The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

7 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Agreed. The cautious approach is paramount regarding Hronek. Throwing money at a player well before you need to seems to be this management's Achilles heel. Waiting until he's actually joined the team and had a decent run of games where he's acclimated himself makes sense as far as making a judgment call on his future worth contractually. 

If we had waited a few more weeks to sign Kuzmenko, Milstein would have wanted $8 million.  At the end of the day, Allvin went all in with Hronek, he is Allvin's guy.  He has scouted him since his days in Pittsburgh.  He doesn't need to wait another year to know what he has.  Hronek could put up 60 points with this team.  Allvin will sign him this summer to a 7-8 year extension.  Probably a 7x8 deal is my guess.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If we had waited a few more weeks to sign Kuzmenko, Milstein would have wanted $8 million.  At the end of the day, Allvin went all in with Hronek, he is Allvin's guy.  He has scouted him since his days in Pittsburgh.  He doesn't need to wait another year to know what he has.  Hronek could put up 60 points with this team.  Allvin will sign him this summer to a 7-8 year extension.  Probably a 7x8 deal is my guess.

Could put up 60 points. Could not mesh at all with the team. Could mesh well. 

Signing a player to a multi year contract when they have barely been able to develop chemistry with the team is a questionable move. 

12 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Could put up 60 points. Could not mesh at all with the team. Could mesh well. 

Signing a player to a multi year contract when they have barely been able to develop chemistry with the team is a questionable move. 

True.  But the alternative is to have him play out his contract next year and then he is an RFA.  I don't think Allvin is going to let that happen.  Same with Petey.  He will sign them both to 8-year contract extensions this summer...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

True.  But the alternative is to have him play out his contract next year and then he is an RFA.  I don't think Allvin is going to let that happen.  Same with Petey.  He will sign them both to 8-year contract extensions this summer...

true that, as long as we can afford them in the cap. which means dropping a few millar demko, others

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

be real dude, look at our current cap hit. these are all good moves but the reason we dont have this great rh defense is explained on cap friendly and our daily and current cap hit. We need OEL to have more than a sprain to get the room to have him play.

OEL needs his ankle to turn into a LTIR like Pearson's hand.

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

For sure. I get where you and others are coming from. AiLvin has made a firm decision by trading for him. That decision will include a contract extension. I just hope it works out, being a Canucks fan and all. :lol:

• Huggy Bear 1

9 hours ago, EastCoastNucks said:

be real dude, look at our current cap hit. these are all good moves but the reason we dont have this great rh defense is explained on cap friendly and our daily and current cap hit. We need OEL to have more than a sprain to get the room to have him play.

OEL needs his ankle to turn into a LTIR like Pearson's hand.

How You Doin Hello GIF by SVT

This guy will make sure he's got more than a sprain. He doesn't come cheap, but he gets the job done, brah.

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

How You Doin Hello GIF by SVT

This guy will make sure he's got more than a sprain. He doesn't come cheap, but he gets the job done, brah.

I think after Pearson management is gonna take a more cautious approach with injuries. Seems evident with how they handled Demko, they took their time with him. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think after Pearson management is gonna take a more cautious approach with injuries. Seems evident with how they handled Demko, they took their time with him. 

Demko looks great. Seeing him return to form makes the tank driving off into the horizon a bit easier to take. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

For sure. I get where you and others are coming from. AiLvin has made a firm decision by trading for him. That decision will include a contract extension. I just hope it works out, being a Canucks fan and all. :lol:

Maybe we are suffering from PTBD? (Post Traumatic Benning Disorder)

Hronek is a heck of a good player. This isn’t Gudbranson. 

• There it is 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Demko looks great. Seeing him return to form makes the tank driving off into the horizon a bit easier to take. 

Management and Medical did well with managing his injury, especially after Pearson.

They've learned, grown and rectified themselves. 

Sucks Pearson had to suffer for them to do that though.

I want Bedard but onus is not on players to tank so it is what it is. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Maybe we are suffering from PTBD? (Post Traumatic Benning Disorder)

Hronek is a heck of a good player. This isn’t Gudbranson. 

Hronek is a more well-rounded player. Gudbranson is a solid third pairing, physical menace who, when put in that role, excels. It's when he's tasked with more positional play that he struggles.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hronek is a more well-rounded player. Gudbranson is a solid third pairing, physical menace who, when put in that role, excels. It's when he's tasked with more positional play that he struggles.

Yup. And Benning paid Mccaan (a recent first) and a second for Guddy. Too much for what Guddy brings. Hronek will anchor our second pairing. He’s worth the price paid. 

41 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Gudbranson is a solid third pairing, physical menace who, when put in that role, excels. It's when he's tasked with more positional play that he struggles.

It's even more evident when he is paid like a top 4. If guddy made a million a year everyone would love him.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, coryberg said:

It's even more evident when he is paid like a top 4. If guddy made a million a year everyone would love him.

For sure. When Guddy was a Canuck and Tom Wilson tried to mug him, and Wilson got his ass handed to him, it was great. He was best here when he was paired with Edler who helped to manage his gaffes. I remember when those two were paired together during a game against Boston, and they neutralized the top line of Sharthand, Panzersnack, and Bergeron. Put Gudbranson with Hutton or Pouliot, and the wheels fell right off.

Paying him $3-4 M isn't commiserate to what he brings.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1