The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Dallas Stars | Feb. 27, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Good points.  I agree 100%.  At the end of the day, the team has done several things to not be that good.  They held out Demko for almost 3 months, they traded BO (I guess that backfired on them because Beau is doing just as well), they shut down Mikheyev.  They played their AHL goalie for 3 games.  They have several of their AHL players in the lineup today.  Miller is out now so he didn't even play tonight.

So, not sure what the tankers want.  Do they want Tocchet to not play Hughes and Petey?  Sit them on the bench?  At the end of the day, the players want to play, and they want to win.  So do the coaches.  Unfortunately, if you actually want the Canucks to lose then you do have to be happy if Petey misses the net, or if Beau is offside you are happy.  This is because the other team needs to win.  How can you be happy for Kuzy to score that winning goal if you want the team to lose?

You seem to suggest that Canuck management deliberately sat out Demko and traded Bo in a deliberate effort to tank the season. Was Mik not really injured? Your twisting facts to a degree. Are suggesting that Allvin should not have made trades at the TDL to improve the team? Should he not do trades until the end of the season so that the team can play 500 hockey? 

I don’t see much value in this. I’m done.

• Cheers 1

Just now, mordekai said:

Seems like you don’t get it

Stars can’t beat a team with one legit line and one legit nhl defender in Quinn. Nothing else we can do to lose other than taking Quinn Petey Kuzy out

I don’t blame Dallas for losing, nor do I fault the Nucks for winning.

The fact that the Nucks are more points up than their tank competitors means that they get the worst potential pick and the worst potential ability to trade up, should they desire to do so. 

You get that right? 

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

I don’t blame Dallas for losing, nor do I fault the Nucks for winning.

The fact that the Nucks are more points up than their tank competitors means that they get the worst potential pick and the worst potential ability to trade up, should they desire to do so. 

You get that right? 

Yes captain obvious

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

What’s all of that worth at the Draft? 

When did ‘pulling up your socks’ at the end of the season equal a franchise player? 

Our draft luck sucks remember?  Last time we were 2nd worse in the league we dropped down to 5th.  So what's the point of stressing over what we can't control?  You think the players purposely tank? If we didn't have a lottery system, sure.  We finish in the bottom three we get a top three pick.  That's not the case now is it? 

Criticizing the team for not being bad enough?  For not trying hard enough to lose?  How stupid is that?

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Yep, and Hughes is getting banged up and exhausted for meaningless points.

That’s why I really don’t get what they’re trying to prove at this point.

Like we know Hughes can control a game from the back end, we know Petey can take over a game, and we know Demko can steal us games.

Shouldn’t we be trying to look at what else we have? It’s all about next season right now. Worst thing we can do is ride our horses too hard and have them sustain an injury that carries over to next season.

I think Tocchett is really trying to prove himself with some wins. But that kind of winning is not sustainable. Play those guys that much over the course of a season and they’re gonna be burnt out. We need to start feeding some other guys minutes and see what we really have.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, coho8888 said:

Our draft luck sucks remember?  Last time we were 2nd worse in the league we dropped down to 5th.  So what's the point of stressing over what we can't control?  You think the players purposely tank? If we didn't have a lottery system, sure.  We finish in the bottom three we get a top three pick.  That's not the case now is it? 

Criticizing the team for not being bad enough?  For not trying hard enough to lose?  How stupid is that?

So it’s better to win as many games as possible now to get the worst draft lottery potential possible? 

Is that what you want as a ‘supporter’ of this team and it’s future? 

You think the team is just gonna magically get players somehow and somewhere outside of the Draft to rebuild? 

Benning, is that you? 

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's a pretty funny statement actually.  I had to laugh out loud.  Showing loyalty to the team by wanting them to lose.  :lol:

So, you want the team and players to thrive and succeed, but at the same time as long as the other team scores one more goal, you are happy.  Got it.

Let me break the news to you.  The players are playing to win the game, and so are the coaches.  So, you are not on the same page as them.  Kuzmenko was jumping up and down when he scored, I am sure you were not.  That's the difference.

I want our team to be as successful as possible, and I have been emotionally invested in that for a lonnnng time, but I need not qualify myself to you, nor you to me. 

I’ll just say this. There’s multiple ways to design what is in best interest of this team. One of those ways requires strategic sacrifice and capitalizing on chance, fate and opportunity when it materializes. I believe that we are setting up for some great moves in the near future, and an opportunity to really assemble a hand picked cohesive roster for the first time under this mgmt group.

As JR knows it all sooooo welll, there is no better opportunity to put your stamp on a franchise than to draft or develop a phenomenal, potentially franchise altering ELC top 5 pick. Look what that did for him. 

I see it as fate has provided us fans with a real gem of a draft pick. Another player whom one day who someone like you yourself EP might want to name have their CDC username after.

i want to keep up with ANH, LA and the next gen other teams who will emerge with their young cores as the cream of our division. We need another young superstar talent. I want that future opportunity/insurance for us.

I root for the guys to play better, to want to get hungrier for next season and prove something. I would love nothing more than to see this team gel and develop a real camaraderie.

winning will do that, yeah, wholeheartedly agree.

then the logical part of me remembers that there is still going to be a lot of roster turnover.

This team is already showing evidence of an identity under Tocchet. I’m so excited for that. But it’s not because of the roster we have, it’s because of who’s coaching it and how. We are far from being resolved, so for me the logical and most progressive and loyally devout move for this franchise is to embrace the direction of the most beneficial move. 
The jersey lives on. Unfortunately, The players come and go.

yeah, this particular year I want to sacrifice part of the present for a whole lot of potentially very bright future. To me, as a diehard fan, that is the cost of business, so to speak.

it doesn’t make me any less of a fan, it just makes me different than you in how I think. That shouldn’t be a problem for you, should it? Don’t shake your head at what you don’t understand. It makes you look ignorant. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, EastCoastNucks said:

would anyone even read this conversation.

no

Not in thier right mind, not if they were at the top, or mid of the pick.

But they are reading at the bottom of the pick. Your idoitic words affect individuals, spouses, kids, teams, ect.

Use your words

Eat a banana. Drink a Pepsi.

Get your game right.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That’s why I really don’t get what they’re trying to prove at this point.

Like we know Hughes can control a game from the back end, we know Petey can take over a game, and we know Demko can steal us games.

Shouldn’t we be trying to look at what else we have? It’s all about next season right now. Worst thing we can do is ride our horses too hard and have them sustain an injury that carries over to next season.

I think Tocchett is really trying to prove himself with some wins. But that kind of winning is not sustainable. Play those guys that much over the course of a season and they’re gonna be burnt out. We need to start feeding some other guys minutes and see what we really have.

Maybe we’ll see load management employed after TDL?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, Jam126 said:

Sure, that's what I would want too, but if the coaches feel they have to earn their trust to get more ice time, that's just the way it is. 

This really is a good way of putting it.  It really seems management is doing most things in its power to tank.  But within that some things are still important.

1)  Players still need to earn their ice time.  Although I'll nitpick, 4+ means for Raty seems harsh

2)  It is best for Demko to get some playing time this year.  Obviously he has to be 100% healthy, but not playing in an NHL game until next October would not be good for him.

• Upvote 1