The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Riley Stillman to Sabres for Josh Bloom

9 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

As a fan of Buffalo, this is a fascinating thread to read.  Looks like there’s a good chance that they’ll be playing Boston in the first round. (Assuming that they make it)  Stillman is just adding a guy who will respond when cheap shots start flying.  

Josh Bloom?  Honestly I forgot about him because Buffalo drafted like 7 (more?) wingers that year.  I think at least 3 or 4 were drafted ahead of him.  No biggie to give up on one in order to support their new young core for it’s first playoff push.  

For us (Canucks) why not??  Get a prospect and clear out cap space by giving up a guy who was doing nothing for us? Yes please!

Yeah it's funny to rag on Tank Commander Stillman but he's exactly what you described.  If a series gets dirty/physical, he'll be the perfect guy to throw in.  He threw some big hipchecks and open ice hits this year. 

1 hour ago, eeeeergh said:

An excellent suggestion, one I might make, in time.

So with your signature…are you going to temporarily jump on the Sabres bandwagon? I know it needs help, I have one friend who for the last 45 years has faithfully cheered for the Sabres!! But he is the only one I have known.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

As a fan of Buffalo, this is a fascinating thread to read.  Looks like there’s a good chance that they’ll be playing Boston in the first round. (Assuming that they make it)  Stillman is just adding a guy who will respond when cheap shots start flying.  

Josh Bloom?  Honestly I forgot about him because Buffalo drafted like 7 (more?) wingers that year.  I think at least 3 or 4 were drafted ahead of him.  No biggie to give up on one in order to support their new young core for it’s first playoff push.  

For us (Canucks) why not??  Get a prospect and clear out cap space by giving up a guy who was doing nothing for us? Yes please!

What? Another Sabres fan… I thought I knew the lone fan in BC!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Not only did we trade the tank commander, IT WAS FOR ANOTHER DAMN WINGER. Lol. Whatever, surprised we got anything for him. Let alone a 19 year that has decent upside. Good trade. For as much crap as he got. Doubt we'll start winning more with Wolanin Breezer being regulars. The tank can keep on rolling

Who is Josh Bloom? What's his potential? 

I just came online after being busy all day after seeing this.  Not knowing who Bloom was, I just thought he was some career AHLer we got back to even out the contracts.  I was still ecstatic about the deal just by the cap space we freed up.

Then I read the scouting reports and saw he is just a kid.  He has all the attributes that JR said was his vision for a team identity.  Faster, Younger, Bigger.

Even if he doesn’t turn into an NHLer, this was a move that makes sense and gives a direction.

If we can actually get an OK return for cap dump Stillman… Bear better be on his way out the door for a good package back of a 2nd or 3rd and above average prospect.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, JayDangles said:

You're dreaming with that trade offer. 

Actual realistic trade proposal that they might consider is,

Podz, Rathbone, our 2023 2nd and NYI's 1st.

Even that might not get it done 

Then you don’t do the trade, and Yotes lose more value as team control declines. At the end of the day the 2 prospect plus 2 high picks is too much and the market agrees; he hasn’t been moved in 2 years. With Rathbone & Hogs you at least get 2 “B” level prospects and a mid 1st pick in a good draft. Not say it isn’t a good deal for Nux, just saying Yotes need to figure out he isn’t worth the ask and his value is declining every year.

1 hour ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Understood. It shows that this fanbase misjudged the value of Stillman. Would you agree ? I got on the stillman ridicule train. Maybe I was sold a bill of goods 

No, Stillman. Was absolute trash early in the season. But then again so was everyone else on D not named Hughes. But it doesn't mean he is only capable of playing like trash. His game was becoming more consistent lately. 

I think Buffalo just saw a cheap option for depth. They valued his price tag more than probably some of the other players available.

I'm personally surprised they gave up Bloom for him, but Bloom really hasn't proven anything, so it could amount to buffalo actually giving up nothing for Stillman. Which is a good deal for them considering what we paid to get him.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

All right, the Canucks game will have my full, undivided attention in about 2 weeks.  

We're gonna get spanked, but we have lots of interesting battles for next year. 

Aman vs Studnicka vs Raty for the future center positions.  We have three decent young guys and they will have a meritocracy based battle as nobody's signed long term. 

I've always been a big Noah Juulsen fan, so I'm kinda excited to see him back with the big club again.  

I'd like to also shout out a few people that I argued with that Canucks were/weren't good enough for a playoff spot a year or two ago...  @combover @wallstreetamigo , etc...  You were right and I was wrong on that one, thanks for not being too obnoxious about it ;)  I am excited for how good of a tank team we have morphed into through injuries and trades, we might be looking at a top 6 pick here! 

I’m never right so I knew the law of averages was in my side. 
lolol.

I like that we seem to be building some depth and size somethings we’ve lacked for a long time. We keep adding young guys and start trying to actually develop our players and we should be fine . but I still think we are three + years away from when we might be able to actually compete and that’s if they don’t start looking for short cuts again that really just turn into set backs. 

Just now, JayDangles said:

No, Stillman. Was absolute trash early in the season. But then again so was everyone else on D not named Hughes. But it doesn't mean he is only capable of playing like trash. His game was becoming more consistent lately. 

I think Buffalo just saw a cheap option for depth. They valued his price tag more than probably some of the other players available.

I'm personally surprised they gave up Bloom for him, but Bloom really hasn't proven anything, so it could amount to buffalo actually giving up nothing for Stillman. Which is a good deal for them considering what we paid to get him.

Exactly; Stillman was an okay player….but we have a bunch more okay LD options too. He was simply a redundant 6/7th guy here on an okay contract (200k cap if sent down). And Bloom was a 3rd round prospect that was playing like a 3rd round prospect. This is an equal value trade in my opinion