The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Time's up! Finish your last sentence...

AngryElf

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I’d rather be realistic than expect all these big moves to happen. 

It’s funny cause people are gonna be mad after the trade deadline because management didn’t make all these far fetched trades that people proposed.

Go through enough trade deadlines and you stop expecting big moves to happen. 

I think the Canucks have 1 or 2 more deals to be had, how big they are remains to be seen.

if they don’t then it can wait till the draft cause they’ve shipped out the pending UFA’s and got futures for them so the heavy lifting is over 

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I’d rather be realistic than expect all these big moves to happen. 

It’s funny cause people are gonna be mad after the trade deadline because management didn’t make all these far fetched trades that people proposed.

Go through enough trade deadlines and you stop expecting big moves to happen. 

The other thing that blows my mind, that many folks cant comprehend is there is a big difference between

- What Allvin wants for value

- What a team is offering as value

- What CDC expects the value should be

Even I get caught sometimes expecting higher value than what actually happens, but then I remember that we are one of the worst teams in the league, trying to offload players to some of the best teams in the league, acting like we have the missing piece and our players are the best!

If our players were so great, we wouldn't be in the position we're in.

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

2 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

No.... no they aren't

Boeser is not a positive asset because he is underperforming on his contract. Especially in the goals department, which is what playoff teams want from him. He is a liability in the neutral and defensive zones. No team sees him as an asset unless we are retaining close to 50% of his contract.

Miller could indeed help a team making a playoff run, however his next contract immediately deflates his "asset" qualities. We can't retain, or else we retain for 7 years. Miller last TDL was a huge asset. Miller + contract is debatable, but I assure you other GM's are not willing to pay to acquire his salary cap hit.

It's better you accept now that these players are not assets for other teams or else you will be sorely disappointed with any return we get, if indeed they are traded.

On Boeser, I agree.  On Miller, no.

His contract value is fair for teams that are interested in having him long-term. Horvat got signed for 8.5 x 8 and the same just happened with Larkin. 8 x 7 for Miller doesn't sound like a crazy idea if you're a team who's going to stay competitive for the foreseeable future. If Miller gets traded, you could honestly see it as a long-winded sign & trade. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Maybe, but not by much if anything. 

I'd rather have POJ than Barrie. 

Schaeffer > Rathbone

1st = 1st

4th?  Maybe PIT throws in another prospect or pick.

It really isn't that big of a difference in value.

So price too low - if it wasn't that big difference in value they would have gone for Chychrun instead.  The teams that pivoted were initially targeting Chychrun but price sky high.  Armstrong says they'll keep him if price is not met - might be bluff after holding him out for all those games but so far no team has met his ask.   

My guess is our only move left will be to Trade Burroughs for a late round pick.  

-A Miller trade is unlikely at this stage, there is not enough money around the league to get that done at the TDL

-Boeser won't get dealt without significant retention or money coming back.  I could see this as an offseason deal

-Demko won't have enough games to get dealt by the TDL, I highly doubt he is on the market to begin with

-Garland has seen a bit of a resurgence under RT.  I think they will give him a chance to rebuild his value, or play himself into the core before dealing him

-OEL and Myers are not likely to have any suitors.

All in all, I think PA has done really well over the past month.  He is chipping away, I like that we aren't forcing anything.  We are set up for a big offseason.  I stoked, and for teh first time in a long time, I am optimistic that we have a firm plan in place.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

On Boeser, I agree.  On Miller, no.

His contract value is fair for teams that are interested in having him long-term. Horvat got signed for 8.5 x 8 and the same just happened with Larkin. 8 x 7 for Miller doesn't sound like a crazy idea if you're a team who's going to stay competitive for the foreseeable future. If Miller gets traded, you could honestly see it as a long-winded sign & trade. 

Except that Miller is Miller. Other teams are not blind to the fact that he has only one 99 pt season, and that while he is still putting up good numbers this year, he was moved away from centre because he is already a defensive liability.

They also see the attitude issues. 

I'm just saying, that yes, comparing dollars to points his contract is pretty reasonable. But I think there's a lot more risk to his contract than some realize. Not sure he is the type of player other GM's want to hitch their cart to for 7 years.

