The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New York Rangers at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 15, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

The first goal was weak definitely, the rest he didn't have much of a chance. 

And that’s exactly why JR kept saying from day one that our team wasn’t very good. It was Demko stealing wins. We have one D man. The rest are 6-9 guys. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

2 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Waith til Tocchets third season in you pass judgement.

Now it’s tank/analyse and next year it will be a middle team and maybe sneak into playoff.

Takeoff in his third season and with it being his contract year he will do a Horvat and maybe win the division.

A 6 goal against average ain't going to work. I watched the last part of the third. They played hard, controlled the puck in the Rangers end, outshot the Rangers, but giving up 5 and an empty netter isn't a system. Silovs played well, I didn't see any goals against in the third other than the empty netter. This team needs a huge upgrade on d, the thing is, they don't grow on trees. I'll ask you, how are the Canucks going to acquire these players? There isn't one team in the league that's going to give the Canucks anything for Myers, OEL, Stillman, or Bear, other than a bag of pucks, and in Myers and OEL's cases, retention. The organization has a better system playing out in Abby, than the big team has.

• Tanks a lot 1

Just now, Alflives said:

And that’s exactly why JR kept saying from day one that our team wasn’t very good. It was Demko stealing wins. We have one D man. The rest are 6-9 guys. 

I was trying to convince people before this season (who were saying this was a playoff team yadda yadda) that Demko single handily stole many of those games for us down the stretch last year. He hid a lot of this teams deficiencies, he faced a TON of pucks last year and played lights out. Without stellar goaltending, this is what you get with this team. 

• Like 2
  • Tanks a lot 1

1 minute ago, johngould21 said:

A 6 goal against average ain't going to work. I watched the last part of the third. They played hard, controlled the puck in the Rangers end, outshot the Rangers, but giving up 5 and an empty netter isn't a system. Silovs played well, I didn't see any goals against in the third other than the empty netter. This team needs a huge upgrade on d, the thing is, they don't grow on trees. I'll ask you, how are the Canucks going to acquire these players? There isn't one team in the league that's going to give the Canucks anything for Myers, OEL, Stillman, or Bear, other than a bag of pucks, and in Myers and OEL's cases, retention. The organization has a better system playing out in Abby, than the big team has.

We will buyout OEL. Myers will be traded at the 2024 TDL. Bear’s contract ends this summer. 

• Haha 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

2 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

The big team doesn’t need to do anything great now.

Regarding the D, either draft it with the picks now or trade both 1st for a kings ransom where we get a1st RHD and offload OEL at the same time.

• Haha 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

3 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

I was trying to convince people before this season (who were saying this was a playoff team yadda yadda) that Demko single handily stole many of those games for us down the stretch last year. He hid a lot of this teams deficiencies, he faced a TON of pucks last year and played lights out. Without stellar goaltending, this is what you get with this team. 

Yeah I definitely gave our guys too much credit. 

Now I see how difficult it is to get quality top 4 D men. 

Sakic did a masterful job getting a guy like Toews for a 2nd.

We obviously didn't realize what we had in Tanev and let him go for free. The work required seems daunting... 

We need to upgrade on OEL, Myers AND add another top 4.

OEL might be able to play 4D but his lack of foot speed is starting to really Show. 

• Upvote 3
  • Tanks a lot 1

4 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

For sure. It will be a long process.

Defence needs to be upgraded slowly over time, drafting them and filling your pipeline over the years and hopefully one or two will pan out and take the roster spot away from the underperforming guys already in the roster. And once you have them, you don't trade them away, especially the right handed ones unless they leave via free agency or they underperform.

We didn't follow the process and we are paying for it now. Well, I guess we could always get lucky and draft a guy like Makar or Karlsson or maybe get extremely lucky and draft a Shea Weber in the 2nd round :mellow:

• Tanks a lot 1

8 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Truthfully, this has been the case since luu.  
luu, Schneider, markstrom all single handedly stole games we had no business winning.   I knew this team was a disaster when they had to rely on goalies to win.  Solid teams rely on them occasionally.

• Upvote 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We will buyout OEL. Myers will be traded at the 2024 TDL. Bear’s contract ends this summer. 

Half our defence gone by year end. Good riddance. If Bear signs I’m ok with a 2M extension, I’m ok with that. Nothing more.

Edited by grandmaster
  • Tanks a lot 1

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yeah I definitely gave our guys too much credit. 

Now I see how difficult it is to get quality top 4 D men. 

Sakic did a masterful job getting a guy like Toews for a 2nd.

We obviously didn't realize what we had in Tanev and let him go for free. The work required seems daunting... 

We need to upgrade on OEL, Myers AND add another top 4.

OEL might be able to play 4D but his lack of foot speed is starting to really Show. 

OEL's footspeed makes him a 3LD at this point. We need a 2LD between Hughes and OEL. I think it's doable, you can find one via free agency sometimes. But I'd say we are not in a rush to find one. We aren't ready to contend now anyways so having OEL there and we lose some games this season and next season, that's fine by me.

Bigger problem is the right side. We need 1RD-2RD-Bear.

Schenn with Hughes works for the time being. So we need at least a 2RD. 

Severson is a free agent. I have a feeling that they will try to sign him.

Hughes-Schenn

OEL-Severson

Dermott-Bear

Stillman

Still not amazing... but complete overhaul will take some time and we need to draft a stud RHD.

The bottom 6 also needs upgrade. And with the right upgrades, we should be able to bring down our GAA.

• Tanks a lot 1

2 minutes ago, jyu said:

OEL's footspeed makes him a 3LD at this point. We need a 2LD between Hughes and OEL. I think it's doable, you can find one via free agency sometimes. But I'd say we are not in a rush to find one. We aren't ready to contend now anyways so having OEL there and we lose some games this season and next season, that's fine by me.

Bigger problem is the right side. We need 1RD-2RD-Bear.

Schenn with Hughes works for the time being. So we need at least a 2RD. 

Severson is a free agent. I have a feeling that they will try to sign him.

Hughes-Schenn

OEL-Severson

Dermott-Bear

Stillman

Still not amazing... but complete overhaul will take some time and we need to draft a stud RHD.

The bottom 6 also needs upgrade. And with the right upgrades, we should be able to bring down our GAA.

Ok, so let's say they sign him for $4M, $5M, or whatever the going rate for D is, and he can't play Tocchets' socalled system? I'm sorry, I don't see any system from this coaching staff. Oh, btw, has anyone seen #6, he seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

• Tanks a lot 1

34 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

with our team Drs.....both are on LTIR for life

Here's hoping. I've been quite disappointed with Lazar this year. Definitely not the grinder he was made out to be. Don't care about goal scoring, but I remember his first game back from injury earlier in the year, he had a record 6 hits in the first period. He wanted to make an impression and hit everything in sight. That lasted 1 whole game, then he was back to glancing blows and fly bys. 

As for OEL, get him on LTIR!

• Tanks a lot 1

6 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

I agree. All this chatter about ruining his confidence is absurd. If that's all it takes, than he was never going to amount to much, anyway. 

You would believe, anyone on the cusp of making the NHL would thrive on the chance. 

It was a great opportunity, and he did well. It gives him an experience to build upon. 

This game was nothing like DiPietro vs San Jose a few years back where he got lit up hard. Silovs played a very good first game. No one, including him expected us to win. He did just as good as our "veteran" back up goalies would have done, in his very first game.

He probably has more confidence now than he did before the game, because he faced his fears, he faced the Rags, and he didnt embarass himself. Thats a positive for a young goalie

• Upvote 1
  • Tanks a lot 1