The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

Just now, Coconuts said:

I get what you're saying, and bringing in a center prospect was an absolutel need

But no, he's neither of those things yet, time will tell what Raty does or doesn't end up being 

He's a pretty good bet to be a 3C.  Everyone wanted to trade BO for picks and prospects.  That's exactly what we did.  And we weakened our team considerably so we can go full on tank hard for Bedard.  The fact that some people are upset about this is quite strange given all the of tank for Bedard and rebuild talk that's been going on around here these past few weeks...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Do you legitimately think the islanders have any chance getting past Boston, Toronto, Carolina, NJD or Tampa?

even IF they squeak in they will be hammered on the score board getting boston in the first round.

The islanders aren't even top 16 currently....

Side note 

Canucks draft Cory Schneider 

develop him into a Starting Goalie 

Canucks trade Schneider to NJD for pick #9(lamorello)

canucks draft, develop and eventually name #9 pick,Bo Horvat team captain.

canucks trade Horvat to the Islanders(lamorello) for a 1st, raty and Beauvillier. 

Corey Schneider trade tree could last a very long time. I think the record for us is the Trevor Linden one. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Toews said:

Satisfied with the return, those who think that we should have gotten the sun, moon and the stars for Horvat were ignoring the reality we were facing of having Horvat walk or our trade options dry up at the deadline. I wonder now if the Canucks and Islanders were discussing Horvat at last year's draft. We always assumed it was Miller they were talking about, but I have my doubts now. I am surprised how underrated Raty is in this thread.

I haven't seen a single person unhappy about Raty

I don't really know the return value here......came here looking for some knowledgable insight.  With that said, it has the feel of both freeing up cap space, improving our draft order and gaining a first rounder. If they are in the position to take on some terrible expiring contracts for draft picks (to help teams looking to win now), all the better.

This team really has to suck for a couple of years and lose a couple of big contacts before they can get better in my opinion.  This is a step in the right direction despite the unknown of the two players coming back.  With that said, I would have loved for that draft pick to be unprotected if they were to sign Bo to a long term contract.

16 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It's ok to be and feel underwhelmed by this deal.  

it's not negative to dislike the key assets of need being ignored again

It's also not negative or whining to have wanted a better overall return.

This is absolutely a wait and see deal.  But it checked none of the boxes that literally every single hockey fan and analyst know needs to be checked and people are rightfully shocked that this was what came back with salary retained.

Fair point. But we did get a center back no ?

2 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Islanders need to go for it.

They are in their first window with Barzal... players of his quality usually get two chances... and the rest of the team behind him is older.

They are missing scoring... otherwise they are not bad defensively.

If they can bring up their goal output they have a good chance of making the playoffs and potentially going on a run.

Bo should add the scoring they need... he is a proven PP scorer.

And he will be a defensive improvement with what he brings in the faceoff circle and PK.

He gives them a bonafide 2nd line center behind Barzal... double threat which many teams don't have.

I think it makes sense... assuming Bo continues to score... even if he gets 45 goals for the year, i.e. 14 in the 30 games with NYI, that is a big addition.  And the potential he might get 20-25 is something you can't overlook.  Barzal is an awesome passer... and he really opens up the ice and draws D... something Bo would thrive on.

We shall see.

The point remains the same, they’re not a team that’s close. They’re like us in a lot of ways they just haven’t realized they’re not one piece away.

• Cheers 1

I'm underwhelmed with the return albeit for a UFA we could lose for nothing. So from that standpoint it's a nice change. Still, I would have preferred to trade Miller last year or not sign Mikhyev in order to keep him. I'm just not confident in this management group to utilize that first pick effectively.

We have a porous D. When are we going to fix that if not with a key piece like Bo?

Edited by TheCammer

1 minute ago, stawns said:

We don't know that and the 10-20 range is good, but just a little above average, that's why they top 12 protected.

For all we know they light up the league next year and the Canucks pick in the 20's

Top 20 this year is very solid, could easily walk away with a top 6 forward or top 4 dman in that range this year. NYI will have to get past Carolina or Boston to make it past the first round, and will have a hard time dropping below 12th with the addition of Bo and teams selling. 

Just now, DeNiro said:

The point remains the same, they’re not a team that’s close. They’re like us in a lot of ways they just haven’t realized they’re not one piece away.

They are a lot closer... a couple years ago they went deep in the playoffs... only beaten by Tampa.

As another poster said Bo could have taken the 6.5 x 8 and been a multi millionaire living the good life on the west coast with his family. He chose to hold out for the big bucks.

people complain that Miller was signed before Bo, but in a way how this all went down is on Bo himself

Why did Bo wait until his contract year to step it up? Miller played hard last season and was in the same contract position. He could have waited till this season too.  It kind of makes me a little peaved off frankly to see how much better Bo could have been the last number of years if he’d have given 100% all along.

Miller stepped it up last season, while Bo played out the season accumulating roughly half the points of JT. Surprise surprise… Miller was valued more and signed first.

It’s almost like the perfect plan for a player who wants out, by putting his GM in a hands tied situation by playing himself out of affordability by inflating his numbers in his contract year.  On a cash strapped team. Where has this Bo been? If he’d have put in more effort last season, he’d have been signed, and JT traded. Simple as that.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3