The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[3-Way Trade] Maple Leafs acquire Ryan O'Reilly, Noel Acciari, Josh Pillar; Blues acquire Adam Gaudette, Mikhail Abramov, 2023 1st-round pick, 2023 3rd-round pick, 2024 2nd-round pick; Wild acquire 2025 4th-round pick

2 minutes ago, Sell.the.team said:

This is a poor retort IMO.

Clendenning looked great at the time? Never heard that before. That was a classic cut corner retool move made under the Aquaman mandate of improving in a hurry instead of being patient. That mandate seems to be the same today....

I would reckon a lot of those 19 dmen picks were late rounders (5-7 round).

Tryamkin wanted to come and play but needed assurances he would get some playing time in the NHL. 

We were so hellbent on 'doing things the right way' and 'no special treatment for anybody's...winning culture yadayadayada...that we were unwilling to do this for him.

He called our bluff.  Tryamkin looked great his one year here but WD was unwilling to give him any meaningful playing time despite us being awful and in tank mode.

OJ had injuries? More like a Fortnite addiction....

I'm fine with a few whiffs along the way, no GM has a perfect drafting record and there are so many moving parts when it comes to young men panning out.... But we were so bad for so long and management should have been acquiring way more 1st to 3rd round picks and drafting way more defenseman.

I liked Try, but some people have created this mythology around him that isn't remotely accurate.  He probably would have been a nice #5-6 dman, who could probably jump into the top 4 when need be

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

I liked Try, but some people have created this mythology around him that isn't remotely accurate.  He probably would have been a nice #5-6 dman, who could probably jump into the top 4 when need be

I think we will never know because we never gave him a fair shot.

I'm all for trying to do things properly, but I also think there are times where you make exceptions to try to be accommodating.  Tryamkin clearly was very uncomfortable with North American life and was apprehensive to playing in Utica.  I remember a few years ago I think the Bruins gave Miro Satan a NMC after he signed a very team friendly contract for the playoff run.  He didn't mind taking less cash, but he also didn't want to get sent down to the minors.  So they accomodated him by giving him special treatment in that case...

32 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think he would have been the number 3/4 guy personally. Pretty speculative either way. 

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Agree with this post except the Forsling part. Many of us were very high on him he had just had a fantastic wjc. 

Yes but Clendenning was also excelling in the AHL and looking ready to break out. Clendenning had some fantastic numbers. Its just unfortunate, not all things work out.

16 hours ago, mll said:

Barbashev apparently drawing quite a bit of interest too.

St Louis could be rebuilding/re-tooling and their Ds are apparently also available.  Parayko drawing interest but that would probably be a pre-draft trade.

I absolutely love Barbashev.  

Him and Sundqvist formed the unsung hero line of their cup run. I watched them very closely and that's who Podkolzin could turn into. 

5 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Trading for players that slept in Leaf jammies only means that your getting guys that have never seen their “real team” win a Cup. All those formative years of listening to and accepting excuses dulls the competitive hunger. 

Leafs media is all lathered up right now. Oh goood. Just means higher expectations that will be crushed come the playoffs. 

Edited by PistolPete13
  • Haha 2
  • There it is 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

44 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Trading for players that slep in Leaf jammies only means that your getting guys that have never seen their “real team” win a Cup. All those formative years of listening to and accepting excuses dulls the competitive hunger. 

Leafs media is all lathered up right now. Oh goood. Just means higher expectations that will be crushed come the playoffs. 

Animated GIF

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, J-Dizzle said:

I think he would have been the number 3/4 guy personally. Pretty speculative either way. 

Dubas is kind of like Gillis. He had a previous GM collect the key core pieces and then he came in and built a champion club around that existing core.  I don’t see another team as good right now. Looks like it would be huge upset if the Leafs didn’t win the Cup. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sell.the.team said:

This is a poor retort IMO.

Clendenning looked great at the time? Never heard that before. That was a classic cut corner retool move made under the Aquaman mandate of improving in a hurry instead of being patient. That mandate seems to be the same today....

I would reckon a lot of those 19 dmen picks were late rounders (5-7 round).

Tryamkin wanted to come and play but needed assurances he would get some playing time in the NHL. 

We were so hellbent on 'doing things the right way' and 'no special treatment for anybody's...winning culture yadayadayada...that we were unwilling to do this for him.

He called our bluff.  Tryamkin looked great his one year here but WD was unwilling to give him any meaningful playing time despite us being awful and in tank mode.

OJ had injuries? More like a Fortnite addiction....

I'm fine with a few whiffs along the way, no GM has a perfect drafting record and there are so many moving parts when it comes to young men panning out.... But we were so bad for so long and management should have been acquiring way more 1st to 3rd round picks and drafting way more defenseman.

Clendenning high 2nd round pick putting up solid numbers in the AHL in exchange for a guy who had a “good WJ”,  struggled and didnt impress much in the SEHL and was a 5th round pick? Clendenning put up 46 and 59 points in back to back seasons and then his 2014-15 season was all over the map. NHL and AHL games for both VAN and CHI.

Hmm I wonder who had the better odds of making the NHL? 

OJ had a fortnite addiction? Now thats a poor retort.
Olli Juoevi also had an outstanding WJC, which shortly after being drafted he had multiple back and knee injuries that led to multiple surgeries. He was also one of the hardest hit by COVID and lost a ton of weight. 

Tryamkin used us as a pawn and leveraged himself a nice contract in the KHL. Which I believe he has done twice? He was also getting 17mins TOI. So no he wasnt being screwed on ice time. Next step up was taking Edler and Tanevs ice time.

In almost all of Bennings trades, the player he acquired was always a higher drafted player. He took a safer bet that the higher draftee had the likelier odds of being the player to turn it around or being the player who is more likely to break out.

6 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

From this new management group that was a great start! Benning let a lot of guys go to free agency without getting anything back.

Did Benning have a choice though? Our owner was constantly pushing to try and win now. Benning wanted to keep his job so he did what the owner wanted. And that was to trade future in hopes to build a winner faster. And it seemed like the club was almost always competing (down the stretch) for a playoff spot. IMHAO our owner wouldn’t allow trades of coming UFAs at the TDL. Excepting the Burr and Hansen trades, I can’t remember any? 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Dubas is kind of like Gillis. He had a previous GM collect the key core pieces and then he came in and built a champion club around that existing core.  I don’t see another team as good right now. Looks like it would be huge upset if the Leafs didn’t win the Cup. 

First they have to get by the Habs tonight.

1-0 for Mtl. ROR -1. :lol:

It’s early days mind you, but I am confident the the Leafs will find a way to muck things up.