The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Riley Stillman to Sabres for Josh Bloom

9 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Anyone actually surprised drance decides to go off and say how Stillman is probably going to pan out for Buffalo and trying to say he's got alot of good trait but it's simply the Canucks who suck and drag him down.

This guy :lol:

Did he actually say that?  What a parasite and pathetic human being he is. 

• There it is 1

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yup halbro show. That was the only real suspect thing he said today but this is exactly the issue people have with him. ( he did acknowledge this was a good move for us and how we quickly fixed a bad move though ) 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Bottom of the barrel slug for sure. This guy lives on the misery of others. Human scumbag and not even a hockey guy. Just some goofball with a journalism degree.

• There it is 2

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Anyone actually surprised drance decides to go off and say how Stillman is probably going to pan out for Buffalo and trying to say he's got alot of good trait but it's simply the Canucks who suck and drag him down.

Thank you for offering a specific example of Drance on the H&B show this morning. Drance said the following (in a highly relaxed tone and without any kind of animosity): "Don't be surprised if Stillman ends up being pretty useful for Buffalo... for the following main reasons... in Vancouver he was paired with Tyler Myers. I almost think Stillman was put in the worst possible spot for the type of player he is... he's a physical guy, but he's not really a dynamic puck mover or a defensive shut-down guy either, and that's kinda TM's profile as well... you put them together and they don't really have the ability to move the puck well... Stillman can potentially eat minutes lower down the lineup, if he's got the right type of defence partner in a defensively aware partner (names Buffalo dmen who could suit this role with RS). I wouldn't be shocked if he becomes a pretty useful piece - and this won't take away anything from this being a good trade for where the Canucks are - I just think that team is way better suited to use him whereas all of his flaws were exacerbated on a Vancouver defence that also has his flaws. I just think it was a bad fit overall."

Wow. He really went off this morning on the trade :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

55 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Yup halbro show. That was the only real suspect thing he said today but this is exactly the issue people have with him. ( he did acknowledge this was a good move for us and how we quickly fixed a bad move though ) 

He's been overwhelmingly positive about the last few moves, relative to his normal demeanor 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

Thank you for offering a specific example of Drance on the H&B show this morning. Drance said the following (in a highly relaxed tone and without any kind of animosity): "Don't be surprised if Stillman ends up being pretty useful for Buffalo... for the following main reasons... in Vancouver he was paired with Tyler Myers. I almost think Stillman was put in the worst possible spot for the type of player he is... he's a physical guy, but he's not really a dynamic puck mover or a defensive shut-down guy either, and that's kinda TM's profile as well... you put them together and they don't really have the ability to move the puck well... Stillman can potentially eat minutes lower down the lineup, if he's got the right type of defence partner in a defensively aware partner (names Buffalo dmen who could suit this role with RS). I wouldn't be shocked if he becomes a pretty useful piece - and this won't take away anything from this being a good trade for where the Canucks are - I just think that team is way better suited to use him whereas all of his flaws were exacerbated on a Vancouver defence that also has his flaws. I just think it was a bad fit overall."

Wow. He really went off this morning on the trade :rolleyes:

It's almost like people don't listen to a word he says and just react to who is speaking 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, awalk said:

It's almost like people don't listen to a word he says and just react to who is speaking 

Honestly, the only thing more annoying than Drance's cackle is the crying from fans every time he opens his mouth with any kind of Canucks-related analysis. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I haven’t listened to the segment, but I’d expect Drance was just paraphrasing his column from the Athletic, where he had this to say:

“Stillman, 24, struggled for much of his Canucks tenure but was also utilized in a role that he wasn’t ideally suited to while playing with a partner — most often Tyler Myers — who is similarly calibrated as a physical defender with some limitations in terms of defensive awareness.

The results weren’t pretty. With both Stillman and Myers on the ice together, the Canucks surrendered 30 more scoring chances than they generated while playing to a -5 goal differential at five-on-five in just over 200 minutes.

On a Sabres team flush with higher IQ puck-moving defenders that can skate, Stillman may yet prove useful. Given the way that Stillman’s flaws were magnified on a stodgy Vancouver blue line, it didn’t seem likely that it was going to work out for his development in Vancouver.”

Seems pretty fair, TBH. 

Stillman has good skating, physicality, lays the occasional open ice hit, and is willing to drop the gloves. He also has limited defensive awareness/IQ and had some pretty disastrous on-ice results in Vancouver (albeit somewhat better play of late).

In Vancouver, I think Drance has a point that Stillman was rarely put in a position to succeed, and more often than not, he was paired with defenders like Myers, who just brought out the worst in him.

