The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

15 minutes ago, Putgolzin said:

And paired with Hronek next year we see OEL have a stratosphere-shattering rebirth similar to Karlsson's...

OEL needs to get healthy, have a strong offseason, and be given a defined defensive role that sees him as a facilitator to Hronek's play style.

4 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

More believable than OEL buyout. 

OEL can't be bought out but let's see what Tocchet does with OEL. Maybe he can turn him back to the old OEL  and have him focus more on defending while having Hronek focus on the offense. It's not ideal for Canucks to have a 7 million dollar defensive dman but I think if OEL just focuses on D and forgets jumping in from the Blueline, simplifying his game may just improve his defensive game. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

OEL can't be bought out but let's see what Tocchet does with OEL. Maybe he can turn him back to the old OEL  and have him focus more on defending while having Hronek focus on the offense. It's not ideal for Canucks to have a 7 million dollar defensive dman but I think if OEL just focuses on D and forgets jumping in from the Blueline, simplifying his game may just improve his defensive game. 

The old OEL was an offensive defenceman who was somewhat suspect defensively. 
‘Last year he was decent defensively and much more limited offensively than previous but also lacking in opportunity because we stupidly waisted a high pick and tonnes of cap to get a player that plays the same position as one of our best players. 
‘This year he has been lousy at both. He said he came into camp healthy and in shape but sure hasn’t looked it. 
‘I don’t know what we will get in OEL next year but do know he will be here. No way we buy him out and with his NMC and quality of play, no way he moves. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

The old OEL was an offensive defenceman who was somewhat suspect defensively. 
‘Last year he was decent defensively and much more limited offensively than previous but also lacking in opportunity because we stupidly waisted a high pick and tonnes of cap to get a player that plays the same position as one of our best players. 
‘This year he has been lousy at both. He said he came into camp healthy and in shape but sure hasn’t looked it. 
‘I don’t know what we will get in OEL next year but do know he will be here. No way we buy him out and with his NMC and quality of play, no way he moves. 

Yeah I really liked OEL's play last year but he's been pretty bad at times this year.  

His bad play was a contributing factor in our goalies being so bad this year and the two fed into each other.  

Definitely see him and Hronek having a good year next year.  They shouldn't let OEL play in the World Championships this summer.  He fractured his foot while blocking a shot last summer and never looked 100% this year. 

19 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Lou himself said - too long and too much money. Subtext: ill be long gone soon so idc how this plays out. 

Reality is - Bo is already reverting to the 50 point / 30 goal scorer that he was. Hronek as a top-4 RHD alone is more valuable than that.

Actions speak louder than words....Reality is - Lou traded for a guy who was an impending UFA, gave up a significant return and then signed him to a lucrative, long-term extension. Your "subtext" is pure conjecture....

As far as Bo's "reversion", he's playing on a more defensive minded team and he doesn't have the offensive talent around he that he had in Vancouver. A drop in offensive production was expected.

8 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yeah I really liked OEL's play last year but he's been pretty bad at times this year.  

His bad play was a contributing factor in our goalies being so bad this year and the two fed into each other.  

Definitely see him and Hronek having a good year next year.  They shouldn't let OEL play in the World Championships this summer.  He fractured his foot while blocking a shot last summer and never looked 100% this year. 

Wonder if he's got the Forsberg foot? 

OEL's deployment here is almost exactly the same as Hronek's was in Detroit. 20-21 minutes, both have 46% ozone starts, both are puck movers with good but not great defensive play. They shouldn't be used as a shutdown pair, but that's a solid two way pairing where both players can pass and move the puck at a high level. It's certainly an upgrade over a OEL/Bear pair and is immensely better than a OEL/Myers pair. Sit OEL for the rest of the season imo. Not for team tank reasons, but to get him back to 100%. I'd say the same of Hronek. Shut em both down.

If the goal is playoffs next year, which sounds like is the play. We need to get OEL and Hronek to 100%. There's no reason to risk injury playing them this season. Especially OEL at this point who seems like has been playing injured. Can throw them in for a 3-5 games to end the year. Just to get some reps together. But I don't think it benefits us to throw them in for 10-15+ games if they aren't healthy.

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Lou himself said - too long and too much money. Subtext: ill be long gone soon so idc how this plays out. 

Reality is - Bo is already reverting to the 50 point / 30 goal scorer that he was. Hronek as a top-4 RHD alone is more valuable than that.

It was a joke - Lamoriello was laughing with reporters when he said that. 

1 hour ago, mll said:

It was a joke - Lamoriello was laughing with reporters when he said that. 

Definitely true though 

8.5m for Bo is steep overpayment, as is now becoming clear and will continue to be made clear in the seasons ahead 

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1
  • elephant 1

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Actions speak louder than words....Reality is - Lou traded for a guy who was an impending UFA, gave up a significant return and then signed him to a lucrative, long-term extension. Your "subtext" is pure conjecture....

