The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Time's up! Finish your last sentence...

AngryElf

14 minutes ago, myre said:

That's fair. I just don't like the league looking for more ways to have its salary cap be manipulated. Teams should be hurt and punished for the poor decisions they make. Look at Calgary. They are in a world of hurt with all these long-term contracts they have with aging players. 

I prefer there to be options on the table for teams to get out of bad situations. It keeps things interesting and it incentivizes more player movement. I'll always be on the side of allowing teams the freedom to make the deals that they want, as opposed to arbitrary restrictions that handcuff the league. 

15 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Thanks for this.

That was my understanding too, but I couldn’t find a good source to confirm.

And some people disagreed, last time I posted about this, so I wasn’t really sure what was right.

I do consider CapFriendly a good source for this kind of stuff, so that should settle it.

It definitely sucks for our current situation and options with Miller, but I think the league’s decision here is more fitting with the “spirit” of the CBA, so it makes sense to me.

Agreed that this is bloody useful information!

Just want to say that PIT and CAR are still options for a Miller trade...

CAR can afford Miller's entire $5.25m cap hit.

If McGinn clears waivers then we would need to take about $1.5m in cap hit back from PIT to make it work. If he's picked up off waivers then PIT will have cap space for Miller without any further clearing of cap.

In regards to Pittsburgh and any deal between them and us here are the notables I have found of varying value. 

Pickering, Blomqvist, POJ, Hallander, Poulin, Smith, Broz and of course their draft picks. 

In 2023 they have their own 1st, 2nd, NJD's 3rd, no 4th, their own 5th, 6th and three 7ths(PIT/FLA/TOR)

In 2024/25 they have all of their 7 picks respectively and no extras.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/580641/owen-pickering

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/495890/joel-blomqvist

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/284911/pierre-olivier-joseph

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/293387/filip-hallander

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/290171/samuel-poulin

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/281814/ty-smith

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/470024/tristan-broz

21st in 2022 overall LD Pickering is probably their top prospect IMO. Had a late growth spurt in his late teens and now he's 6'4". Is a breakout machine and moves around well. Raw talent but good potential. 

23rd overall in 2017 LD POJ is playing in NHL, limited minutes(around 15 minutes a game) but good numbers for his first year as regular. You can check the limited underlying NHL numbers for POJ here    https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/j/joseppi01.html

21st overall in 2019 LW/RW Poulin has left the AHL team due to personal reasons back in December hence why he hasn't played much this year so he might have some serious stuff going on. Otherwise he has the toolset we want. Powerforward type player. Also has decent leadership qualities from multiple reports. 

58th overall in 2018 LW/C Hallander has had a much improved season in his 2nd season in the AHL. Prime to make a jump soon. Good two-way team player. 

52nd overall in 2020 G Blomqvist is almost only valuable if we move on from Demko. Pretty good G prospect. Potential top prospect for them.

17th overall in 2018 LD Smith is redundant with Rathbone/Hughes. 

58th overall in 2021 C Broz has had a better year in the NCAA after switching schools. Regarded as an high energy/attacking type of forward. 

I probably missed some guys like Puustinen or Nylander but I don't think these guys we want(smallish/offensive forwards).

Posted this here and on a couple other related threads. 

• Cheers 2

48 minutes ago, Doxm said:

3 more days... please Allvin work your magic and trade Boeser!!! 

I have to say, this has been the most entertaining part of the season.  For once management (and FA) have listened to the fans and we're starting to strip it down.  

If Demko goes, I have to think that Miller and Brock will be going too.

6 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

I like the player, reminds me of Cliff Ronning and I’d like to see him on a winning team. 
Sometimes the smallest hands lift the heaviest weight. Hero’s come in all shapes and sizes. 

16856DBE-86A8-4C09-AC3B-6DA023C99EAA.jpeg

I like Garland too. I’m thinking we keep him. I just don’t think he’s a difference maker. 

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I like Garland too. I’m thinking we keep him. I just don’t think he’s a difference maker. 

Alflives said:

“What role does Garland play on a contender? There are reasons why we are trying to dumperoo him. He’s small, and slow. He doesn’t drive a line. He can’t push play through the neutral zone. He’s to small and slow for PK. He’s too small, and can’t shoot well enough for the PP.  He’s not rough and tumble enough and is paid too much for a checking role. Plus, he’s just not good in that role.”

You like the player yet your opinion has not one good thing to say?
Strange days indeed , most peculiar mamma. 

• Cheers 3

Just now, Salacious Crumb said:

Cult classic. That head scene tho…

Which one? Lol. At one point a head sprouted legs.
The SFX guy had to take a medical

leave. He was so wrapped up in it all that he became quite ill.
The blood testing scene was tense.

• Upvote 1

Carolina has been oddly quiet and given Allvin’s patience lately. They could circle back with everything that’s happened in the East. Lotta big chips are off the table now. 

We have a couple of the main Forward trade pieces left.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Kubrick said:

Carolina has been oddly quiet and given Allvin’s patience lately. They could circle back with everything that’s happened in the East. Lotta big chips are off the table now. 

We have a couple of the main Forward trade pieces left.

And lots of time!

24 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

Alflives said:

“What role does Garland play on a contender? There are reasons why we are trying to dumperoo him. He’s small, and slow. He doesn’t drive a line. He can’t push play through the neutral zone. He’s to small and slow for PK. He’s too small, and can’t shoot well enough for the PP.  He’s not rough and tumble enough and is paid too much for a checking role. Plus, he’s just not good in that role.”

You like the player yet your opinion has not one good thing to say?
Strange days indeed , most peculiar mamma. 

Old man Alf is bi-polar and confused.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Well then absolutely zero retention on Miller!

Also this is the dumbest rule I've ever heard. It makes no sense whatsoever.

It's an odd one. Definitely wouldn't want any major retention for that reason, and even a low amount (say 10%) would still take up one of the available spots an possibly limit future options.

I don't see Miller happening. Schenn's done and doesn't fit the rumour. Boeser makes the most sense, but could be in a multiple piece deal. Hopefully we're getting a solid D prospect/player in one of these deals rather than relying on drafting, signing Mcdonough, free agency, etc.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

What role does Garland play on a contender? There are reasons why we are trying to dumperoo him. He’s small, and slow. He doesn’t drive a line. He can’t push play through the neutral zone. He’s to small and slow for PK. He’s too small, and can’t shoot well enough for the PP.  He’s not rough and tumble enough and is paid too much for a checking role. Plus, he’s just not good in that role. 

Plus he has no shot