So maybe a change of scenery, and the opportunity to play with “higher IQ puckmoving defenders who can skate,” will lead to better results for Stillman. I could see that happening.

As far as “panning out,” though, it’s not like we’re talking legit top-4 upside. More like a bottom-pair or depth/spare role where Stillman isn’t hurting his team or posting negative value analytics. That seems reasonable.

But clearly he wasn’t doing that here. And, even with him arguably having some better results recently, he was still providing very little on-ice value for Vancouver (other than as a “tank commander”). Even if he becomes a marginally decent player for Buffalo, I highly doubt he’d have become a positive impact player if he’d stayed with the Canucks.

So moving his contract, without taking back any salary, and getting a decent prospect as a return, is a very good trade and a clear win for the Canucks (as Drance has said).

But it’s possible this ends up a decent enough trade for Buffalo as well. They have a really deep system and prospects to spare. If they get a useful NHL bottom-pair/depth defender, from flipping a prospect who was ranked around 11th-15th in their pool, that’s probably a “win” for them too.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

52 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Honestly, the only thing more annoying than Drance's cackle is the crying from fans every time he opens his mouth with any kind of Canucks-related analysis. 

Oh god the cackle, I can't get it out of my head.  

For me the most annoying thing is Jamie Dodd. He agrees on every single damn thing with Drance and when he doesn't, he quickly corrects himself midway through his sentence.  

They should give Drance a generic NHL show and keep him away from the Canucks. He's clearly always cheering against the Canucks in order to be proven right. 

21 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Patrik Allviin:

"We would first like to thank Riley Stillman for his time here in Vancouver and we wish him the best in Buffalo. We are excited to add another young prospect in Josh Bloom and we look forward to working with him and helping his development in the years to come."

This whole knee-jerk "Still-Man escapade" by our inexperience GM - PA, has essentially resulted in us paying a 2nd round pick & Dick&Son for this Bloom Kid.    Sure hope he's worth it and PA learned a thing or two along the way !

On the plus side, we got rid of one of our most pathetic defensemen out of the five bad ones we have.   1 down - 4 to go!

Edited by RU SERIOUS

13 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

This whole knee-jerk "Still-Man escapade" by our inexperience GM - PA, has essentially resulted in us paying a 2nd round pick & Dick&Son for this Bloom Kid.    Sure hope he's worth it and PA learned a thing or two along the way !

On the plus side, we got rid of one of our most pathetic defensemen out of the five bad ones we have.   1 down - 4 to go!

Bloom was drafted in the 3rd round, so a 2nd and Dickie for cap space and a 3rd, who is showing decently, is a solid return to dump cap.

Edit: just heard Bloom also frees up a contract spot as well.

Edited by Jester13
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Bloom was drafted in the 3rd round, so a 2nd and Dickie for cap space and a 3rd, who is showing decently, is a solid return to dump cap.

Edit: just heard Bloom also frees up a contract spot as well.

Jut to clarify.....Dickie + 2nd   for   Bloom (3rd)  + Dickie/Still cap savings for next season $4.0m

Nice inclusion of the very important freed up roster spot.

• Cheers 3

25 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Jut to clarify.....Dickie + 2nd   for   Bloom (3rd)  + Dickie/Still cap savings for next season $4.0m

Nice inclusion of the very important freed up roster spot.

You can't combine Dickinson and Stillman's cap savings. Lol. Cause it was a one or the other, we never had both simultaneously. In essence we moved Dickinson's 2.5mil cap and got Bloom for a 2nd rounder. All things considered, not bad. But yes, that contract slot may be a huge boon depending on what trades we make and college FA's we get. A contract slot means nothing if we don't use them.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

You can't combine Dickinson and Stillman's cap savings. Lol. Cause it was a one or the other, we never had both simultaneously. In essence we moved Dickinson's 2.5mil cap and got Bloom for a 2nd rounder. All things considered, not bad. But yes, that contract slot may be a huge boon depending on what trades we make and college FA's we get. A contract slot means nothing if we don't use them.

My bad...I was thinking that the Canucks had retained on Dixie.

Dix 2.65x2  + 2nd  for  Bloom +Stillman 1.35x2   Cap savings to Nucks in 1st season is 1.30.

Stillman traded, so  Cap $1.35m savings for next season (as he has a 2nd year on his contract).

Kind of looks like the Canucks came out pretty good if you consider they could have had

Dix for the original 2yrs.

Chicago edges out Van because they like what Dixie brings to the team.  In time, we will see if the Hawks

(2024) 2nd round pick, ends up to be the better player over Bloom.  Thankfully it wasn't for this year!

turns out to be the better player than Bloom.

• Like 1