The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks File Trademark for Updated Skate Logo

Rate this topic

AngryElf

how about we just stick to an identity for once. 

i hated the orca at first (because of orca bay) but i can manage now.

the colours, blue, green and white are a perfect representation of the Pacific Northwest and specifically Vancouver. 

Also the orca inhabits the waters of Vancouver so it's not completely random or unrelated to the region.

the flying skate jersey makes me think we play for team germany.

• Cheers 3

Go with updated version of the Johnny Canuck Reverse Retros full-time with navy blue as the primary dark colour and use the updated Skate as the 3rd. Ditch the cheap Agency font and go back to the traditional and much nicer-looking Athletic block font.

• RoughGame 1

13 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

In 19 seasons with the Flying Skate we got to the Cup final twice.

In 33 seasons with everything else we got to the final once.

Let's go back to the winner.

I think you mean two time loser. :lol:

But the '82 run was actually the Flying V monstrosity. :ph34r:

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

I think you mean two time loser. :lol:

But the '82 run was actually the Flying V monstrosity. :ph34r:

The flying V still had the flying skate as the team logo and it was on the arms.

Losing isn't getting to the Stanley Cup final.  Losing is what we have been doing for the last few years.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

If they go back to the skate full time within a decade all the trendhopping smoothbrains will be just insisting we change again to whatever is fashionable at the time.

Edited by McBackup
  • Vintage 1

I just looked through the trademark database and they also filed one for the reverse retro Johnny Canuck on the same day, and the Abbotsford Canucks the prior week, so it likely has more to do with crossing their t's and dotting their i's legally than indicating an actual permanent change going forward.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

The Canucks should do one of two things...

1:  Leave the primary jerseys unchanged and stick with something for once.  Or...

2: Replace the Orca with Borovich's original Stick and Rink and switch out Agency for a bloc-font.  Put the Orca, the "VC" patch or one of the simpler Johnny Canuck logos on the shoulders.

Two things that should absolutely never change again are the current colours and the current striping configuration.  Nobody liked the way 2011 ended but it was still the best team in Canucks history and we should never deviate too far from what we wore then.  I want to see us redeem the awful way that season ended by winning a championship in Blue, White and Green.

If we switch back to Black, Yellow and Red at this point, we will forever be known as the team that can't decide on an identity.  The mistakes of our 27 year identity crisis were finally rectified in 2007.  We don't need to repeat them.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

4 minutes ago, morgo said:

The Canucks should do one of two things...

1:  Leave the primary jerseys unchanged and stick with something for once.  Or...

2: Replace the Orca with Borovich's original Stick and Rink and switch out Agency for a bloc-font.  Put the Orca, the "VC" patch or one of the simpler Johnny Canuck logos on the shoulders.

Two things that should absolutely never change again are the current colours and the current striping configuration.  Nobody liked the way 2011 ended but it was still the best team in Canucks history and we should never deviate too far from what we wore then.  I want to see us redeem the awful way that season ended by winning a championship in Blue, White and Green.

If we switch back to Black, Yellow and Red at this point, we will forever be known as the team that can't decide on an identity.  The mistakes of our 27 year identity crisis were finally rectified in 2007.  We don't need to repeat them.

I also don’t understand why this team is typecast as having an “identity crisis”. It doesn’t.

They’ve worn the blue and green for the majority of their history at this point, nearly going on 20 years consecutively now, and the orca for nearly 30. They’ve had a couple deviations but seems like they’ve corrected back to their ‘true’ look. It’s no different than the Kings, or Sabres or Astros or Nuggets or several other teams who nobody says has an identity crisis.

I’m not a fan of the Orca, but the Canucks have never had a truly good logo either, so now that the script is gone I’ve made peace with it. Everything else about the uniform is stellar. The only things I’d change (outside the template issues like the collar) is putting stripes back on the pants and changing the number font. 

• Cheers 1

On 3/1/2023 at 12:30 PM, -AJ- said:

I get the feeling that we're gonna hop on the 90s hype train and go full-time to the Skate. I wonder how many more years until it gets called the plate of spaghetti again.

This logo was never good in my opinion. People were fed up with it when we had it in the 90s as well. Black just looks sleek. 

• Cheers 1

On 3/2/2023 at 6:00 PM, McBackup said:

I also don’t understand why this team is typecast as having an “identity crisis”. It doesn’t.

They’ve worn the blue and green for the majority of their history at this point, nearly going on 20 years consecutively now, and the orca for nearly 30. They’ve had a couple deviations but seems like they’ve corrected back to their ‘true’ look. It’s no different than the Kings, or Sabres or Astros or Nuggets or several other teams who nobody says has an identity crisis.

I’m not a fan of the Orca, but the Canucks have never had a truly good logo either, so now that the script is gone I’ve made peace with it. Everything else about the uniform is stellar. The only things I’d change (outside the template issues like the collar) is putting stripes back on the pants and changing the number font. 

I just think they should have one primary logo. The white orca. Not the blue one. I still think the white one on both white and blues would look pretty good. I guess they want the whale to pop on the whites but I think it would look pretty clean with a white orca on it. Anyone willing to photoshop it on the white jerseys? Anyways it would also make sense for Rogers Arena to have the white home orca. The blue is for the away jersey. Doesn't make much sense to have it at center ice at home.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

3 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I just think they should have one primary logo. The white orca. Not the blue one. I still think the white one on both white and blues would look pretty good. I guess the want the whale to pop on the whites but I think it would look pretty clean with a white orca on it. Anyone willing to photoshop it on the white jerseys? Anyways it would also make sense for Rogers Arena to have the white home orca. The blue is for the away jersey. Doesn't make much sense to have it at center ice at home.

The logo is the same and used interchangeably depending on the background it's used for. It makes complete sense for it to alternate for colour balance and clarity depending on which application its being used for, just like Tampa, Toronto, Calgary, St. Louis, Washington and the Rangers

Edited by McBackup
  • Cheers 1

On 3/1/2023 at 12:30 PM, -AJ- said:

I get the feeling that we're gonna hop on the 90s hype train and go full-time to the Skate. I wonder how many more years until it gets called the plate of spaghetti again.

Still better than the orca imo. 

• Like 2
  • RoughGame 2

I guess no one else remembers how the original skate logo was at times ridiculed in the local media for being drawn as plummeting downhill.  Something about how that was symbolic of Canucks history, and maybe a bad omen as well. That interpretation left me hoping that they would redesign it to actually be pointing upward one day.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I guess no one else remembers how the original skate logo was at times ridiculed in the local media for being drawn as plummeting downhill.  Something about how that was symbolic of Canucks history, and maybe a bad omen as well. That interpretation left me hoping that they would redesign it to actually be pointing upward one day.

Its trendy though. The people insisting we switch to it will insist we switch to something else when that becomes trendy.

• Vintage 1