The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

6 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

We actually have a pretty good prospect pool now though.

Filip Johansson and Joni Jurmo are both looking like the real deal. EP2 is playing significant minutes in the SHL as an 18 year old as well. Thats 3 solid defensive prospects that should all be ready to step in within the next 2-3 years.

On forward.. we have Raty, Karlsson, Hoglander, Klimovich. Karlsson and Klim all way exceeded expectations this year and look like they could do some serious damage for us soon. Raty was a huge get as well and could be a two way 2C for us in a few years. 

Goaltending we have silovs whos looking like the real deal.

Dailyfaceoff top prospects  October, 2022

Check out prospect #23, 25 and 56

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/top-75-nhl-affiliated-skater-prospects

20 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Im of the opinion that 27th place doenst accurately reflect what this team can do next year.

1. We had no goaltending all year. None. 

2. Our D-core was atrocious. And looks like they're well on their way to fixing it before next year. We now need a defensive minded LD and we should be in good shape. 

3. We had no penalty killers. Bo was not good at it. This will be huge to address - Hronek is a penalty killer, and we need a penalty killing 3C. A poehling or Jost, or someone of the sort.

Make those 3 changes and all of a sudden we're a good team. We have a pretty lethal top-6 and a very good goaltender.

We were lucky to finish so low, itll let us get a way better draft pick than our lineup probably deserves.

I think you're dreaming. All of the sudden we're a good team? How on earth is that supposed to happen, magic?

Good grief Charlie Brown. :lol:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

With thinking the GM's going to be competent and make a good trade in trading away Hughes. ;)

As long as we don't let other teams find out he could walk at any moment, it should be okay :bigblush:

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah, well at least now it's guaranteed. We're an awful bottom 6 team with the worst cap situation in the league and next to 0 prospects in the pipeline. Put a fork in us and set the alarm for 2030.

We are an under achieving team with injuries. The rest of the bottom 6 isn't

• Cheers 2

Disappointed we didn't follow up on this trade with another win-soon deal. I guess there's time in the offseason to try and make another deal but right now we still suck as a team and have two less top picks.

Management have set their minds up - they want to make the playoffs next year. If they're not in a playoff hunt halfway through next year they should be punished for this. If they were happy with a slower retool and use the picks then great but they're basically saying they want to win soon (not now) with this move. You can't be a buyer, trade off picks and still suck. It's a hard balance to buy as a bad team and drag yourself out of it.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

so both fan bases think they lost the horned trade, lol, well I know DET did. Hronek has top 10 d man in nhl potential 

Funny, all the Detroit fans I know have said he's had an inflated season and that they sold high... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Funny, all the Detroit fans I know have said he's had an inflated season and that they sold high... 

Theyre hoping he had an inflated season.

He was second on their team in scoring so not sure who was inflating his stats? Powerplay time? Wasn’t he on the second unit?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

"- On Hronek, the weren't actively shopping him. Got an offer they couldnt refuse"

My assumption had been they learned Yzerman was shopping Hronek and felt they had to jump in and make a deal now instead of waiting until the draft. That appears to not have been the case.

45 minutes ago, The Lock said:

With thinking the GM's going to be competent and make a good trade in trading away Hughes. ;)

Whoa, gotta disagree here brother....even Mike Milbury could get a good return for Quinn Hughes....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Stop trading away all our picks for once and establish a pipeline.

I believe the pipeline has gotten bigger when you look at how much has been brought in since last summer 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, T.Demko said:

At least there's hope in that, especially in a deep draft, over this never ending mediocrity management loves reliving.  Absolute insanity.

I have a lot of hope for Hronek. I think he’s a great player. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, awalk said:

That's the problem when you have such a limited prospect pool and lack of draft capital. Every high pick has to be a home run and every prospect has a massive magnifying glass on them the moment they join the organization.

I don't really see a way out of that besides drafting as early as possible and often as possible for at least a couple of drafts in a row. Maybe I'm not creative enough.

I look at it as if they didn’t trade away any picks and we got some assets on top of that. We don’t have a second rounder but we have 5 picks in rounds 3 and 4

20 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Weird one of my best buddies is a Red Wings fan and he hates the trade. 

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Theyre hoping he had an inflated season.

He was second on their team in scoring so not sure who was inflating his stats? Powerplay time? Wasn’t he on the second unit?

Nah I mean like having a Horvat season. 

3 minutes ago, Devron said:

Weird one of my best buddies is a Red Wings fan and he hates the trade. 

Of course he does. This trade doesn't fix either team.

Detroit got worse and have a hole on defense and Canucks didn't improve the defense in their defense.

He's always been mediocre defensively.

We don't need more of those. 

1 minute ago, MikeyD said:

Nah I mean like having a Horvat season. 

Horvat is 27.  You don't expect a player to continue developing at that point so his great year is more likely what is referred to as a career year and we would expect him to regress to his mean performance.  Horvat has steady stats for the last few years and a big increase this year.  Same happened with Miller last year at age 28.  Same happened with both Sedins at age 29-30.

You could certainly argue that at age 25, Hronek has been improving every year in terms of points, and when he didn't improve in points, he made a tremendous improvement in +/-.  So Hronek is more likely to be able to sustain this level.  He is now fully developed.