The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Elias Pettersson Happy In Vancouver? | 32 Thoughts (Sportsnet)

Rate this topic

Canuck You

11 hours ago, Baggins said:

I remember Kesler and Bieksa going at it coming off the ice and it continued on the bench. And they were good friends. I'm old enough to remember players dropping the gloves and chucking knuckles in practice and then laughing about it in interviews afterwards. 

Practice, 100%

We should also remember how fast that team fell apart after they lost the finals.......Kesler's attitude was a huge part of that.

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1

11mill per might make him happy enough to stay, 

unless he realizes he’ll get that anywhere and have a real chance to win something other than the draft  lottery which we fail to do aswell. 
he learned from Bo in this market say what the masses want to hear give no insight to how you actually feel. Media will pounce  on any tidbit of doubt or controversy and blow it up. 

media cheat sheet - 

are you happy - yes 

do you get along with everyone -  yes, 

do you see eye to eye with everyone- I mean of coarse there’s going to be different voices in the room and different ideas but we all want the same thing and that’s to win. 

can this team win - yes 

how’s the room - it’s been a emotional year

what about Toc - everyone’s buying in ,we all want to win

are you going to resign - I love this city, and the fans 

what does this team need - accountability in the room 

do you want to be the captain - I’d love to but that’s not up to me, I want to do my part to help this team win in whatever the team needs from me. 

Edited by combover

21 hours ago, Jester13 said:

The issue with Petey is he's uncomfortable being asked questions, so when that intensifies with being the captain, it could have a damaging effect on him, professionally and personally. He's an introvert, so let him be his introverted self and play hockey and lead on the ice. 

Miller respected Bruce, so I don't see why he wouldn't respect RT. RT commands a lot of respect in the hockey world. I think Miller truly does want to be better at controlling his fire, and I think RT is the guy to do it. Bruce was too easy on him. 

he might have respected BB, but he certainly couldn't reign  in his unsportsmanlike behaviour.  IN fact, it got worse under BB

4 hours ago, stawns said:

Practice, 100%

We should also remember how fast that team fell apart after they lost the finals.......Kesler's attitude was a huge part of that.

They won the Presidents Cup the season after losing in the finals. :lol:

Kesler's "attitude" had nothing to do with it. Gillis not scoring a single hit in the draft his entire time here and the team aging out had a lot to do with it though. It took too long to build a team around our best talent, plus crap drafting, created a small window for contention. 

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Baggins said:

They won the Presidents Cup the season after losing in the finals. :lol:

Kesler's "attitude" had nothing to do with it. Gillis not scoring a single hit in the draft his entire time here and the team aging out had a lot to do with it though. It took too long to build a team around our best talent, plus crap drafting, created a small window for contention. 

Where do you rate Horvat ? seems in your eyes he's little more than chopped liver.  Yeah and Gillis was the FIRST  to say we need to rebuild, echoed if you recall by Torts. Gillis if you like it or not was the most succesful GM in franchise history. I enjoyed attending game knowing that there was a good chance i would see a win and leave the game happy. Many disliked him because of his arrogance ( He didn't suffer fools easily, including FA ) Too smart by far for many hockey fans

Edited by Fred65

1 hour ago, stawns said:

he might have respected BB, but he certainly couldn't reign  in his unsportsmanlike behaviour.  IN fact, it got worse under BB

I think BB was too easy on him, mixed with Miller caring for BB as a person so much that it seemed to have inflamed his passion when things weren't going well for the team and BB was rumoured to be on the hot seat. 

On 2/6/2023 at 2:43 PM, stawns said:

I've played with some major aholes in my lfe, no one has done anything like that on the ice that I can remember.

I don't know what level of hockey you played, but in my experiences that stuff happens on the ice often enough (more so practice)....maybe with words more than the obvious physical emotion JT showed but that's not that out of the ordinary for a group of uber competitive players trying to win. I would agree doing it on a national broadcast in a professional league is not ideal, nor should it have happened. 

Edited by Harold Drunken

2 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

I don't know what level of hockey you played, but in my experiences that stuff happens on the ice often enough (more so practice)....maybe with words more than the obvious physical emotion JT showed but that's not that out of the ordinary for a group of uber competitive players trying to win. I would agree doing it on a national broadcast in a professional league is not ideal, nor should it have happened. 

yes, screaming at your goalie in the middle of a game, getting in a heated argument on the ice with a respected veteran teammate are not regular occurencs on the ice and certainly not indicative of a healthy atmosphere.

The rationalization of Miller's truly unsportsmanlike behaviour here is sad.  

• Cheers 1

On 2/6/2023 at 12:58 PM, stawns said:

Why?

Passion and emotion can be good things, it's not like the NHL doesn't have super passionate and emotional players and coaches who are highly successful. 

I've read some stories about players like MacKinnon, Johnathan Toews, Sid etc. holding guys accountable...pretty interesting for sure. It's ok to show emotion....guys not saying anything and not wanting conflict or uncomfortable conversations is likely part of the reason this team is where it is and has been labeled with the "country club" moniker. 