Just now, JayDangles said:

Except that Miller is Miller. Other teams are not blind to the fact that he has only one 99 pt season, and that while he is still putting up good numbers this year, he was moved away from centre because he is already a defensive liability.

They also see the attitude issues. 

I'm just saying, that yes, comparing dollars to points his contract is pretty reasonable. But I think there's a lot more risk to his contract than some realize. Not sure he is the type of player other GM's want to hitch their cart to for 7 years.

Competitive teams usually have strong leadership in the locker room and defensive structure. From that point of view, I think someone like Hextall can be convinced that Miller's attitude and defensive issues can be nullified by what's already established in that Penguins locker room. 

Until Crosby retires, the Penguins practically have an obligation to stay competitive. 

I don't have any certainty that a trade with the Pens happens, but I see the logic for why it could happen. 

Don't get me wrong, If we didn't sign Miller to an extension and looked to trade him now, the offers for him would be much better. But that doesn't mean the offers Allvin may be getting now aren't automatically terrible because of the extension. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I was under the impression Power can play both sides and doesn't Dahlin play RD? Capfriendly has him listed as both but I was pretty sure he's primarily an RD. 

As for Ottawa, perhaps Chychrun or someone else switches sides? Capfriendly has Chychrun listed as being being RD/LD. 

I think Columbus sold Gavrikov to give up assets for Chychrun, def an upgrade for them. They won't give up their own 1st as it's a lottery pick but they could give up LA's plus Sillinger, Cuelemans, Mateychuk, ect. It won't be Jiricek and it's unlikely to be Johnson but they've got prospects for sure. 

I'm really confused as to what Columbus' plan is. But, if they can manage to flip Quick for a 3rd and then trade that 3rd, LA's 1st, and one of their good but not top prospects for Chychrun I will be impressed. It would basically be trading Gavrikov and their back-up for a 3 year younger Chychrun. 

Werenski - Jiricek 

Chychrun - Peeke

Could be a scary top 4 in a couple years. All currently under 25.

15 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Competitive teams usually have strong leadership in the locker room and defensive structure. From that point of view, I think someone like Hextall can be convinced that Miller's attitude and defensive issues can be nullified by what's already established in that Penguins locker room. 

Until Crosby retires, the Penguins practically have an obligation to stay competitive. 

I don't have any certainty that a trade with the Pens happens, but I see the logic for why it could happen. 

Don't get me wrong, If we didn't sign Miller to an extension and looked to trade him now, the offers for him would be much better. But that doesn't mean the offers Allvin may be getting now aren't automatically terrible because of the extension. 

Agreed,

And really if there's any team that can bring in a guy like Miller and not worry about any potential negative attitude disrupting or taking over, its PIT. Pretty sure walking into a room with Crosby, Gino and Letang immediately humbles a guy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I'm really confused as to what Columbus' plan is. But, if they can manage to flip Quick for a 3rd and then trade that 3rd, LA's 1st, and one of their good but not top prospects for Chychrun I will be impressed. It would basically be trading Gavrikov and their back-up for a 3 year younger Chychrun. 

Werenski - Jiricek 

Chychrun - Peeke

Could be a scary top 4 in a couple years. All currently under 25.

It'd be cool to see for Columbus honestly, because of their history of not being competitive they have a similar issue to Winnipeg, they have a tough time attracting and retaining players. With Winnipeg it's more about it being Winnipeg than their being competitive. 

That'd be a good, young D core for sure. With Boqvist to round things out. 

If they can get some lottery luck this year they may have a very bright future. Young talent on the roster, some talented vets, good prospect depth with some real blue chip guys mixed in. 

Columbus fans are no strangers to suffering, it'd be cool to see them catch a break if we don't get any lottery luck. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Come on man, this season is rough for fans, we gotta have some hope. ::D

Pretty much. Just because folks propose things or argue this or that doesn't necessarily mean they believe any of it'll happen. It's just part of being on a hockey forum. It's why we have a proposals section at all. 

• Cheers 4

25 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

That thing isn't happening, but we do have another thing or 2 in the works. Just gotta wait for another thing to happen first.

If the first thing couldn’t get done then how are two more things dependent on a third, first thing, gonna be sure things? 

That’s the thing about these things. I’m starting to lose faith in all things. 

• Haha 1