The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Nikita Tryamkin eyeing NHL return

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Just a little information, and a question for brighter minds:

The 2022–23 KHL season is the 15th season of the Kontinental Hockey League. There are 22 teams that will compete in the 68 regular season games, beginning on 1 September 2022 and is scheduled to finish on 26 February 2023.[1]

Tryamkins Team Avtomobilist is currently in playoff contention position:

67196CC9-61FD-416D-B551-CC47CBA1E6C4.thumb.jpeg.10c4842a68179e398b55760b5eb4d2bb.jpeg

The KHL regular season will end on Feb 26, with the Gagarin Cup playoffs scheduled between Mar 1 and Apr 29.

Tryamkin should be released from his contract after his last KHL game.

As a UFA .

Because he is a UFA from the KHL ( not the NHL)  while the NHL is active ,    

I THINK   he is eligible to sign in the NHL almost immediately ??

I know Radulov came back to Montreal as UFA to begin 2016-17 NHL season.

But he also played 20 KHL playoff games prior to that , which extended his playing time.

perhaps @lmm or someone else has a better understanding of this situation. ??

If Tryamkins  seasons ends at the end of the KHL regular season, and is released from his team as a UFA. 

Is he eligible to sign in the NHL as a UFA ?

( this seems to be what Evander Kanes status was last spring before signing with the Oilers)

I'll go with , 'I think so" 

but you probably really want @MLL 's opinion on that

I recall Esa Tikkanaen coming in for the finals

but that was a long time ago

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

He is UFA .  Clean and clear I beleive.

I think the HalfDozer is corrrect

I think its to stop teams from burying guys in Europe until the playoffs

so, the Bruins could sign him, and the Canucks could claim him 

He could sign on the first day of the playoffs, and his season would be done

Edited by lmm
  • Cheers 1

How about we forget Tree altogether. Dude dusted us off for father Russia. And why not. It's his home. But let's move on. He's no Zdeno Chara, and probably not even a Tyler Myers, so why bother?!?!?!?!????

I'd rather the ghost of Luc Bourdon over Tree! At least he was a spirit with spirit!

Go Canucks Go!

• Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 2

If we can sign Tryamkin, trade Schenn for a younger version of himself (Schmidt was a nice proposal from someone previously), sign Livingstone, we put ourselves in a better position to draft BPA as well.  

RD depth before the draft starts to look decent:

Bear

Tryamkin

Livingstone

Schmidt

Not gamebreakers, but the right complimentary pieces for the right side who are still young.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Just a little information, and a question for brighter minds:

The 2022–23 KHL season is the 15th season of the Kontinental Hockey League. There are 22 teams that will compete in the 68 regular season games, beginning on 1 September 2022 and is scheduled to finish on 26 February 2023.[1]

Tryamkins Team Avtomobilist is currently in playoff contention position:

67196CC9-61FD-416D-B551-CC47CBA1E6C4.thumb.jpeg.10c4842a68179e398b55760b5eb4d2bb.jpeg

The KHL regular season will end on Feb 26, with the Gagarin Cup playoffs scheduled between Mar 1 and Apr 29.

Tryamkin should be released from his contract after his last KHL game.

As a UFA .

Because he is a UFA from the KHL ( not the NHL)  while the NHL is active ,    

I THINK   he is eligible to sign in the NHL almost immediately ??

I know Radulov came back to Montreal as UFA to begin 2016-17 NHL season.

But he also played 20 KHL playoff games prior to that , which extended his playing time.

perhaps @lmm or @mll or someone else has a better understanding of this situation. ??

If Tryamkins  seasons ends at the end of the KHL regular season, and is released from his team as a UFA. 

Is he eligible to sign in the NHL as a UFA ?

( this seems to be what Evander Kanes status was last spring before signing with the Oilers)

He isn’t eligible this season.

There is a reason you don’t see a bunch of KHL veterans coming over at the end of each season.

College players as long as they have their rights owned by a team already can turn pro and play including the playoffs when their seasons are done, and AHL players who are already on NHL contracts can come up to the NHL.

