The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Elias Pettersson Happy In Vancouver? | 32 Thoughts (Sportsnet)

Rate this topic

Canuck You

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I think this is a classic case of Canucks fans reading too much into things.

He was probably just caught off guard that they were asking questions about Miller. Kind of random thing to ask in an interview.

Petey still struggles in interviews you can tell. I can see the wheels turning in his head. I don’t know if he’s just translating Swedish to English or he’s just really focused on saying the right thing.

It’s obvious they’re not best friends. They don’t need to be though. Henrik and Kesler definitely weren’t best friends.

That's a pretty good comparable.  The Sedins and Kelser didn't hang out together.  Kesler wasn't the most popular guy in the room and wasn't too friendly with the media either.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

a dressing room is made up of all kinds of personalities, no doubt, and you learn how to navigate those personalities.  However, sme personalities are hard to manage over the long term, especially the unpredictable, volatiile ones.  As Petey comes into his prime and the team becomes his, I see a lot of friction between him and Miller.

Maybe....

I think if the team is winning, you can put up with a lot of garbage...

In no world is Petey going to be Millers bitch...

and even Miller knows that. 

If they don't win, I think Petey will leave. 

on a side note, I don't think Tocchet will let Miller ruin the dressing room... There's a good few players in there, who I asume a friendly. 

What suprised me slightly, is Petey saying that it is always friends from home, he is playing games with....

That doesn't sound like a tight unit.... ?

There's a lot of talk about Miller shouting at other players....

Except for the one time, he gave both barrels to the goal keeper, iis it really that common, that he shouts at his team mates?

I can't say, I've seen him scream at his team mates, but maybe my memory has gone soft. 

Edited by spook007

3 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Maybe....

I think if the team is winning, you can put up with a lot of garbage...

In no world is Petey going to be Millers bitch...

and even Miller knows that. 

If they don't win, I think Petey will leave. 

on a side note, I don't think Tocchet will let Miller ruin the dressing room... There's a good few players in there, who I asume a friendly. 

What suprised me slightly, is Petey saying that it is always friends from home, he is playing games with....

That doesn't sound like a tight unit.... ?

I don't see Miller ever letting Petey being the big dog at the water bowl.  Imo, Miller sees this as his team now.

I also think he probably believes he has enough power to either run RT out of town if there's conflict or that he can out wait him until RT is let go.  I don't see RT and Miller co-existing long term here

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't see Miller ever letting Petey being the big dog at the water bowl.  Imo, Miller sees this as his team now.

I also think he probably believes he has enough power to either run RT out of town if there's conflict or that he can out wait him until RT is let go.  I don't see RT and Miller co-existing long term here

I wouldn’t be surprised if Tocchett has been asked to really examine Millers game and how he conducts himself in the locker room.

If he butts heads or can’t adapt to what’s being asked I think they’ll look to ship him out by the draft.

If Miller really works with Tocchett on playing the right way and being a leader I’m sure he’ll love him.

Nobody knows how this is gonna work out. I hope management really has their finger on the pulse of the team though.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I don't think management will allow that to happen...

and secondly Miller himself actually came forward to Tocchet and said, he hope Tocchet could help him learn to control his emotions. 

Will it work? Who knows, but I think its a better start, than he is given credit for....

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Why?

Seriously, Stawns, you should already know why if you've played the game or any sport at a higher competitive level. There's not one winning team I've played for on a regional, provincial, or national level - across multiple sports - that didn't have a guy or guys like Miller or Tocchet of some sort.

It's not all bad and toxic. Sure you have to manage them at times but they earn and command respect in different ways along with providing value in different ways. 

Guys can run from conflict or embrace it. There's conflict inherent in competition and different types too. Tocchet and Miller are guys that embrace it and know its value. And we'll likely see more guys signed that understand this because it'll rid us of the country club and change the culture.

With the right person in charge, these types of guys are also catalysts for accountability, structure, and cohesiveness just as much as they can be toxic, divisive or liabilities. It's not all bad. There are two sides to this coin. 

