The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Potential Schenn trades

These potential trades are based on an assumed willingness to move both Schenn and this season's 2nd for a 1st round pick. I don't like trading high picks but I'm receptive to trying to upgrade our high picks. Schenn likely doesn't return a 1st on his own imo, but him and our 2nd? I could see it.

I'd easily value a 1st from the range of 20-32 over Schenn and our 2nd. I do think it'd be worth moving Schenn even if it wound up being a jump of 7-8 spots up. 

Proposal 1

To Boston

Luke Schenn

2023 2nd

To Vancouver 

Boston's 2023 1st

To Calgary 

Luke Schenn 

2023 2nd

To Vancouver 

2023 1st 

To Tampa

Luke Schenn 

2023 2nd

To Vancouver 

2025 1st 

To Winnipeg

2023 2nd

Luke Schenn

To Vancouver

2023 1st

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Do any of the deals except the boston one imo

Their pick will guaranteed be awful but the others could be decent

I'd do the Boston trade specifically because they don't have a 2nd this season or next, those went out in the Lindholm trade

I'd be thrilled if we could grab a D later in the 1st round, way I see it is a 1st is a 1st and I think we're more likely to finish 5-8 so it'd be a reasonable jump up from our 2nd round pick 

I like the Tampa trade because I could see them falling off a little

I do think Calgary and Winnipeg would end up being closer to 20 than 32, they'd be preferable trade partners 

Edited by Coconuts

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Boston trade we move up only a handful of spots. 

I'd do the Calgary one only because I think Shenn would too. A pick in the 20ish would be worth it. 

Maybe he'd do Tampa too. if Schenn was open to that I'd want Tampa to add if they advance. 

Maybe, they've had a helluva year but I don't see them as a lock for the final. A later 1st doesn't bother me if we could get a great D prospect in that range. 

Tampa, Carolina, New Jersey, Toronto, New York, and probably Pittsburgh will all be looking to go deep. I expect Pittsburgh, Carolina, New Jersey, and Tampa to add whereas Toronto and New York already have. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see Boston go out in the 2nd or 3rd round. 

Calgary trade would be ideal as I reckon they don't get as far as Winnipeg. Tampa trade is interesting because their stars are all just a littttle bit older. 

Issue is a second and a late first don't make a lot of difference.   Much better off with two lottery tickets then one marginally if at all better.    Id also take two seconds before before a mid-late first anyday.   Toews two seconds, was a much better deal then one first.    In before "best draft all-time"  or in 3 decades.   The top of the draft is cream.   Having extra picks might help is IF there is a guy we really like and are willing to pay for.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I like these ideas, but I wonder if we overvalue what he will get.

Friedman was stating that he expected a 3rd or high 4th as a return and the Canucks will resign if they can't get that.  That seems really low to me, I would resign him if we can't get a second, but I do wonder if our expectations are inflated. 

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Great idea! We basically jump up 15-20 spots in the draft. 

Could be depending on the trade partner. 

2 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

taking into account, schenn family situation, i'ld only trade him to calgary.  wife can't fly now and i'm sure luke would want to be with her at this time. luke's been a good soldier so we should be good generals.

I understand your take and I respect it, but it's not mine. 

I reckon any team who trades for him would allow Schenn personal leave for the pregnancy. There's just no way the Canucks haven't made inquiring teams aware of Schenn's family scenario. Moreso if it's a team who's more entrenched in a playoff position like Boston or Tampa. 

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Issue is a second and a late first don't make a lot of difference.   Much better off with two lottery tickets then one marginally if at all better.    Id also take two seconds before before a mid-late first anyday.   Toews two seconds, was a much better deal then one first.    In before "best draft all-time"  or in 3 decades.   The top of the draft is cream.   Having extra picks might help is IF there is a guy we really like and are willing to pay for.  

Depends on who the Canucks think will be available in x range and which prospects they really like. 