Edited by Provost

I wouldn't be surprised if Tryamkin didn't like it here. The fanbase can be brutal and focused on every little detail that happen. CDC's probably the most positive regiment of the fanbase, which is saying something. Not every hockey player's going to want that.

And this doesn't even consider whatever WD and/or the team itself might have done to him mentally.

Edited by The Lock

We have a bit of Russian influence on the team so he might not mind coming back to Vancouver. If he’s coming back to the NHL I wouldn’t mind him back on the team if the contract is fair. He wasn’t special but our defence for years now have just played too small. Tryamkin never got pushed around! Would be nice having a big guy that actually plays big unlike Myers who seems to avoid hitting guys at times.

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Provost said:

He isn’t eligible this season.

There is a reason you don’t see a bunch of KHL veterans coming over at the end of each season.

College players as long as they have their rights owned by a team already can turn pro and play including the playoffs when their seasons are done, and AHL players who are already on NHL contracts can come up to the NHL.

What rule says he is not eligible?

what dates are involved?

If E Kane came sign as a free agent in Feb.

What rule says a Free Agent can’t sign before the NHL playoffs,  which is when the playoff roster comes into play.?

Just trying to figure it out.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

If we can sign Tryamkin, trade Schenn for a younger version of himself (Schmidt was a nice proposal from someone previously), sign Livingstone, we put ourselves in a better position to draft BPA as well.  

RD depth before the draft starts to look decent:

Bear

Tryamkin

Livingstone

Schmidt

Not gamebreakers, but the right complimentary pieces for the right side who are still young.

Tryamkin can swap sides,  and is comfortable doing that..  that helps.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I think Tryamkin could have greatly helped this team if he'd have stuck here.  With proper NHL coaching. And as well, if Nikita himself was more flexible.  I just think Benning was clueless, as usual, about how to handle him, how to convince him of the advantages of sticking it out. We now know how horribly incompetent he was at communication during the Great Purge of Marky, Tanev, Stecher,, Tofolli.

I have a hard time believing that another GM and coach could not have made use of that asset.  If nothing else, develop him and trade him for SOMETHING at least.  Benning was completely in a fog about how to deal with him. And seemed to take it personally with his low ball offer after Tryamkin said he'd matured and wanted a second chance here.  From my eye test memories, he used his size to elicit intimidation in the other team.  I remember the whole vibe of the lineup on the ice change both for the Canucks and the opposition whenever he started a shift. We haven't had that kind of an intimidating player who could also play the game since Gino. Not even that he had to fight. No one wanted to take him on. I remember having a laugh in how he could just slowly squish players into the boards until they fell down.  

Now?  He's somewhat damaged goods, but he'd still be a step up from Stillman and for the money, Myers too.   If we could sign him for 2 mill or less.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

8 hours ago, Sativika said:

How about we forget Tree altogether. Dude dusted us off for father Russia. And why not. It's his home. But let's move on. He's no Zdeno Chara, and probably not even a Tyler Myers, so why bother?!?!?!?!????

I'd rather the ghost of Luc Bourdon over Tree! At least he was a spirit with spirit!

Go Canucks Go!

I agree,

This guy didn't appreciate the opportunity that he had to play in the best hockey league in the world.

He balked at being sent to the AHL for development and was all in all entitled that he belonged in the NHL. A bit of AHL seasoning would have gone a long way in helping him but he said no and eventually slammed the door on the Canucks.

Persistence - Despair, Inc.

• RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

As much as I would love to have Tryamkin back, he's set himself out to test the market and will chase after the biggest contract he can get no matter who offers it.

46 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I think Tryamkin could have greatly helped this team if he'd have stuck here.  With proper NHL coaching. And as well, if Nikita himself was more flexible.  I just think Benning was clueless, as usual, about how to handle him, how to convince him of the advantages of sticking it out. We now know how horribly incompetent he was at communication during the Great Purge of Marky, Tanev, Stecher,, Tofolli.