You can't be harder to play against if you're not being harder with yourself, harder in accountability as a team, learning from conflict, and playing with a harder edge as a team. For years we've been a soft team trying to be harder to play against without incorporating those harder edges into our game and collective team experience. 

And Tocchet wants the players to hold each other accountable. I'm sure Miller will play an integral role in that type of leadership. That's a good thing! Sure, that may cause short term conflict but it's the period post-conflict that leads to greater understanding and also brings the team together. This, imo, is what Tocchet is aiming to do here.

I've said it a thousand times on here ... those types of guys bring layers/dimensions/skills/traits to the team that other guys can't and or won't. And a lot of times those skills/traits/dynamics give you advantages you otherwise wouldn't have - and at times those are physical, psychological, emotional, and not so "nice" ... and you actually need those things to win against different types of teams. They're integral guys on a team that make a team harder to play against.

Although the game has changed, this still holds true from an adaptive human nature behavioral level throughout the years. The more we try to neuter those things from our game, we'll never win. 

And hey, at least give me credit for not giving you a three letter response. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 2

Just now, DeNiro said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Tocchett has been asked to really examine Millers game and how he conducts himself in the locker room.

If he butts heads or can’t adapt to what being asked I think they’ll look to ship him out by the draft.

If Miller really works with Tocchett on playing the right way and being a leader I’m sure he’ll love him.

Nobody knows how this is gonna work out. I hope management really had their finger on the pulse of the team though.

This @DeNiro... exactly this...

It might not work, but on the other hand it might exactly work, cause Miller does often bring a spark plug with him, when its not going according to plan. 

There is many ways to skin a cat, and the more you know, the bester the chance of a result. 

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

RT won’t put up with his BS. Kinda glad we have a coach who will check players and make sure they buy in or get out.

12 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Seriously, Stawns, you should already know why if you've played the game or any sport at a higher competitive level. There's not one winning team I've played for on a regional, provincial, or national level - across multiple sports - that didn't have a guy or guys like Miller or Tocchet of some sort.

It's not all bad and toxic. Sure you have to manage them at times but they earn and command respect in different ways along with providing value in different ways. 

Guys can run from conflict or embrace it. There's conflict inherent in competition and different types too. Tocchet and Miller are guys that embrace it and know its value. And we'll likely see more guys signed that understand this because it'll rid us of the country club and change the culture.

With the right person in charge, these types of guys are also catalysts for accountability, structure, and cohesiveness just as much as they can be toxic, divisive or liabilities. It's not all bad. There are two sides to this coin. 

You can't be harder to play against if you're not being harder with yourself, harder in accountability as a team, learning from conflict, and playing with a harder edge as a team. For years we've been a soft team trying to be harder to play against without incorporating those harder edges into our game and collective team experience. 

And Tocchet wants the players to hold each other accountable. I'm sure Miller will play an integral role in that type of leadership. That's a good thing! Sure, that may cause short term conflict but it's the period post-conflict that leads to greater understanding and also brings the team together. This, imo, is what Tocchet is aiming to do here.

I've said it a thousand times on here ... those types of guys bring layers/dimensions/skills/traits to the team that other guys can't and or won't. And a lot of times those skills/traits/dynamics give you advantages you otherwise wouldn't have - and at times those are physical, psychological, emotional, and not so "nice" ... and you actually need those things to win against different types of teams. They're integral guys on a team that make a team harder to play against.

Although the game has changed, this still holds true from an adaptive human nature behavioral level throughout the years. The more we try to neuter those things from our game, we'll never win. 

And hey, at least give me credit for not giving you a three letter response. 

I can tell you that there aren't many successful teams that have a player that yell at other players in the middle of a game.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Bingo and definately not a surprise!  ......and exactly why you don't fill your roster witha bunch of Swedes!    

I could see him changing his mind if he’s able to experience a playoff run.  The current roster has no idea what it’s like in this city when things really go well.  Hansen has talked about it before.  Says there is nothing cooler than winning in a Canadian city.  Our current group has never experienced this and had the fire lit in them.  

• Cheers 1