I understand your take, I just personally value an additional 1st more. There's no guarantee any of these teams goes deep. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, dm_ranger said:

I like these ideas, but I wonder if we overvalue what he will get.

Friedman was stating that he expected a 3rd or high 4th as a return and the Canucks will resign if they can't get that.  That seems really low to me, I would resign him if we can't get a second, but I do wonder if our expectations are inflated. 

I was hearing a 3rd and an additional piece, so I reckon probably not too far off from a 2nd in value? A 2nd is about where I've got Schenn's value pegged, I'd be surprised if he got more on his own. 

• Like 2

11 days until the TDL.  As we get closer, Schenn's price likely goes up.  We may very well see a 2nd (52 - 64 OA) coming back on Schenn on his own.  I take that ahead of giving up a very high 2nd (39) in order to pick 20 -32 OA.  Your plan gives us 1 less pick in the first 3 rounds and we're swapping the 39th pick for 20-32, which is moving up only 7-19 spots

The alternatives are:

1.  Stand pat.  Keep Schenn.  Pick 7, 15, 39, 71..... 
  2. Trade Schenn for a 2nd.  Pick 7, 15, 39, 52-64, 71..... 
  3. Trade Schenn and a 2nd for a late 1st.  Pick 7, 15, 20-32, 71.....
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

11 days until the TDL.  As we get closer, Schenn's price likely goes up.  We may very well see a 2nd (52 - 64 OA) coming back on Schenn on his own.  I take that ahead of giving up a very high 2nd (39) in order to pick 20 -32 OA.  Your plan gives us 1 less pick in the first 3 rounds and we're swapping the 39th pick for 20-32, which is moving up only 7-19 spots

The alternatives are:

1.  Stand pat.  Keep Schenn.  Pick 7, 15, 39, 71..... 
  2. Trade Schenn for a 2nd.  Pick 7, 15, 39, 52-64, 71..... 
  3. Trade Schenn and a 2nd for a late 1st.  Pick 7, 15, 20-32, 71.....

Ehh, I'd value the 1st more personally but yes I see the appeal of multiple 2nd round picks

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Boston's 1st and our 2nd could only be a difference of 5-6 spots.  I'd rather just keep Schenn.

Or we could do our 3rd and Schenn for Boston's 1st and Ryan Mast...

I'd take the pick, but it's fine to disagree

I doubt Boston goes for that trade with a 3rd involved, I don't see Schenn being worth that but who knows

4 minutes ago, Pears said:

No disrespect to Schenn at all, but I think each of those teams would rather use their firsts for a more impactful player. If we can’t get a second at minimum I’d say just re-sign him for a couple more years. 

Yeah, this could absolutely be the case 

26 minutes ago, Pears said:

No disrespect to Schenn at all, but I think each of those teams would rather use their firsts for a more impactful player. If we can’t get a second at minimum I’d say just re-sign him for a couple more years

Which he'd most likely do regardless where he gets moved to. Hopefully management has the same feelings.

28 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Depends on who the Canucks think will be available in x range and which prospects they really like. 

I understand your take, I just personally value an additional 1st more. There's no guarantee any of these teams goes deep. 

For additional data - 1990-2010 a late first (think Brocks area) all the way until at or near the second round worked out virtually identical - both decades, with ballooning staffs as well.    The number of hits, average games played and quality of high end talent.    A first sounds sexy, this is one set of statistics that I for one found interesting.   Maybe that's changed a little - we are close to being able to add another five years of data into the mix anyways.    Every year guys disappoint and surprise in this range.    Rather have two lottery tickets then just one.   In this case.    Now using one of those to move up to get someone with either our first this year or NYI needs to be considered as well.    Figure a Second for Schenn is a pretty good deal on its own for a rental.   Appreciate seeing thinking outside the box.    Two seconds gives us modest odds of finding one 100 game NHLer with 2twice the odds that one of them is just as good as something in the 23-32 range. 

• Cheers 2