in strange market, having to live up to being second only to Barzal in cap hit next season.....8.5....for eight fricken years!  I don't know maybe I'd look at it differently if I were in his shoes but I'd rather set myself in a more comfortable, less stressful pressure, no moving across the continent to a foreign country to keep playing here for $49 million And whatever he's banked so far,  to not deal with the stress coming from fans in years to come. Much like LE, Myers, and OEL must have to deal with. It must  take the fun out of playing for them to some degree at least.

This trade, our return, might go up there as one of the best in our history,, depending on Raty's development. Along with the Linden for Bertuzzi, Mccabe (who helped  land another Sedin) and a 3rd.  And Dan Quinn, and Garth Butcher for Ronning, G Courtnel, Dirk, Momesso and a 5th

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

In the top 4, yes. Having Schenn back to hold down the bottom pairing, provide actual veteran leadership, and to bring the pain is more than a good idea. 

If you look under RT coaching our team hits more and more aggressive.I really don't think bringing back Schenn is going to make a difference what's so ever.  

We get Johansson and Livingstone or another RHD or keep Bear there is no room for Schenn. 

We want to get younger and better so again no reason at all to bring him back unless for an extra.

1 hour ago, Westcoasting said:

I honestly don’t think either of them were close… when Linden came to the NHL he was he most exciting thing the Canucks had since their cup run. Suddenly there was a desire to go to a game again!! 

I mean, to be fair, it's easy to make the argument that every player is really their own making. Comparisons only go so far in the first place. lol

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

Honestly......if that 7 x 7 last offer for Bo was true, we still dodged a bullet IMO.  For one, we just needed the culture change, and he was the Captain setting the tone. But more  than that..

i think Bo was so pssed off at management for daring to sign Miller first, and then daring to offer him less than Miller, that he spent the summer strictly shooting pucks into a net. That activity was reported as true. He said f it, if you thought I paid less value in back checking,  or getting my nose dirty, or even assists in past  seasons, you ain't seen nothing.  I'm going to concentrate purely on seeing how  many goals I can score in one season. Knowing that of all the stats that make GMs eyes sparkle, and fans love, its goals.  And it worked!  Probably having the free wheeling style cheerleader coach in BB didn't hurt either. Perfect timing for him.  I don't think his plan would have worked under Tocchet.

Now that his anger has subsided, and the adrenaline that was fuelling it, and he's back playing at a more sustainable comfortable level, and he must also start to give more attention to defence, he is coming back down to his 50-60 point average.  I don't see the Bo lovefest lasting too long on long island, not at his cap hit.

As a not wealthy pro athlete, its hard to understand why someone like Bo, a captain, who was still  well respected  here, and was never one of the first to be criticized if the team was sinking, would turn down 49 million to play out his career in one city, where his family had taken roots. One of the most beautiful cities in NA. 

He would be applauded if he had taken less than he could have gotten on the open market, and the respect from fans continuing if he'd swallowed his pride and taken the 7 x 7. He has now set himself up to have to deal with the pressure of being a new unknown player in strange market, having to live up to being second only to Barzal in cap hit next season.....8.5....for eight fricken years!  I don't know maybe I'd look at it differently if I were in his shoes but I'd rather set myself in a more comfortable, less stressful pressure, no moving across the continent to a foreign country to keep playing here for $49 million And whatever he's banked so far,  to not deal with the stress coming from fans in years to come. Much like LE, Myers, and OEL must have to deal with. It must  take the fun out of playing for them to some degree at least.

This trade, our return, might go up there as one of the best in our history,, depending on Raty's development. Along with the Linden for Bertuzzi, Mccabe (who helped  land another Sedin) and a 3rd.  And Dan Quinn, and Garth Butcher for Ronning, G Courtnel, Dirk, Momesso and a 5th

I am not one to blame Bo for the team's results. But even if we could have re-signed him 6-6.5mil we would be better off with the results of this trade. We got a 25 year old top 4 RHD, a still decently young middle 6 winger with speed and who can dig up pucks, and we got a great young prospect. In a team sport, 3 good pieces are better than 1 great piece. And in this case, it's hard to really argue that Horvat is even a great piece. He was great fit here but realistically Petey and Hughes can make a lot of players look good.

• There it is 2

45 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

If you look under RT coaching our team hits more and more aggressive.I really don't think bringing back Schenn is going to make a difference what's so ever.  

It'll bolster it and keep the team confident. 

We get Johansson and Livingstone or another RHD or keep Bear there is no room for Schenn. 

If the team gets them, of which there's no guarantee. Same with Bear. 

We want to get younger and better so again no reason at all to bring him back unless for an extra.

The team is one of the younger rosters in the NHL now, so that's already been achieved. To succeed in the war that's the playoffs you need warriors, not just young players. Especially if you want your young players not to be injured.

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The team is one of the younger rosters in the NHL now, so that's already been achieved. To succeed in the war that's the playoffs you need warriors, not just young players. Especially if you want your young players not to be injured.

Well I agree that we would need a capable 7 th D man and that could be Schenn or Bear. But as a starter no way as we have seen so far without him the D has been better.

1 hour ago, cripplereh said:

Well I agree that we would need a capable 7 th D man and that could be Schenn or Bear. But as a starter no way as we have seen so far without him the D has been better.

I’d say not having OEL in the lineup has made the defense better than having Schenn out. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

We have a two season learning situation.

So adding two years on each player means they been tougher when we get deep in playoff

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Remember when Bo was second in the league in goals and on pace for 70? :lol:

Don’t look now but Kuzmenko is about to catch him! 

Petey should get there soon enough too.

I believe he was on pace for 90 points before the trade.  Miller was on pace for 74 points.  Currently, BO has 63 points and Miller has 62 points.  So, BO is now on pace for around 70 points.  Miller probably gets 80-85 points...

• Cheers 1