The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wow! Wtf?

Rate this topic

iceman64

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

We have a coaches no staff who insists guys don’t cheat the game. That’s why Horfat is gone big time cheater of how to play. 

Lol Fr. Horvat works hard but lowkey a cheater for a player who is known for his work ethic. 

3 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Nothing is more dangerous than a non-playoff Canucks team in March 

the franchise just can't handle the pressure in this city, it chokes them. Once they are eliminated, there's nothing at stake anymore, so ofc their play immediately improves.

But the ones who are completely averse to taking a true step back to start (finally) taking true steps forward ignore the fact that Petey and Hughes don’t want to be on a top team just from March to May every year. That’s not going to be enough for them to want to be here. 

The reality is pretty much every year this team craps the bed for 3/4 of the season and only starts winning games when they no longer matter. That’s not being a winning team and it certainly isn’t the moral victory the players need to learn to win next year. You guys and Canucks management have been saying that for what 8 years now? Have they actually learned anything other than they need to do just enough to keep their jobs for it to be good enough?

Injuries are part of hockey. The good teams actually have the ability to fill those holes. Either through creating cap space and changing out personnel or through a strong farm system. The Canucks never manage to do or have either. 

A guy like Bedard would instantly buy the Canucks time to fix some very big issues. But it’s more important they win meaningless games to somehow show they are really a good contending team with bad luck? They aren’t. The team as constructed is pretty terrible and has been for a long time. Trading picks like candy is and has been the problem. Although somewhat understandable since they always seem to pick the wrong players anyway unless they are a slam dunk at whatever spot the Canucks are picking. Even then they screw it up half the time. 

• RoughGame 1

In coming 10 game winning streak. 
demko back in vezina form 

ep being ep. Kuz going bananas 

With  hronek OEL coming in Myers hughes filling the top 4 d. 

we should crack 80-85 points with 19 games left 

playoff teams start resting and not want to risk injuries. 

bottom teams desperate to give them selves the best odds to improve.

We can take advantage of those situations and pile up some more wins. 

As one of the "Tank" commanders, I am very mixed, in how these last 2 games have impacted my opinion. I commend @-DLC- for her undying support for the players, and I have totally enjoyed the last 2 games, as they have been much more complete games, with great goaltending. 

But, to win consistently, you need premium players, with no holes in the line up, and for me that is this and next year, away (Meaning we are winning too soon!) If Allvin can move things around, and fill in another defensive RHD, this summer, then great, we are early in filling the holes. 

I guess, I am in the camp of "what will be will be", but we are not doing our selves any favours, by winning late in the season, while not in a position to be a playoff team. It is counter productive.

What I am noticing is more system, and a more structured approach to the games. IMHO, it is that, that will long term, make us more successful. But to reach the top of the pile, we need more talent. We need that 2nd center, long term, and yes we only need a 3rd line center, now, but we have to give the Raty's, Karlsson's time to develop. Much  more important is the filling in of our RHD, which has been addressed, and which we have not even seen the player we traded for yet (Hronek), so it is hard to project that impact.

I am all for having players feel warm and fuzzy happy, but "Men" will be happy if the teams win. IT is not a short sighted, "OH! we win now, I am happy!" type of thing, only to loose again next season, when the games actually mean something. (That is what frustrates players and makes them unhappy!) Note........look at our early season expectations, and look at the players faces, after they realized, yet another losing season. That is the unhappiness, you seen on Hughes face, and heard in Pettersson's early season comments.

Look at the sudden change in attitude, once Tocchet and his assistants arrived. They liked the structure. But again, if we want to be the Leafs of the West, and be one and done, for 10 years, and the remainder of Hughes and Pettersson's careers here, we need to have more talent (Draft) and to fill in the holes.

IMO, the warm and fuzzy stuff happens after you are complete, and winning on a consistent basis.

