The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

7 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

7M? He'll either walk, or he'll be traded. No way we can afford that, or even if we could, should we sign him to that kind of deal? 

That’s what I think he could get on the open market or if he has another good year. 

I think he’s worth more 6ish. 

Hard to say. He plays a valuable and sought after position. Will be a year from UFA after contract and be a young UFA. 

Cross that bridge when we get there. 

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Based off this year I doubt it. He’s plays a valuable and sought after position. Given he’d be a young UFA and his position he’d get overpaid on open market.

He’s 1 year from UFA after his contract. He can just go to arbitration if we lowball him.

Maybe we could swing 6.5M I think long term. 

And depending on how he plays, he's likely better used as an asset to cash in next tdl in that case.

13 minutes ago, Podkolzins Snipe said:

I agree with your take and I love this trade when you look at the pros and cons and timeline this trade makes tons of sense right now.

Now 1 reason there's such a difference of opinion here is a lot of fans don't think we're close but I think we are a playoff team next season especially if they rid of Myers which is the next best thing that could happen.

I think with a healthier team with elite Demko, the Hronek and Bear additions the right side is much better eating all those horrible win killing Myers minutes and possibly Poolman/Schenn next year that right side is wayyyy better and that's been the biggest weakness.

As for the left side Hughes, OEL(think he has played hurt and can get at least a bit better) and Dermott who is a player I really like that's pretty decent I think Dermott is underrated and could step up.

As far as forwards go we have seen they can score with anyone and I'm expecting more out of Hoglander, Podkolzin, Garland and Kravtsov...now they just need to work hard on the pk forward group.

As for that horrible PK Myers was a huge weakness there and not having elite Demko but I like the sounds of Hronek being a big improvement there over Myers taking his minutes and we could see Bear, Poolman/Schenn Hughes, OEL, Dermott  being a much better group in front of Demko.

To me this defense now and especially the furure is pretty solid and getting much better overall and if all turns out could actually be great!

Hughes Bear

OEL Hronek 

Dermott Poolman/Schenn

Rathbone  Poolman/Schenn

Others Livingston (hoping) Johansson and later Pettersson #2, Jurmo, Truscott + our 1st pick this year or next likely at least 1 solid top 4 hopeful there.

Now really it's just some PK forwards that are needed  and compared to all the other important things I'd think that should be the easier of things to improve via trade or free agency.

Anyway I see a huge turn around next season and I love what they're doing and see this team a way ahead of where most pessimistic fans claim they are and that'll be proven next season I have no doubt.

I think brisebois is part of next year Canucks. He was solid and stable in the stars game and played 20mins as well as all the other games so far this season. 
I don’t see poolman nor Schenn comin back. 
Brock could be traded to Wild for greenway + 2nd this summer

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The most obvious aspect of this trade is that Yzerman knows a couple of easy marks when he sees them. 

My first thought was along the lines of ...yup Yzerman knows how to build a winner while our owner can't leave well enough alone and hired 2nd tier management. 

• Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

It just feels like another shortcut. But, I agree, it is a direction they've chosen. I'm here for it because I have no other choice. I'm excited at the potential for a Hughes-Hronek pairing, as the ceiling is a top pair in the league. I worry about mediocrity continuing for the next five years. Fingers crossed.

I am pretty confident there are more moves on the way and that Hughes and Hronek will be on different pairings...

• Like 1

Just now, N4ZZY said:

7M? He'll either walk, or he'll be traded. No way we can afford that, or even if we could, should we sign him to that kind of deal?

Well, I don't know about that number, but if we don't re-sign him, we gave up a 1st and 2nd in a deep draft, for a year and a half of a player that will be gone long before the team can actually contend....

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

When you frame it that way, it really looks nice.  

Didn’t think we’d get a RD and C for Bo alone.

A lot rides on Raty’s development, of course… and what we do with Beau.

If Raty can develop into either a 2 or 3c then its a W already.

Beauvillier outscoring Horvat for less then half of his extension.

Raty getting a look with the big club

Hronek trade, top 4 rhd, 25, signed then under control as rfa, looks to be the pp2 qb.

why didnt detroit want Horvat for Hronek? :emot-parrot:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

And depending on how he plays, he's likely better used as an asset to cash in next tdl in that case.

Depends for what though. We’ll be getting to the point where picks and prospects won’t mean as much with the core getting closer to the other side of 25. Top picks/prospects sure as they’re more sure things than regular prospects/picks. Unless you plan on flipping them. 

Any sort of rebuild on the fly should have started last TD with Miller. After this season I think we’re past the point of starting one. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Must have missed it but why did Detroit move him?  Doesn't it now create a hole in their lineup.  Thought they were ready to take that next step and even extended Larkin.

Because NY’s first and Vancouver’s second is more valuable than Hronek. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mll said:

Must have missed it but why did Detroit move him?  Doesn't it now create a hole in their lineup.  Thought they were ready to take that next step and even extended Larkin.

I am not sure. Gustav Lidstrom hasn’t really threaded the needle and make him expendable. They are more deep with LD prospects than RD with Edvinsson, Wallinder and Johansson. 

5 minutes ago, McBackup said:

Doubtful, as far as the players they'd get in those spots.  They certainly could have held more value had they waited until the draft to use those assets.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, McBackup said:

Larkin just signed an extension (drafted in 2014 - ie 2 years before Hronek).  They were in a wildcard battle nearly all season with them falling off only more recently.

Hronek plays 21:30 minutes a night for them only Seider averages more.  He's 25.  Isn't it surprising that they moved on for picks and create that kind of hole in their lineup.  A pick this year is several years away so why didn't they see Hronek as part of their future.  

Edited by mll