The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[3-Way Trade] Maple Leafs acquire Ryan O'Reilly, Noel Acciari, Josh Pillar; Blues acquire Adam Gaudette, Mikhail Abramov, 2023 1st-round pick, 2023 3rd-round pick, 2024 2nd-round pick; Wild acquire 2025 4th-round pick

Just now, rekker said:

Will be interesting to see how those numbers pan out moving forward in the playoffs against the much faster Eastern teams.

One thing that wont change is FOW% hes a beast and one of the best. It will indeed allow for more offensive duties for Tavares. Its going to be ROR taking on special tasks like PK, important dzone draws and helping close out close games. Hes a guy you want on pretty much any time minus Boston, taking any important draw. Every team in the league would want ROR on their roster taking that one single all important draw. 

Not all players gel, not all players work in every system, but if hes at least getting the guys who know the systems the puck, he’s done his job. He isnt brought in for offence, hes brought in for all the other things he provides

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, rekker said:

Will be interesting to see how those numbers pan out moving forward in the playoffs against the much faster Eastern teams.

They still have to beat possibly 3 vezina goalies along the way to the finals. Plus a few Norris dmen, a Selke winner. Its going to be tough for TOR. But this move was certainly a step in the right direction to achieving a first round win and more possibly

• Cheers 1

Just now, AnthonyG said:

One thing that wont change is FOW% hes a beast and one of the best. It will indeed allow for more offensive duties for Tavares. Its going to be ROR taking on special tasks like PK, important dzone draws and helping close out close games. Hes a guy you want on pretty much any time minus Boston, taking any important draw. Every team in the league would want ROR on their roster taking that one single all important draw. 

Not all players gel, not all players work in every system, but if hes at least getting the guys who know the systems the puck, he’s done his job. He isnt brought in for offence, hes brought in for all the other things he provides

Agreed, his faceoff prowess will be an added asset to the Leafs. But when he doesn't win the draw is where it will get interesting. Some very, very fast and skilled teams in the East this season that may expose his slower than ever foot speed. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Canucks Curse said:

I don't get why MIN does this, aren't they trying to win now and why would getting a mid pick help them I thought they were hurting for cap 

They like their draft team and get them another bullet for cap space they can afford to take on. Kind of sad the Canucks weren’t in on this. They must be too focused on moving out our own players with cap retention and don’t want to burn one of our retention deals. However if we don’t or aren’t looking to retain and move our own guys we should be doing what MIN did here!

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, rekker said:

Not sure if this is what the Leafs need. Still don't care for their D. 

O'Reilly plays a solid 200 ft game. He makes their C depth very strong now. I like the addition for the them. But it won't matter because their goaltending is not solid. Like the Oilers, until they address that glaring need, they won't make it to the promised land. 

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

They still have to beat possibly 3 vezina goalies along the way to the finals. Plus a few Norris dmen, a Selke winner. Its going to be tough for TOR. But this move was certainly a step in the right direction to achieving a first round win and more possibly

Certainly will be entertaining to watch this unfold.

2 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

O'Reilly plays a solid 200 ft game. He makes their C depth very strong now. I like the addition for the them. But it won't matter because their goaltending is not solid. Like the Oilers, until they address that glaring need, they won't make it to the promised land. 

Their goaltending tending is a definite gamble going into the post season. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bell said:

Dubas is working on trading all his picks so he doesn't need to attend the draft.

Dubas might not even be coach by the time the Draft comes around. My guess is he's throwing all his chips in bringing in ROR, to get past the 1st round.

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

Their goaltending tending is a definite gamble going into the post season. 

Yup. Murray cannot stay healthy and Samsonov is a bit of a wild card. Could he pull an Anti Niemi circa 2010? Probably not. Too much pressure playing in TO. Can't wait for another 1st rnd exit for the Leafs :)

• Cheers 3

12 hours ago, HKSR said:

That defence and goaltending is still pretty terrible.  

12 hours ago, DeNiro said:

It’s why this deal won’t matter.

They’re even with Tampa up from now but the Lightning have far superior D and goaltending.

Toronto is top 6 in Goals Against. With a game in hand, they could really be 2knd or 3rd?  10 goals against less than Tampa.

I know the impression, plus Vasilevski.  My point is they are much improved defensively.

• Cheers 1

As much as I hate the Leafs, this is a solid piece of work for Dubas.

They are at the stage where its all in for them, their window won't continue to stay open forever. They need to capitalize while Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly are in their prime years.

Adding ROR and Acciari really gives them veteran depth in key positions. They will certainly add another piece, maybe a veteran goalie to the mix to solidify that group.

5 hours ago, canuckpuckluck1 said:

@mll i was a bit perplexed by the deal at first glance. It seemed like Minny got hosed on the deal. But if that is the transaction then it makes good sense. 

Burn some cap that you have for 75K for a free pick, well played I say

Some more detail on why they made the deal  here.  Domi was 265K in salary and 1.325M cap hit for a 6th round pick for Florida as 3rd party broker.  

Edited by mll

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

Dubas was smart. He could have gone for Horvat but he knew he needed a guy who can play defensively to win. So he lets Lou Lsn way overpay for Horvat and then gets the much better player (and proven winner) in ROR for a lot less. 

O'Reilly is 32 now and is not having a good year.  He has 19 points and is -24 so no Selke this year.  We'll see how deep he can dig come playoff time.

• Like 1

Blues management been doing some good things! Fair deals on both Taresenko and ROR but putting the team together that won the Stanley Cup and finding positive deals with both guys having declining years. Just not used to seeing this as a Canuck fan. Cycling out your good expiring vets for picks and prospects is unheard of here. Almost seems like we had been holding onto our vets 2-3 years too long or just let them walk for nothing.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1