The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

That is what I've read about Hronek's defensive game improvements since his draft.  I hadn't seen anything about his

puck moving skills.  He was displaced on the 1st pairing by Seider, but it appears (stats wise) that he has had his

best season so far.  Seems like a good partner for Quinn.

His wicked shot will help on the Canucks pp as well.

I'd say Seider has come back to earth this season....... we'll see how he responds next year.

5 hours ago, stawns said:

I'd say Seider has come back to earth this season....... we'll see how he responds next year.

Curious if he will struggle with harder minutes and more minutes without Hronek eating minutes.

Other notable things about our trade for Hronek his both draft picks continue to get worse since we made the trade.

They NYI pick keeps on going lower, and same with our second rounder.

So thats a positive as sad as all this winning sees us flirting with picking 8-12 from 6-7.

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Curious if he will struggle with harder minutes and more minutes without Hronek eating minutes.

Other notable things about our trade for Hronek his both draft picks continue to get worse since we made the trade.

They NYI pick keeps on going lower, and same with our second rounder.

So thats a positive as sad as all this winning sees us flirting with picking 8-12 from 6-7.

I don't see anything too sad......anything 6-12 would be a top 5 pick in most draft years.  They're going to get an excellent player

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I don't see anything too sad......anything 6-12 would be a top 5 pick in most draft years.  They're going to get an excellent player

If you view it as losing the 5OA position, it’s disappointing. 

When you realize we have no business drafting top ten to start with, you can just be grateful. 

We have a (slim) shot at at Bedard or Fantilli, and the consolation is equivalent to a top 5 pick. That’s pretty damn good.

In the outside chance we rise up to 13/14, we’ll have a chance at Carlson/Mitchkov, too!

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

43 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

If you view it as losing the 5OA position, it’s disappointing. 

When you realize we have no business drafting top ten to start with, you can just be grateful. 

We have a (slim) shot at at Bedard or Fantilli, and the consolation is equivalent to a top 5 pick. That’s pretty damn good.

In the outside chance we rise up to 13/14, we’ll have a chance at Carlson/Mitchkov, too!

Agreed, I never really expected 1-5 to even be a remote possibility, outside of a lottery win

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Just played the simulator 6 times and got 2nd twice, 8th twice and 9th twice. However, after Demko, Miller and Peetie drag us into getting at least one point in our remaining games….

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, steviewonder20 said:

Just played the simulator 6 times and got 2nd twice, 8th twice and 9th twice. However, after Demko, Miller and Peetie drag us into getting at least one point in our remaining games….

I’ll be a little concerned if we get to 12th. Also interested if JRPA do anything obvious at that point to ‘manage our season.’

“starting in goal… number 57…Tyler Myers!”

Edited by Kenny Powers
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Agreed, I never really expected 1-5 to even be a remote possibility, outside of a lottery win

When you looked at depth charts and team builds of those bottom 5 teams it would have been pretty shocking if we did true

Just now, sarjakd said:

Has there been any updates that he's in Vancouver and any update on his injury?

Yup. Detroit has gone in the tank without him. We stole their best D. And he’s going to anchor our second pairing for the next 5-8 years. 

I really hope Tocchet doesn't play Hughes and Hronek together, as easy as it may seem, it'll just blunt one of their offensive abilities, and I fear that'll be Hronek's as he'll be asked to defend more and his numbers will really take a nose dive.

You just know management won't acquire another defenceman and we'll start next season with this:

Hughes - Bear

OEL - Hronek

Rathbone - Myers

Management have some work to do, there's a couple of decent UFAs out there and of course some costly wingers on our behalf to shift. In the ideal world we'd get rid of Myers and acquire one or two top-4 defencemen but I don't see that happening. OEL isn't going anywhere unless he's bought out which isn't very tasteful.

An easy fix for me would be to flip Garland or Boeser and use that money to sign Graves, and then hope we can snag Livingstone. A very expensive defence but Myers will come off the books soon enough and an OEL buyout may not be too nasty in a year or two's time.