As far as Bo's "reversion", he's playing on a more defensive minded team and he doesn't have the offensive talent around he that he had in Vancouver. A drop in offensive production was expected.

A drop in offensive production should absolutely be expected, back down to his 50 point / 30 goal pace that everyone who’s watched him forever knows he is capable of. And that’s exactly what he’s producing now. 

and 8.5m for that, over so many years, is incredible overpayment. That’s 85 point player money. I mean.. it’s DYLAN LARKIN money, and he’s a far more complete player than Bo. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, eeeeergh said:

A drop in offensive production should absolutely be expected, back down to his 50 point / 30 goal pace that everyone who’s watched him forever knows he is capable of. And that’s exactly what he’s producing now. 

and 8.5m for that, over so many years, is incredible overpayment. That’s 85 point player money. I mean.. it’s DYLAN LARKIN money, and he’s a far more complete player than Bo. 

According to you....but not to the guy who actually makes the decision what he's worth.....

57 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

According to you....but not to the guy who actually makes the decision what he's worth.....

So because an NHL GM gave a player a salary its good value? No GM has ever overpaid for a player?

An NHL GM gave Loui Eriksson 6 million

For comparison to Bo at 8.5 million with his 50 point / 30 goal pace, Kirill Kaprizov gets 9 million a year, a 110 point franchise 1st liner

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

28 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

So because an NHL GM gave a player a salary its good value? No GM has ever overpaid for a player?

An NHL GM gave Loui Eriksson 6 million

For comparison to Bo at 8.5 million with his 50 point / 30 goal pace, Kirill Kaprizov gets 9 million a year, a 110 point franchise 1st liner

Nobody claimed it was good value. It's what the market is....

This debate all started when someone made the claim that we would all have believed we would have to add in a hypothetical Hronek for Horvat trade. I stated that I certainly would not have felt that way. That was point that you started in with the "Horvat is garbage" narrative.

According to a highly respected NHL GM, it's your opinion that's garbage.

• Wat 1

5 hours ago, Jester13 said:

OEL needs to get healthy, have a strong offseason, and be given a defined defensive role that sees him as a facilitator to Hronek's play style.

IMHO the challenge with OEL is that he is an offensive D-man that the Canucks have tried to turn into a defensive D-man. I would love to see him on the third pairing with a defensive D-man and let him loose offensively:

QH Hronek

Xxx Bear

OEL "Schenn type"

5 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I forgot about that.  

That plus general fitness might have led to him tweaking something.  I still remember management saying they were going to shut down another player or two with Mikheyev and noone else has been sat - leads me to believe they might be on the IR already.  

While he was on the ice for some flubs to start the year, he still had some bright spots and was putting up good points for the first half.  I watched OEL fairly closely and it looked like he was getting worse and worse physically as time went on.  

Hopefully he can bounce back - I like his chances with either Hronek or Bear as their mobility will offset his slowing down.

3 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

IMHO the challenge with OEL is that he is an offensive D-man that the Canucks have tried to turn into a defensive D-man. I would love to see him on the third pairing with a defensive D-man and let him loose offensively:

QH Hronek

Xxx Bear

OEL "Schenn type"

I wish people would stop putting Bear in the top 4…

• Cheers 2

On 3/4/2023 at 1:56 PM, Boudrias said:

The cost of buying OEL out is to high on CAP retention. Based on what coaching saw I wonder if OEL can be stabilized? Meyers will be gone. Is Boeser or Garland gone? That decision likely happens during camp when the new challengers step up. There is no hurry on Garland but Boeser should go. 

On 3/4/2023 at 1:14 PM, MeanSeanBean said:

We are better with Hronek, that's correct. But the real question is, is the team better with Horvat or Hronek/NewBeau. That's a much more debatable subject. 

On 3/4/2023 at 12:26 PM, BobbyClarke said:

I think we will be more successful with Hughes and Hronek playing on different pairings. Each one needs a more defensive minded partner. They will be a great 1-2 punch though. 

Yeh this is a great conversation. First we are better to try to make OEL worth his pay. but I have to say Boeser and Garland are both worth their cap hit, especially when you are looking at OEL cap, Pay and production.

Second, Hronec is better with NewBeau over Horvat. Look at NewBeau numbers since deal compared to Bo. Adding a stable D will help OEL or Myers. Hughes doesnt need him....

I agree that Hughes doesnt need to play with Hronek, Hughes can make anyone better (thinking both OEL and Myers) and the fact Bear can also play with anyone and make them look better.... we have a hope of making both OEL and Myers look better soon so we can deal for cap this summer.