@-DLC- I caution you on feeling to good, as Hughes could not survive a consistent 30 minutes a night type of playing rotation. It is another reason, we are winning, over playing Hughes to the extent of actually having 2 Hughes, playing 15 minutes a night. (He is basically hiding the hole in our Defense) His size and frame would not be able to take it long term. (No he is not a RHD, but if he has the puck that much, he is basically defending the hole on our RHD side)

In saying all that..............it is what it is. I have enjoyed the games!

• Cheers 2

47 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

It doesn't matter about the 1st round draft pick

They are going to trade it anyways,

Unless its a lottery pick

It's a Re-Tool not a Re-Build

No, they won’t be trading that pick 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

As one of the "Tank" commanders, I am very mixed, in how these last 2 games have impacted my opinion. I commend @-DLC- for her undying support for the players, and I have totally enjoyed the last 2 games, as they have been much more complete games, with great goaltending. 

But, to win consistently, you need premium players, with no holes in the line up, and for me that is this and next year, away (Meaning we are winning too soon!) If Allvin can move things around, and fill in another defensive RHD, this summer, then great, we are early in filling the holes. 

I guess, I am in the camp of "what will be will be", but we are not doing our selves any favours, by winning late in the season, while not in a position to be a playoff team. It is counter productive.

What I am noticing is more system, and a more structured approach to the games. IMHO, it is that, that will long term, make us more successful. But to reach the top of the pile, we need more talent. We need that 2nd center, long term, and yes we only need a 3rd line center, now, but we have to give the Raty's, Karlsson's time to develop. Much  more important is the filling in of our RHD, which has been addressed, and which we have not even seen the player we traded for yet (Hronek), so it is hard to project that impact.

I am all for having players feel warm and fuzzy happy, but "Men" will be happy if the teams win. IT is not a short sighted, "OH! we win now, I am happy!" type of thing, only to loose again next season, when the games actually mean something. (That is what frustrates players and makes them unhappy!) Note........look at our early season expectations, and look at the players faces, after they realized, yet another losing season. That is the unhappiness, you seen on Hughes face, and heard in Pettersson's early season comments.

Look at the sudden change in attitude, once Tocchet and his assistants arrived. They liked the structure. But again, if we want to be the Leafs of the West, and be one and done, for 10 years, and the remainder of Hughes and Pettersson's careers here, we need to have more talent (Draft) and to fill in the holes.

IMO, the warm and fuzzy stuff happens after you are complete, and winning on a consistent basis.

@-DLC- I caution you on feeling to good, as Hughes could not survive a consistent 30 minutes a night type of playing rotation. It is another reason, we are winning, over playing Hughes to the extent of actually having 2 Hughes, playing 15 minutes a night. (He is basically hiding the hole in our Defense) His size and frame would not be able to take it long term. (No he is not a RHD, but if he has the puck that much, he is basically defending the hole on our RHD side)

In saying all that..............it is what it is. I have enjoyed the games!

The draft is just part of 'the way' to build a winning team.

Even with 'perfect' drafting, development is probably more important.

Tocchet is coaching to improve the team, not kill the so-called tank.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

They could/would/should move it in a package with OEL at the draft

Cap $$$$

It's a Re-tool not a Re-build

I think that is a real possibility, if Canucks at least get some kind of prospect and/or pick back too.

But it means we gave up a top ten first, and second round pick to get OEL, and then gave up another top ten first a couple years later to get rid of him.

:picard:

I still don't understand what JB saw in OEL that he tripped over himself for two off seasons to try and get him here at any price. To the point he was so busy working on OEL's triumphant splash into Vancouver that he was ignoring Tanev's, Stecher's and Tofolli's agents calls.  I can only imagine Jimbo sitting back once the deal was done with a giant cheshire cat grin thinking he'd out-wit the Phoenix GM into giving up a prime #1 top D, for a mere 1st and 2nd,  and who only needed a change in scenery to shed 10 years, and re-emerge as a stud top 2....(at least that's what his agent kept telling him with a straight face). No need to actually look at his numbers declining every year.