The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Where Else Do Ex-Canucks Players End Up?

HKSR

To VAN:

Connor Zary

2nd Round Pick

Nikita Zadorov

To CAL:

Brock Boeser ($1M retained for cap reasons)

Riley Stillman

Why does CAL do this? Because they're looking for more offensive help with a non-rental forward:  https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/countdown-to-tradecentre-brad-treliving-reveals-calgary-flames-wish-list-for-trade-deadline-1.1914669

Why does VAN do this?  Sheds cap, sheds a Stillman, and we acquire a promising centre prospect and a 2nd round pick. 

Net cap savings of $3.25M.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

What does his value go to if we refuse to retain? Kanucks25 might be right in that case.

Still quite a bit more than "zero". I’d almost wager it would be more worth it to keep him, let his wrist heal properly over the summer and see if he gets back to the Boeser we’re used to seeing. 

• There it is 1

1 minute ago, Pears said:

Still quite a bit more than "zero". I’d almost wager it would be more worth it to keep him, let his wrist heal properly over the summer and see if he gets back to the Boeser we’re used to seeing. 

Yup.  Much rather try and do a full dumperoo of Garland. 

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Actual NHL teams would disagree with you

Oh wow.

Some random idiot on twitter who constantly spins the stuff he's "quoting", referring to an insider who has no sources left in the NHL.

I've definitely been proven wrong here. :rolleyes:

And, as @Ghostsof1915 mentioned, the tweet doesn't refute anything I said.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Oh wow.

Some random idiot on twitter who constantly spins the stuff he's "quoting", referring to an insider who has no sources left in the NHL.

Imagine being so negative that you actually want to be right about a top 6 forward having zero trade value. 

Boeser is only 25, has scored a minimum of 40 points in every season. If not for injuries/covid stuff/his dads cancer battle and passing, I’d guess at least 3 seasons would have a real shot at 60 points or more. Boeser has struggled and is still putting up good offensive numbers. Is Boeser going to command a Horvat return? No. Does he have value to other teams? Absolutely. If Boeser stayed healthy and found his game, his value would really skyrocket. It’s a shame he’s gone through so much. 

• There it is 2

16 minutes ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

Imagine being so negative that you actually want to be right about a top 6 forward having zero trade value. 

Boeser is only 25, has scored a minimum of 40 points in every season. If not for injuries/covid stuff/his dads cancer battle and passing, I’d guess at least 3 seasons would have a real shot at 60 points or more. Boeser has struggled and is still putting up good offensive numbers. Is Boeser going to command a Horvat return? No. Does he have value to other teams? Absolutely. If Boeser stayed healthy and found his game, his value would really skyrocket. It’s a shame he’s gone through so much. 

I remember years ago @kanucks25 tried to "break" a Corey Perry trade to the Canucks thay ended up being very wrong so do with that information that you will. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Oh wow.

Who crapped in your Count Chocula?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Who crapped in your Count Chocula?

5 hours ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

It's not negative, it's just being real.

If you follow the NHL you know what the value is of wingers with term.

Look at the return Bjorkstrand and Pacioretty garnered recently.

Perhaps Boeser was a bounce-back candidate coming into this year but his play is even worse this year than it was last, at least away from the puck.

I've actually been a defender of Boeser for most of his career, because despite his slow skating he was always an effective player outside of his points; he wasn't ever going to kill penalties or anything but he was not a liability defensively and he was strong on the puck and on the boards... that's been pretty much gone for two seasons now. If I'm another team, why am I taking on 13M+ in a winger who is already slow, perhaps has lost a step he cannot afford to lose, and perhaps is injury prone.

This is a type of player you take a gamble on free, you don't pay premium assets for him.

6.65M Boeser doesn’t value much value in a flat cap world. Better cap spent elsewhere. 

Boeser under 4.5M sure teams might take the risk. We need a good enough return to warrant retention for a couple seasons though. 

Probably better to wait since he’s likely to get PP1 time now. Should try to pump him. 

9 hours ago, HKSR said:

To VAN:

Connor Zary

2nd Round Pick

Nikita Zadorov

To CAL:

Brock Boeser ($1M retained for cap reasons)

Riley Stillman

Why does CAL do this? Because they're looking for more offensive help with a non-rental forward:  https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/countdown-to-tradecentre-brad-treliving-reveals-calgary-flames-wish-list-for-trade-deadline-1.1914669

Why does VAN do this?  Sheds cap, sheds a Stillman, and we acquire a promising centre prospect and a 2nd round pick. 

Net cap savings of $3.25M.

How dare you talk about our tankmaster general like that

• Haha 1

Zadorov has been one of their best defencemen, I knew he would be and really wanted us to sign him for 4M instead of Mikheyev in the off-season. Without sounding too dramatic, I think one little move like that would have had a MASSIVE impact on our team - a big physical strong defenceman who can play either side, solidify our defence, play with Hughes and dare I say if we had one more top-4 D-man and one less winger, we'd be a playoff team.

But anyway, Calgary locked him and smartly so. Tanev's out injured now, Zadorov has been solid for them. I doubt they trade him, but they'd certainly want some scoring because Kadri and Huberdeau just aren't gelling well. I doubt Boeser is a Sutter-type player but I'm sure if Calgary continue to stink, Sutter's gone in the off-season anyway.

I think this is an easy trade, they have 5.5M worth of Lucic who expires this off-season who's not doing much anymore, and they do have around 1.5M in cap space. 

We could easily do a Boeser for Lucic + 2nd round pick trade. That being said, their bottom pairing defencemen are quite weak. If we throw them Schenn, I think that 2nd becomes a first easily. It'd be a solid 15th overall-ish pick, but obviously a big price to pay. If they really wanted I'd retain 1M on Boeser for that.

TO CGY: Boeser (1m retained) + Schenn

TO VAN: Lucic + 1st

Would hurt to lose these guys, but taking on bad cap for a first is what we have to do to properly rebuild...I mean retool...

9 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

It's not negative, it's just being real.

If you follow the NHL you know what the value is of wingers with term.

Look at the return Bjorkstrand and Pacioretty garnered recently.

Perhaps Boeser was a bounce-back candidate coming into this year but his play is even worse this year than it was last, at least away from the puck.

I've actually been a defender of Boeser for most of his career, because despite his slow skating he was always an effective player outside of his points; he wasn't ever going to kill penalties or anything but he was not a liability defensively and he was strong on the puck and on the boards... that's been pretty much gone for two seasons now. If I'm another team, why am I taking on 13M+ in a winger who is already slow, perhaps has lost a step he cannot afford to lose, and perhaps is injury prone.

This is a type of player you take a gamble on free, you don't pay premium assets for him.

I’ll give you Bjorkstrand. I think his trade was underwhelming for his talent level and it caught me off guard. Pacioretty is a different situation. He was a pure cap dump from a team in dire need of moving his out cap asap. 

I think Boeser at the deadline would be a good get for a team needing a winger for the playoffs. Especially if that team feels they are in compete window for the next 2-3 years. Boeser has absolutely struggled and the injury history is a concern, but at the end of the day he has talent and is young enough to turn it around. I think he brings back something like a 2nd and a B or B+ prospect. I assume we will retain a bit probably around 1.5 mil.