Graves - Hronek

Hughes - Livingstone

OEL - Bear

Would be great if we can roll a 1-2 defensive pairing punch like that. Nuts to think Hughes would be on our "2nd pairing". We'd probably use Quinn in more offensive situations and Graves - Hronek become our new "shutdown" pair who can obviously also score a plenty. When you look at the successful teams like Boston, that's how their defence is written up. Their 2nd pairing is better than most team's 1st pairings.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Detroit has gone in the tank without him. We stole their best D. And he’s going to anchor our second pairing for the next 5-8 years. 

5 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I really hope Tocchet doesn't play Hughes and Hronek together, as easy as it may seem, it'll just blunt one of their offensive abilities, and I fear that'll be Hronek's as he'll be asked to defend more and his numbers will really take a nose dive.

You just know management won't acquire another defenceman and we'll start next season with this:

Hughes - Bear

OEL - Hronek

Rathbone - Myers

Management have some work to do, there's a couple of decent UFAs out there and of course some costly wingers on our behalf to shift. In the ideal world we'd get rid of Myers and acquire one or two top-4 defencemen but I don't see that happening. OEL isn't going anywhere unless he's bought out which isn't very tasteful.

An easy fix for me would be to flip Garland or Boeser and use that money to sign Graves, and then hope we can snag Livingstone. A very expensive defence but Myers will come off the books soon enough and an OEL buyout may not be too nasty in a year or two's time.

Graves - Hronek

Hughes - Livingstone

OEL - Bear

Would be great if we can roll a 1-2 defensive pairing punch like that. Nuts to think Hughes would be on our "2nd pairing". We'd probably use Quinn in more offensive situations and Graves - Hronek become our new "shutdown" pair who can obviously also score a plenty. When you look at the successful teams like Boston, that's how their defence is written up. Their 2nd pairing is better than most team's 1st pairings.

I don't know why people keep thinking this will be the initial set-up.  Hronek is a solid player and we paid a hefty price for him.  If he is re-signed, he will also earn at least $6.5M.  He was the move to slot into that top RD role we've desperately needed.  Thoughts on having two offensive puck movers with average defensive metrics playing together?  Doesn't matter what I think - Allvin made his intentions clear.  Hughes and Hronek will start the season on the top pairing.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I don't know why people keep thinking this will be the initial set-up.  Hronek is a solid player and we paid a hefty price for him.  If he is re-signed, he will also earn at least $6.5M.  He was the move to slot into that top RD role we've desperately needed.  Thoughts on having two offensive puck movers with average defensive metrics playing together?  Doesn't matter what I think - Allvin made his intentions clear.  Hughes and Hronek will start the season on the top pairing.

Has he said his intention is for them to play together or that Hronek was brought in to be RD1, because those aren't the same. You can be on the second pairing as RD1 getting extra shifts in place of the third pairing dman and what not. You can have Hughes and Hronek both playing 25 minutes a night without playing together as main partners. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

Has he said his intention is for them to play together or that Hronek was brought in to be RD1, because those aren't the same. You can be on the second pairing as RD1 getting extra shifts in place of the third pairing dman and what not. You can have Hughes and Hronek both playing 25 minutes a night without playing together as main partners. 

Yup. Hughes will anchor one pair and Hronek will anchor the other. When it’s most important, they will see time together. 
The Wings went into the tank after Hronek went out. Seider got the press (and should; he’s their future) but Hronek was clearly their most important D. And now we have him. Huge get for us. Kind of like when Gillis was able to support Edler (our one D at that time) with Hamhuis. That’s how to build a winner. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Alflives said:

From around 2014 to 2018, the best player Detroit got out of those drafts was Hronek. 

If we were Detroit , I don't think we'd be satisfied with the return on the trade. All they got was some picks. No roster players or prospects

46 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

So... early thoughts? 

Looks like pro-scouting nailed this target imo

It was clear from the beginning we stole the Wings best D man. It’s been confirmed est hi g the Wings struggle without him. It’s even more evident watching Hronek play tonight. The guy is a brilliant player. Thanks for the gift Detroit! 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1