Just now, stawns said:

yes, screaming at your goalie in the middle of a game, getting in a heated argument on the ice with a respected veteran teammate are not regular occurencs on the ice and certainly not indicative of a healthy atmosphere.

The rationalization of Miller's truly unsportsmanlike behaviour here is sad.  

What did the last sentence of my post say?

2 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Passion and emotion can be good things, it's not like the NHL doesn't have super passionate and emotional players and coaches who are highly successful. 

I've read some stories about players like MacKinnon, Johnathan Toews, Sid etc. holding guys accountable...pretty interesting for sure. It's ok to show emotion....guys not saying anything and not wanting conflict or uncomfortable conversations is likely part of the reason this team is where it is and has been labeled with the "country club" moniker. 

as I've said many times, I like Miller when things are good, but you don't judge someone when everything is going right.  The true impact of that player is how they are and who they are when things are bad.  You don't "hold players accountable" on the ice, in front of millions of people.  And you use Mac as an example, but no one works harder is more accountable than Mac...........anyone who says JT is the same is not being honest.  He's lazy and rarely gives an honest accounting of his own play and behaviour.

Again, when Miller and the team are playing well, there are any parts of his game that I love

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, stawns said:

as I've said many times, I like Miller when things are good, but you don't judge someone when everything is going right.  The true impact of that player is how they are and who they are when things are bad.  You don't "hold players accountable" on the ice, in front of millions of people.  And you use Mac as an example, but no one works harder is more accountable than Mac...........anyone who says JT is the same is not being honest.  He's lazy and rarely gives an honest accounting of his own play and behaviour.

Again, when Miller and the team are playing well, there are any parts of his game that I love

Those are good points for sure, I don't agree with what JT did....especially considering at the time Delia was a very inexperienced backup goalie with us...he was right to wait for the benches signal and Bruce confirmed that so I'm on your side for sure. 

I'm saying there is a time and place, practice or the dressing room....not on the ice in front of everyone to see and hear that's for sure. It wasn't warranted, Delia was doing the right thing. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Those are good points for sure, I don't agree with what JT did....especially considering at the time Delia was a very inexperienced backup goalie with us...he was right to wait for the benches signal and Bruce confirmed that so I'm on your side for sure. 

I'm saying there is a time and place, practice or the dressing room....not on the ice in front of everyone to see and hear that's for sure. It wasn't warranted, Delia was doing the right thing. 

I don't have a big issue with it but for me JT is the one who should be chewed out a little bit from time to time.  It's him that needs to be pulled aside by someone else from time to time.  Part of the reason why I would not personally choose to give him the "C".  I think he'd respond well to having a leader in the room rather than being asked to be that guy.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Where do you rate Horvat ? seems in your eyes he's little more than chopped liver.  Yeah and Gillis was the FIRST  to say we need to rebuild, echoed if you recall by Torts. Gillis if you like it or not was the most succesful GM in franchise history. I enjoyed attending game knowing that there was a good chance i would see a win and leave the game happy. Many disliked him because of his arrogance ( He didn't suffer fools easily, including FA ) Too smart by far for many hockey fans

Find a post where I said Horvat is chopped liver. I've always said he's a good player and very likeable. Saying I believe Miller is the better long term option doesn't mean Horvat is chopped liver. My only actual criticism of Horvat is he doesn't throw his weight around as much as he should. And this season he's been hitting even less than previous seasons. Petey is actually throwing more hits per 60 minutes this season than Horvat.

The main reason Gillis was successful was the players he inheritted. It certainly had nothing to do with his awesome drafting. His real bonus was Hamhuis wanting to sign here and willing to sign well below market value to accomplish it. Hamhuis turned down two much higher offers because he wanted to come back to BC. That had nothing to do with Gillis really. You are right about one thing though - that was a fun team to watch.

On 2/6/2023 at 11:59 AM, ToTellTheTruth said:

It came out as a fake Miller twitter but was reputed quickly as a fake twitter account but Miller changed his own account after. 

For somebody with the handle ToTellTheTruth you sure seem to be giving off misinformation.  If he wanted out, he would never sign a 7 year extension.  

Fake twitter accounts are your claim?  There are clips/articles that say he never wanted out of Vancouver from the direct source, Miller himself.

• Cheers 1

Don't get me wrong, I love Petey, but the answer about Olympic gold vs. Stanley Cup is why I have always said all things being equal, I would take a Canadian kid every time. Hockey is THE sport and the Stanley Cup is THE symbol of excellence for Canadian kids more than it is for kids from any other country. American kids grow up thinking about football, baseball, and basket ahead of or equal to hockey. They dream of Superbowls and national championships ahead of the Stanley Cup. Canadian kids across the country find themselves on homemade sheets of ice, or like I did on a frozen lake for 12 hours a day, visualizing that breakaway goal that wins the Stanley Cup. It's why you hear about guys every year after the playoffs having surgeries to mend something they've been taping up for the past 16 games. It's why Bobbie Baun returned to a finals game six with a broken ankle to score the game winning goal. That's why I love Canadian players and have long thought our problem is not enough Canadians, and management just gave away our best Canadian player since Bieksa, Burrows, and Luongo.

• Like 1