I have a hard time believing that another GM and coach could not have made use of that asset.  If nothing else, develop him and trade him for SOMETHING at least.  Benning was completely in a fog about how to deal with him. And seemed to take it personally with his low ball offer after Tryamkin said he'd matured and wanted a second chance here.  From my eye test memories, he used his size to elicit intimidation in the other team.  I remember the whole vibe of the lineup on the ice change both for the Canucks and the opposition whenever he started a shift. We haven't had that kind of an intimidating player who could also play the game since Gino. Not even that he had to fight. No one wanted to take him on. I remember having a laugh in how he could just slowly squish players into the boards until they fell down.  

Now?  He's somewhat damaged goods, but he'd still be a step up from Stillman and for the money, Myers too.   If we could sign him for 2 mill or less.

I think he is attached to Vancouver,  

man’s now with a few good other Russian on the team , I think the transition here might be worth his gamble and ours on a single year show me contract.

think he signs a 1.5 - 2.5 one year contract to get in a fold that should have been here for him in the beginning.

I hope Gonchar is able to talk to him,.  Between him and Foote..  they could Help Nik become the player he wants to be.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Sativika said:

Go Canucks Go!

6 minutes ago, GB5 said:

I agree,

This guy didn't appreciate the opportunity that he had to play in the best hockey league in the world.

He balked at being sent to the AHL for development and was all in all entitled that he belonged in the NHL. A bit of AHL seasoning would have gone a long way in helping him but he said no and eventually slammed the door on the Canucks.

You guys have no idea of life inside Russia , and what insecurities that government puts into people.

my hat goes off to Podkolzkin,.  Who has stuck it , and then has created the catalyst for Ilya And Kuzmenko to feel comfortable speaking there language in.

Its too bad something better wasn’t set up to accommodate a young Russian man before Tryamkin arrived.

im hopeful he gets a better opportunity, it especially helps that Gonchar is here..

hats off to this management group for filling a void needed in many ways,  and so much better than having Willy Disneyland as your Coach.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, GB5 said:

I agree,

You're right in that he didn't appreciate the opportunity then.

But he did not slam the door. 

He tried to return in 2020, but the cap and covid issues were an excuse, I mean problem, for Benning

Then he tried again in April 2021, saying he wanted to sign here.  His agent said he has matured since. Realized he had to get in better shape, and promised to come to camp early to train with the team trainers.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/mature-slimmed-down-tryamkin-wants-return-canucks

The 26-year-old is married and has a child now. He’s more mature, Diamond says, with a much bigger commitment to fitness.

“It’s a different person from the guy who left Vancouver four years ago,” said Diamond. “He’s made a commitment to being in shape, to being the best pro he can be, to having a good diet. He’s slimmed down significantly since then. He really is all in.”

So Benning responded by offering him a smaller contract than the KHL would pay him.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, kilgore said:

You're right in that he didn't appreciate the opportunity then.

But he did not slam the door. 

He tried to return in 2020, but the cap and covid issues were an excuse, I mean problem, for Benning

Then he tried again in April 2021, saying he wanted to sign here.  His agent said he has matured since. Realized he had to get in better shape, and promised to come to camp early to train with the team trainers.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/mature-slimmed-down-tryamkin-wants-return-canucks

The 26-year-old is married and has a child now. He’s more mature, Diamond says, with a much bigger commitment to fitness.

“It’s a different person from the guy who left Vancouver four years ago,” said Diamond. “He’s made a commitment to being in shape, to being the best pro he can be, to having a good diet. He’s slimmed down significantly since then. He really is all in.”

So Benning responded by offering him a smaller contract than the KHL would pay him.

I’d also suggest that if we’re going to criticize Tryamkin for balking at the AHL, we should also criticize management for giving him a Euro out clause on his ELC and selling him on an NHL opportunity, when they negotiated that contract.

(I’d also say his agent deserves some criticism. I’ve never been a fan of Todd TBH.)

Not surprising Tryamkin wasn’t super psyched about the idea of getting sent down to the minors, as well as going from $832.5K to 70K salary.

I also think that Russian players are naturally a little more skeptical and distrustful of organizations that appear to be going back on their promises, or simply messing with a player’s money.

Better communication between all parties would have gone a long way IMO, and that should should have started as far back as when they were talking terms on that initial (ELC) contract, and discussing plans for his development and his best pathway to a lasting NHL career.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1