The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Time's up! Finish your last sentence...

AngryElf

34 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Parayko age contract and skill level aren’t a fit for us or our competitive window

hard pass from me 

You aren't paying attention.

Maybe Parayko's age shouldn't be a fit for our competitive window... but it appears that the team management doesn't agree.  They want to be competitive now.  I don't like it, but if that is the plan then we need to rebuild the defence quickly.  It is a lot easier to fill out the forwards than the defence.

We could conceivably have a roster next year of something like:

Kuzmenko-Petterson-Beauvillier
Mikhevev - XX - Podkolzin
McGinn - Raty - Kravstov
Joshua - Aman - Lazar
Karlsson-Hoglander

Hughes-Parayko
Graves/Petterson (from Pittsburgh) - Hronek
OEL - Livingstone
Dermott - Schenn

That is a team that is still going to score some goals but will also keep them out of the net a lot better.  You can try Raty or Kravtsov in the 2/3 C spots or go find someone else.  You can also just wait for one of the high end C that we are in line to draft who will be ready between next season to two years depending on who you get (Bedard, Fantelli, Carlsson, Smith).  One more offseason of work after next season and you could possibly round out that team to be a young one on the way up again and competing for a playoff spot.

It is a little shocking how we can still fill out all our wingers with decent players even removing Miller, Garland, Boeser, and Pearson.  It shows you where our depth is.

Edited by Provost

14 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Myers contract is buyout proof. Would cost us $5333000 in cap space. Meaning we lose cap space even if we replace him with a league minimum player.

After his bonus is paid we will actually get a pick for him.

Agreed...after his $5 million bonus is paid out this summer his base salary is only another $1 million.

As soon as the bonus is paid out he should become an asset for our team (Trades, picks or prospects) next season. 

$6 million cap hit but only $ 1 mllion in actual salary...teams looking for a rental, playoff depth or to stay above the cap floor could come calling IMO 

Edited by Blitz-Pix

3 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Agreed...after his $5 million bonus is paid out this summer his base salary is only another $1 million.

As soon as the bonus is paid out he should become an asset for our team (Trades, picks or prospects) next season. 

$6 million cap hit but only $ 1 mllion in actual salary...teams looking for a rental, playoff depth or to stay above the cap floor could come calling IMO 

Or Arizona to to get to the cap floor without paying for it

Just now, Blitz-Pix said:

As soon as the bonus is paid out he should become an asset for the our team (Trades, picks or prospects) next season. 

$6 million cap hit but only $ 1 mllion in actual salary...teams looking for a rental, playoff depth or to stay abouve the cap floor should come calling IMO 

Believe it when I see it. Arizona wants to spend absolute minimum but would want assets to take on cap. Arizona can’t be the dumping ground for every bad asset and there is a line of teams trying to dump bad contracts.  There aren’t really any other cap floor teams anymore. 
Myers ends the season with us next year and goes to UFA. I just don’t think contending teams are looking for his type of high action at both ends hockey, they want stability not chaos. 

17 minutes ago, Provost said:

You aren't paying attention.

Maybe Parayko's age shouldn't be a fit for our competitive window... but it appears that the team management doesn't agree.  They want to be competitive now.  I don't like it, but if that is the plan then we need to rebuild the defence quickly.  It is a lot easier to fill out the forwards than the defence.

We could conceivably have a roster next year of something like:

Kuzmenko-Petterson-Beauvillier
Mikhevev - XX - Podkolzin
McGinn - Raty - Kravstov
Joshua - Aman - Lazar
Karlsson-Hoglander

Hughes-Parayko
Graves/Petterson (from Pittsburgh) - Hronek
OEL - Livingstone
Dermott - Schenn

That is a team that is still going to score some goals but will also keep them out of the net a lot better.  You can try Raty or Kravtsov in the 2/3 C spots or go find someone else.  You can also just wait for one of the high end C that we are in line to draft who will be ready between next season to two years depending on who you get (Bedard, Fantelli, Carlsson, Smith).  One more offseason of work after next season and you could possibly round out that team to be a young one on the way up again and competing for a playoff spot.

It is a little shocking how we can still fill out all our wingers with decent players even removing Miller, Garland, Boeser, and Pearson.  It shows you where our depth is.

I am paying attention.. and Parayko isn’t good anymore.

have you watched him play?

and he’s only going to get worse.

we aren’t going to acquire players 30 next year that are showing regression and especially the back injury he had 

Hronek is 25 entering prime that isn’t the same at all In my eyes and they’ve said they are going to target 25 year olds 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, mll said:

The Canucks are cap compliant and don't need to get under this season as long as they don't exceed their authorised upper limit.  They are over because they are using LTIR.  Every player counts against the cap including those on IR or LTIR.  By going on LTIR it allows the team to exceed the salary cap up to the LTIR player's cap hit so that he can be replaced on the roster.

Teams are always cap compliant.  Every transaction is registered with the NHL's Central Registry to make sure that teams are following all rules and the cap.  

The regular season cap is calculated over the regular season (Oct-April).  Off-season accounting is different as every player is back on the roster and it can be tedious to keep track.  CapFriendly only shows regular season accounting.  

Awesome, thanks very much!

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Believe it when I see it. Arizona wants to spend absolute minimum but would want assets to take on cap. Arizona can’t be the dumping ground for every bad asset and there is a line of teams trying to dump bad contracts.  There aren’t really any other cap floor teams anymore. 
Myers ends the season with us next year and goes to UFA. I just don’t think contending teams are looking for his type of high action at both ends hockey, they want stability not chaos. 

Perhaps...however, he has the ability to eat up alot of minutes (if needed) and on a playoff contender he's probably playing with a better suited defense partner. I'm not suggesting he's on your top pairing (Ideally he's your 4th-6th D-man) I suspect, some GM is probably going to drool over his size and what's left on his contract (less than 400K near TDL) and offer us something. Hell, there were rumours of teams sniffing around leading up this TDL, albeit with salary rention or cap coming back I believe.

IMO we get something for him, how much? who knows...but something is better than nothing after the last 4 years.      

I wonder if there are any GM's out there that will give a first plus an expiring contract(s) for OEL and Garland?

Sounds reasonable right?

Edit - adding the GIF because it seems some people really don't understand that I am joking

Sarcastic Sarcasm GIF 

Edited by GB5

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

We have four big dollar contracts that need to go before we can turn the ship. OEL and Garland are summer buyouts. Myers is traded at the 2024 TDL. Boeser will be traded with retention and sugar. Got to clear the decks of these guys. 

Yup. This is the course I hope we're on. The OEL buyout scares me, but I still think it's the right move.

4 minutes ago, GB5 said:

I wonder if there are any GM's out there that will give a first plus an expiring contract(s) for OEL and Garland?

Sounds reasonable right?

Yes, his name is Jim Benning and he is no longer employed in the NHL. :bigblush:

• Haha 1
  • There it is 2

25 minutes ago, GB5 said:

Sounds reasonable right?

You can't be serious. Are you seriously asking that?

We need to give away at minimum 2 first to move them

• Haha 1