The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

2 hours ago, coryberg said:

Actually around the draft it was widely speculated that the Devils would take hunter shinkaruk at #9. His comparable was Zack Parise, they ended up bringing him in for 3 interviews (more than any other player).

If only they did, maybe we would have taken Shea Theodore with the 24th pick. Or more likely Dickinson.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I know little about Hronek, but he was one of DET's better D and the Canucks do need good RDs badly. Hope there aren't future injuries with him and he makes me forget about the 1st and 2nd. Watching the U18 there are a lot of really good prospects, I wish the Canucks had more picks.

Raty needs time and work (confidence), but he could become a good C one day

I wonder if Beauvillier (and others) could be traded, or if he'll be a part of the roster. Canucks have a lot of wingers and some will need to go. 

Boeser - $6,650,000

Kuzmenko - $5,500,000

Garland - $4,950,000

Mikheyev - $4,750,000

Beauvillier - $4,150,000

Pearson - LTIR

all $1 million or less

Podkolzin

Kravtsov - RFA needs to be re-signed

Joshua

Studnicka

Di Giuseppe

McDonough ?

Hoglander ?

Yup. I would expect we are trading at least one of New Beau, Garland, or Boeser this summer.  Got to reallocate cap from wing to 3C. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Yup. I would expect we are trading at least one of New Beau, Garland, or Boeser this summer.  Got to reallocate cap from wing to 3C. 

Hogs can replace Beau or Garland and we likely won't lose any production, but I think Brock is going to get one more year with us, which I'm happy about. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Hogs can replace Beau or Garland and we likely won't lose any production, but I think Brock is going to get one more year with us, which I'm happy about. 

Agreed. I'm hopeful Allvin can get us a 3C in a hockey trade for Beau or Garland. Even is it's an older guy is fine. Brock is going to have a big year. Glad to keep him too. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Agreed. I'm hopeful Allvin can get us a 3C in a hockey trade for Beau or Garland. Even is it's an older guy is fine. Brock is going to have a big year. Glad to keep him too. 

If we can, in fact, clear some cap, I'd like to see Barbashev signed as our 3C. Then, when Raty is ready in a couple years to step into the 3C role, Barbs can move to the wing where he's better suited anyways. 

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

11 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

If we can, in fact, clear some cap, I'd like to see Barbashev signed as our 3C. Then, when Raty is ready in a couple years to step into the 3C role, Barbs can move to the wing where he's better suited anyways. 

Barbashev would be an awesome addition, I really like this player, and he is also versatile enough to jump in to the top 6 when needed too.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Getting Hronek for a mid to late first rounder was a steal. He's 25 and will anchor our second pair for the foreseeable future. It's a fact he was the Wings top D man as evidenced by their huge drop off after he went out. Big win for us in all ways dumping Bo. We aren't stuck with his elephant in the room contract; we get Hronek; and we get new Beau (who is better than old Beau) and Raty, who is already better defensively than old Bo.

Brilliant trade by Allvin!  

Hronek was on pace to score 10+ goals and 50+ points.  That type of defenceman does not belong on a second pairing - at least not on a team with a weak blueline like ours.  He has one year left to prove his worth.  If he keeps up with what he achieved in Detroit, we are going to have to pay the man at least $6.5 million.  Does a second-pairing D-man deserve that kind of money?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Hronek was on pace to score 10+ goals and 50+ points.  That type of defenceman does not belong on a second pairing - at least not on a team with a weak blueline like ours.  He has one year left to prove his worth.  If he keeps up with what he achieved in Detroit, we are going to have to pay the man at least $6.5 million.  Does a second-pairing D-man deserve that kind of money?

That's a very good point. It would be great to play Hronek with Hughes in our top pairing.  But who plays on our second pairing?  Not too sure if we can afford the luxury of Hronek with Hughes. But we could play Hronek as the anchor for our second pairing. He'd play 22-25 minutes per game, and so would Quinn. We would pretty much have either Quinn or Hronek on the ice the whole game 5 on 5 and PP. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think for Brock he is who he is a solid 50 to 60 pt player. It's a big ask to think he's all of sudden going have another breakthrough.

34 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I think for Brock he is who he is a solid 50 to 60 pt player. It's a big ask to think he's all of sudden going have another breakthrough.

Bo is a 50-60 point player. Brock has a lot more skill and vision than Bo. I can see Brock being a 30-40 guy next season. 70 points. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bo is a 50-60 point player. Brock has a lot more skill and vision than Bo. I can see Brock being a 30-40 guy next season. 70 points. 

He just has a different vibe to him right now.  He has had such a rough go of it the last couple of years.  Always seemed like a cloud was hanging over him.  (Understandable for sure) It’s almost like he’s found his passion for the game again.  I’d like to see what that looks like on the ice.  Especially if the rest of the team is also of a similar mindset.

If physical conditioning is/was as big of a deal as RT has hinted at then you have to wonder…. How improved can these guys be with a little bit of hard work?  

7 minutes ago, hammertime said:

This thread is crap. Bo deserves better. Maybe he was right the fans in this city are crap. 

He gave us nearly a good decade. I'm glad we didn't sign that contract but I hope he continues to have success in his career post canucks.

I was a big Horvat supporter but he set himself up for this.  I don’t have a big problem with what he said.  He can say it but people are “free” :bigblush: to rip him for it as well.  

I say let him eat his words!

• elephant 4

7 hours ago, HKSR said:

Being really realistic about it, Bo is probably a player somewhere between what he's doing in NYI now and how he was producing with the Canucks this past year.  So where does that place him?  Probably a 25 to 30 goal guy and given he's never been much of a play driver, I'd say a good year for him would be 30 assists.  That puts him in the 60 point territory.  The only way I see him cracking 70 points consistently is if he becomes a 40 goal guy, which is possible, but even then, the $8.5M is still a significant overpayment.  For $8.5M, I'd expect 75 to 80 points from him while playing hard minutes.  I just don't see that happening consistently (30 assists per season means he would need to be a 45 to 50 goal man).

Ya for sure that’s the evaluation. I did think he had a playoff gear and a premium power play producer but the playoff gear is missing here he’s not hurt them but he hasn’t been a $8.5M difference maker 

7 hours ago, mll said:

Meier hasn't been invisible though.  He's made an impact without appearing on the score sheet like playing the screen at the net or creating space for their lighter Fs.  He hasn't got points for it but he's noticeable.  

I wasn’t saying anything negative about meier but ya I do think meier price tag is a little stop $ wise with his QO but money aside. He’s a good fit there. They don’t have any skilled forwards with weight to their game like him 

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

This thread is crap. Bo deserves better. Maybe he was right the fans in this city are crap. 

He gave us nearly a good decade. I'm glad we didn't sign that contract but I hope he continues to have success in his career post canucks.

Nahhhh.  
He made his bed, now he has to sleep in it.  
He is a big boy.   He will be fine.  

• elephant 3

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

Actually posters are simply stating facts about Bo. It’s that those facts are he’s a 50-60 point player who is average defensively.  Like Joe Friday said, “Just the facts”.  

• Cheers 1
  • elephant 1