The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Riley Stillman to Sabres for Josh Bloom

Just now, MaxVerstappen33 said:

I agree. But why did Buffalo do this ?

To be fair , we were beginning to tolerate Stillman. He was playing ok. So what's the deal here. Why this trade 

Buffalo has a much deeper prospect pool and clearly wants cheap depth D.

Does seem like an overpayment but who cares?

1 minute ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

To be fair , we were beginning to tolerate Stillman. He was playing ok. So what's the deal here. Why this trade 

Buffalo wanted a bit of depth is all it was. They didn't want to trade with anyone in the east.

Most teams in the west are adding, not subtracting. We are one of the 3 or 4 teams actually looking to unload. Stillman can be depth for playoffs easy enough.

• Cheers 1
  • elephant 1

1 hour ago, Roberts said:

You can't make this stuff up, this is the alternate jersey for Josh Bloom's team

Battalion unveils first-ever third uniforms – Ontario Hockey ...

If we get Bedard, I will get a custom North Batallion jersey with a number 23 Stillman.  

That's actually a sweet looking jersey!

From the Hockey News April 2022:

"As a player, Bloom is a tremendous skater, and always has been. Scouts love his decision-making with the puck and he possesses a solid release on his wrist shot that, as he continues to grow as a shooter willing to take chances with the puck, only gets better with time. As his game is developed, he's more willing to take risks to make the best play possible, something that wasn't evident in his more guarded play early on his career. 

Bloom told Sabres media after getting drafted that he wanted to show everyone how he grew as a player despite missing an entire season: he proved that with and without the puck. The Sabres didn't need to sign Bloom this early, so they clearly think he must have a shot at making the NHL next year, as small as it may be. 

This is a win for the franchise, and, more importantly, a win for the Oakville, Ont. native. Bloom's hard work paid off into a successful season, personally, for the winger, and he's only going to get better from here."

• Thanks 1
  • There it is 1

5 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Buffalo wanted a bit of depth is all it was. They didn't want to trade with anyone in the east.

Most teams in the west are adding, not subtracting. We are one of the 3 or 4 teams actually looking to unload. Stillman can be depth for playoffs easy enough.

Understood. It shows that this fanbase misjudged the value of Stillman. Would you agree ? I got on the stillman ridicule train. Maybe I was sold a bill of goods 

• There it is 1

20 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

All right, the Canucks game will have my full, undivided attention in about 2 weeks.  

We're gonna get spanked, but we have lots of interesting battles for next year. 

Aman vs Studnicka vs Raty for the future center positions.  We have three decent young guys and they will have a meritocracy based battle as nobody's signed long term. 

I've always been a big Noah Juulsen fan, so I'm kinda excited to see him back with the big club again.  

I'd like to also shout out a few people that I argued with that Canucks were/weren't good enough for a playoff spot a year or two ago...  @combover @wallstreetamigo , etc...  You were right and I was wrong on that one, thanks for not being too obnoxious about it ;)  I am excited for how good of a tank team we have morphed into through injuries and trades, we might be looking at a top 6 pick here! 

I wasn’t too obnoxious about it? Hmmm must have been having a good day haha.

No worries man. You are a worthy adversary to argue points with and I always enjoy it. 

2 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Understood. It shows that this fanbase misjudged the value of Stillman. Would you agree ? I got on the stillman ridicule train. Maybe I was sold a bill of goods 

No it doesn't. Stillman is god awful by every metric there is. 

I liked Stillman but Canucks don't need a 6/7 D man, Canucks need prospects right now. Pleased to see management recognizing where we are at. 

Doubt they go so far as to trade Miller though, I'm sure the owner is still being sold a 2-3 year turnaround time. 

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Because they think they can make the playoffs and would like to boost their defense depth. And I guess not much defense on the market, so they took Stillman. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Because they think they can make the playoffs and would like to boost their defense depth. And I guess not much defense on the market, so they took Stillman. 

Definitely speaks to the difficulty in acquiring Dmen right now and should give an indication of how difficult its going to be to fix the Canucks D corps.

• There it is 1