The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks File Trademark for Updated Skate Logo

Rate this topic

AngryElf

15 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Except the skate's positioning is anatomically and positionally correct for a skating player.  The only time a skate is facing upwards is when the player is falling flat on their ass.  :lol:

Sounds perfect. 57 on mine please.

All things considered, I wouldn't be surprised to see the team going back to the skate jerseys full time next year with the 2023 RR being the third. For a team that is likely going to be bad for a long while, the jerseys seem to be the only real selling point that the team can work with in the meantime. The updated jersey in white might actually be the more appealing looking of the two TBH.

On 3/4/2023 at 12:29 AM, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I guess no one else remembers how the original skate logo was at times ridiculed in the local media for being drawn as plummeting downhill.  Something about how that was symbolic of Canucks history, and maybe a bad omen as well. That interpretation left me hoping that they would redesign it to actually be pointing upward one day.

The Skate is downWARD on the toe, not "downhill". It should never ever point upward which is putting the Skate on its heel. Besides, the Canucks have been "on their heels" for too long now.

A leveled Skate might take some getting used to for some, but it's worth a try. Otherwise, a logo symbolizing the speed and grace of hockey and encorporating the CANUCKS name is an instant winner in my book.

• Wat 1

On 3/1/2023 at 3:30 PM, -AJ- said:

I get the feeling that we're gonna hop on the 90s hype train and go full-time to the Skate. I wonder how many more years until it gets called the plate of spaghetti again.

Reality is this team has rebranded itself a couple times, and usually times it when change is needed.    The guys just look too boss, minus the stupid TD square, but i'm willing to overlook that, by bringing the skate back as the primary uniform.    Miller loves it.   Bieksa and his mates loved it, asked to wear it and were denied.   The WCE era has their's, Linden teams theirs, Sedin team theirs, going back to the best of the best and most liked uniform in club history isn't the end of the world.   Sure it will be an adjustment for younger fans who haven't had to go through much other then fixing the colours with the Orca and the SIR now and again. 

Thing is the blacks were good, but the whites were even better.    Back then on low D, often rabbit ears it was hard to know whom was whom lol ... with the blacks.   20 inch screen,  15 feet away.   With the whites it was much easier.   And they were our home uniforms back then.

Know it's polarizing ... but it's not like the WCE ones didn't do that too.  Sometimes removing the trauma is easy, but causes some on the way too.    This would help give the new core its identity.   Keep fin.   Or maybe it's just about giving some hope that we use the ones that won more playoff games than any other.    There will always be some that pine for one of the others, but believe the pushback won't be so bad. 

On 3/2/2023 at 8:18 PM, morgo said:

The Canucks should do one of two things...

1:  Leave the primary jerseys unchanged and stick with something for once.  Or...

2: Replace the Orca with Borovich's original Stick and Rink and switch out Agency for a bloc-font.  Put the Orca, the "VC" patch or one of the simpler Johnny Canuck logos on the shoulders.

Two things that should absolutely never change again are the current colours and the current striping configuration.  Nobody liked the way 2011 ended but it was still the best team in Canucks history and we should never deviate too far from what we wore then.  I want to see us redeem the awful way that season ended by winning a championship in Blue, White and Green.

If we switch back to Black, Yellow and Red at this point, we will forever be known as the team that can't decide on an identity.  The mistakes of our 27 year identity crisis were finally rectified in 2007.  We don't need to repeat them.

Totally get it.   The same way folks from 82 and 94 want to be vindicated, and I'm sure a few on here also want to see the WCE era back and vindicate Lidstrom's long bomb ... had one of the best teams ever assembled on the ropes.   2-0.   No other team gave the Wings as much grief on the way to the cup.    We are already known for that - but so do a half dozen other teams so it's not like we own that either.   Re-branding seems to be part of our thing, and if we are going to do this, let's do it right and start with the "unfinished business" from the skate era.   QHs and EP, Demko ... well even Podz looks like a boss.   Bite of the elephant and major surgery and all of that.    Let the core that emerges after this one (a decade or so hopefully) give the Sedins stuff another go.   At least they finally got it right.    Took over a decade (to get it right).    

On 3/4/2023 at 1:29 AM, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I guess no one else remembers how the original skate logo was at times ridiculed in the local media for being drawn as plummeting downhill

Bunch of idiots in that group though. Just making up controversies.

• Cheers 1

On 3/10/2023 at 7:01 AM, Alflives said:

Like the skate. Don’t think colours represent our city. Prefer the orca. 

This I think is the crutch of the issue. None of the logos the Canucks have ever had are truly "good", everyone just picks their flawed favourite. The colours/striping are far more important imo, and the current ones are perfect. The skate colours just look like Vegas/Cowtown. 

• Cheers 4

7 hours ago, McBackup said:

This I think is the crutch of the issue. None of the logos the Canucks have ever had are truly "good", everyone just picks their flawed favourite. The colours/striping are far more important imo, and the current ones are perfect. The skate colours just look like Vegas/Cowtown. 

true ... ottawa black and red, very bland to me, ie: boring. we still need to address the logo however

4 hours ago, granpappy said:

true ... ottawa black and red, very bland to me, ie: boring. we still need to address the logo however

Orca is our best logo hands down. Everything else is bland or messy, it’s not even really that debatable imo. 

• Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 2

12 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Orca is our best logo hands down. Everything else is bland or messy, it’s not even really that debatable imo. 

I personally love the idea of the orca in a shape of a C as our logo. Something fairly unique to Vancouver (especially with the southern residents and in particular J pod) and I love that Bill Reid, arguably our most famous First Nations artist, consulted on the design before his passing. Plus the colour scheme of blue, green and white (ocean, forest, mountains) makes a lot of sense for Vancouver. It's always nice to pay tribute to other jerseys and logos in the team’s history but ultimately I think this logo and colour theme make the most sense.

I would definitely be open to doing a redesign of the orca though with one of our current prominent First Nations artists (maybe Luke Martson?).

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/4/2023 at 1:29 AM, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I guess no one else remembers how the original skate logo was at times ridiculed in the local media for being drawn as plummeting downhill.  Something about how that was symbolic of Canucks history, and maybe a bad omen as well. That interpretation left me hoping that they would redesign it to actually be pointing upward one day.

supporting the team does often feel sisyphian, might as well represent that in the logo. 

On 3/9/2023 at 7:23 PM, Tiger-Hearted said:

The Skate is downWARD on the toe, not "downhill". It should never ever point upward which is putting the Skate on its heel. Besides, the Canucks have been "on their heels" for too long now.

A leveled Skate might take some getting used to for some, but it's worth a try. Otherwise, a logo symbolizing the speed and grace of hockey and encorporating the CANUCKS name is an instant winner in my book.

I always wondered why the skate was not just level.  Like gliding along the ice.  Perhaps they were trying to give homage to

the very early Johnny Canuck weird running on the ice style of skating that the old minor Canucks had:

whl--vancouver_canucks_1963-64.gif

I added new colours and leveled it horizontal.  Couple of colour mixes with the official colours.  I think this probably would look better once you got used to it.

image.png.daf8bce34a6726a1a6534066a772c6a3.png

• Cheers 1

On 3/12/2023 at 10:44 AM, McBackup said:

This in a nutshell.

The SIR, is our best logo... but pretty bland/doesn't really say much. The V is ridiculous and doesn't really even qualify as a logo (background design?) The skate conveys motion well, but is otherwise a busy, overwrought mess. The orca is awkward, busy and looks like a cheap imitation of local First Nations art (and constipated).

No wonder nobody can agree :lol:

• Cheers 1