The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

On 2/1/2023 at 11:15 PM, wai_lai416 said:

lol the fact that they didn't even shop around the islander offers to give any other team a chance to do better is a big fail already.. u think the islander offer was sooooooooooo good that no team can even come close to matching it?

You dont know s$#t

• Like 1

I thought the trade gave us a first rounder this year, unless NYI had a pick at 12 or under. On 650 radio today, it seems like they were saying that 12 and under is protected, but that NYI could also keep a 13th or later pick if they wanted and choose to defer our pick to an unprotected 2024 pick. If that’s true, that sucks. Does anyone know if that is accurate?

8 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

I thought the trade gave us a first rounder this year, unless NYI had a pick at 12 or under. On 650 radio today, it seems like they were saying that 12 and under is protected, but that NYI could also keep a 13th or later pick if they wanted and choose to defer our pick to an unprotected 2024 pick. If that’s true, that sucks. Does anyone know if that is accurate?

lol, you would rather have a 20th OA this year than an unprotected next year? they have a bunch of UFAs the feeling is they may suck next year 

12 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

12th and under protected with NYI having option to give us this year's even if it's under 12th. 

Next year's unprotected.  

Ofcourse next year's unprotected would be great. Not sure why you think that sucks. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

12th and under protected with NYI having option to give us this year's even if it's under 12th. 

Next year's unprotected.  

Ofcourse next year's unprotected would be great. Not sure why you think that sucks. 

Thats not the question. On 650 they were stating that the Isles could also keep a 13th, 14th, 15th, etc. pick this year and defer to 2024. My question is if only 1-12 are protected or if they can defer any pick this year.

7 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

Thats not the question. On 650 they were stating that the Isles could also keep a 13th, 14th, 15th, etc. pick this year and defer to 2024. My question is if only 1-12 are protected or if they can defer any pick this year.

I heard 650 as well.  The pick is top 12 protected.  If the pick is 13th or higher, the Canucks get the pick automatically.  If it's 12th or lower the Islanders have the option to keep the pick or give it to Vancouver...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I heard 650 as well.  The pick is top 12 protected.  If the pick is 13th or higher, the Canucks get the pick automatically.  If it's 12th or lower the Islanders have the option to keep the pick or give it to Vancouver...

But after the draft lottery, right? 

If they finish 15th last, they could jump 10 spots to 5th, then they keep it 

11 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

But after the draft lottery, right? 

If they finish 15th last, they could jump 10 spots to 5th, then they keep it 

Yes, the pick is not determined until after the lottery takes place.  That is the whole reason why it is top 12 protected.  The Islanders wouldn't have needed to do that if the lottery did not exist. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, the pick is not determined until after the lottery takes place.  That is the whole reason why it is top 12 protected.  The Islanders wouldn't have needed to do that if the lottery did not exist. 

Yeah, I get that. First time I’ve seen top 12 specifically though, so I thought it could have been tied to the latest possible position that could move up to draft 1,2 or 3. If that makes sense?

22 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Thank you. That was my original understanding, but it seemed like they said that the Isles could also keep a lower pick, like 13th as well. That is what I’m referring to as sucking, since a 13th pick in this draft is considerable better than a similar pick in 2024. If that wasn’t what they said, then I’m relieved.

• Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Yeah, I get that. First time I’ve seen top 12 specifically though, so I thought it could have been tied to the latest possible position that could move up to draft 1,2 or 3. If that makes sense?

You can move up a maximum of 10 spots in the lottery.  So, the 11th place team can still win the lottery or get the 2nd pick.  Not sure why they picked top 12 protected instead of top 11.  My thinking is that they have 12 guys that they like in the draft, so they wanted the option to keep the 12th pick if they chose to.  They will probably make that assessment prior to the lottery in terms of their scout's feedback...

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

You can move up a maximum of 10 spots in the lottery.  So, the 11th place team can still win the lottery or get the 2nd pick.  Not sure why they picked top 12 protected instead of top 11.  My thinking is that they have 12 guys that they like in the draft, so they wanted the option to keep the 12th pick if they chose to.  They will probably make that assessment prior to the lottery in terms of their scout's feedback...

Copy that.  Yeah, I thought that too - maybe they see a drop off in talent after the top 12

• Upvote 1

Just now, N4ZZY said:

Thought this was supposed to be a deep draft? 

It is, but there are always tiers. Seems like everyone agrees there’s a drop off after 3-4. Maybe they think the next one is at 12. 

It could also be that they were 12 from the bottom when they made the trade, so they’re basically hedging that if Bo doesn’t improve their standings, the pick is deferred.

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1