The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Aidan McDonough to two year contract

Odd.

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So what’s his Canucks nickname gonna be?

At Northeastern he was “Dunzo,” which I kinda like. I’ve also called him “McD” for short. Any other suggestions?

Big Mac add's special sauce & some tasty side treats continuing the theme...

Get rid of tha third bun in the middle; it is what's hampering the skating speed pundits are saying is not up to NHL standard?  

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Citizen Erased said:

I think Bains should get a serious look next season. 

Over Hog, Karlsson or Pod? All guys the AHL coach has spoken highly on. 

I don't think next year maybe the year after. 

Karlsson, Pod and Hog have all been playing pro even before they hopped over to NA. Karlsson especially the AHL coach spoke highly about when it comes to the little things you need to do to win games whereas he said guys like Klimo, Hog and Pod to an extent need to work on it a bit more. 

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

He’s not really “free” since we drafted him. His ceiling is probably a 3rd. He is a big body winger though and has some scoring touch. Hopefully he can bring some energy and grit.

Oh I did not know we drafted him. I was under the impression he was a free agent and could sign with any team, and chose the Canucks. Clearly I don’t keep up with how this all works!

38 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

So.... Looks like AM will take #25??

Should Studnicka worry for his job?? 

McDonough was #25 in college so that makes sense since it is available.  Studnicka is #18, so not sure why he is relevant to any McDonough signing.  Studnicka should be worried about everyone as I don't think he has a good chance of sticking with the big club next year...

48 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

He’s not really “free” since we drafted him. His ceiling is probably a 3rd. He is a big body winger though and has some scoring touch. Hopefully he can bring some energy and grit.

He already brings grit. There's highlights of him leveling guys in College. 

Let's see how his game transitions. 

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Karlsson, Pod and Hog have all been playing pro even before they hopped over to NA. Karlsson especially the AHL coach spoke highly about when it comes to the little things you need to do to win games whereas he said guys like Klimo, Hog and Pod to an extent need to work on it a bit more. 

I didn’t necessarily mean over the players you mentioned, but he should be given a chance in training camp and the preseason to see if he is ready for the big club, because he is excelling at the AHL level. Maybe you’re right and he’s not quite ready, but I think he’s earned the opportunity.

Of course all the other players you mentioned deserve the same opportunity as well. I’m not trying to take anything away from them. It’s more that I’ve been very impressed with Bains. 

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Karlsson is not a very good skater.  He has a limited shot at making the big club.  Hoglander most likely gets traded for help on defence or to get some more sandpaper in the bottom 6.  Podkolzin will be a stud, top 6 potential.  The other guy I like is Klimovich.  Big body and a good skater.  He can be a 3rd line winger and has a shot at a top 6 role.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

McDonough was #25 in college so that makes sense since it is available.  Studnicka is #18, so not sure why he is relevant to any McDonough signing.  Studnicka should be worried about everyone as I don't think he has a good chance of sticking with the big club next year...

Stud has potential as an energy checker that can pop in a few goals but seems to me his development still hasn't gotten anywhere with more ice time with us. 

I meant to say McDonough could be stealing Stud's job if he can actually make him noticeable and not just hyped up NCAA prospect like Gaud. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So what’s his Canucks nickname gonna be?

At Northeastern he was “Dunzo,” which I kinda like. I’ve also called him “McD” for short. Any other suggestions?

"The best McD in the Pacific Division"

4 hours ago, Odd. said:

2 of Boeser/Garland/Beauvillier/ will be moved for sure. I do think the first two will be traded.

Next year:

Beauvillier/Pettersson/Kuzmenko

Hoglander/Miller/Mikheyev

McDonough/Karlsson/Podkolzin

Joshua/Aman/PDG

Kravtsov

I’m hoping Hoglander takes a step next year solidifies himself in a permanent top 6 role. 

We won’t make the playoffs next year, I hope we take the developmental approach and get the young guys a full seasons worth of NHL experience, and get guys like Podkolzin, Hoglander, Beauvillier, and Aman to take the next step. 

Great thing about this draft is that no matter where we select in the top 10, we’re going to get an elite player. Any one of Benson/Smith/Yager/Reinbacher/Dvorsky/Moore will be a great addition.

Karlsson's a winger. That's how he's been utilized. Don't be fooled by his stats pages.

Abbotsford had the Swedish House Mafia line of Hoglander-Aman-Karlsson who had chemistry together. I reckon that's a line we could see at the NHL level, especially considering all three of those guys are closer than the majority of our prospects.

McDonagh likely in the AHL next year.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Karlsson has been spoken highly about, more so than other prospects in the AHL. He gets by with his smarts and he is an average skater. He also PKs. Tocchet talked about having more guys in the bottom 6 playing more of that role.

He also plays with bite which the AHL Coach also mentioned about him when it came to him getting penalties. He isn't afraid to play between whistles. Also given how well he's continuously improved each year the past few years I find that most impressive. 

I think he probably has a good shot based off what the coaches have stated. 

Karlsson isn't a natural centre and we have plenty of right wingers.  So, unless we are trading some of our wingers I don't see him making the big club anytime soon.  I think Tocchet is looking for a Jeannot type to add to the 4th line.  Or else he would have just kept Lazar.  We need more bite on the 4th line.  Karlsson may play a heavier game than some but he is not going to cause great fear into the other teams players.

I would go hard after Trent Frederic from Boston.  He'd be perfect for that 4th line spot.  A Tanner Jeannot clone, but probably alot cheaper as he doesn't have the same goal scoring ability...

26 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I'd trust Bains in games way before Klimo right now. Podkolzin can play 4th line minutes with his style. I'm not convinced Hogs or Karlsson would succeed if they were called up for 4th line duties. I think Bains could play 4th line minutes in a pinch, he thinks the game well enough and works hard 

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Karlsson isn't a natural centre and we have plenty of right wingers.  So, unless we are trading some of our wingers I don't see him making the big club anytime soon.  I think Tocchet is looking for a Jeannot type to add to the 4th line.  Or else he would have just kept Lazar.  We need more bite on the 4th line.  Karlsson may play a heavier game than some but he is not going to cause great fear into the other teams players.

I would go hard after Trent Frederic from Boston.  He'd be perfect for that 4th line spot.  A Tanner Jeannot clone, but probably alot cheaper as he doesn't have the same goal scoring ability...

I think we're gonna be relying a lot from within. Especially considering it's gonna save us some cap and cost.

I fully expect us to be shipping wingers out the next couple seasons. Boeser, Garland, Beauv which will probably coincide with Hoglander and Pod leveling up in the lineup. Also AHL already had a line with chemistry with the Swedish House Mafia line with Hog-Aman-Karlsson.

Lazar and LK are not comparable IMO. 

LK can plays with bite, on PK and can 2nd PP. Exactly the thing Tocchet wants to see out of bottom 6. Tocchet also praised the AHL coaching for how well the call ups played and considering how Colliton spoke highly about Karlsson I think it makes sense he's a guy they could put in. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I'd trust Bains in games way before Klimo right now. Podkolzin can play 4th line minutes with his style. I'm not convinced Hogs or Karlsson would succeed if they were called up for 4th line duties. I think Bains could play 4th line minutes in a pinch, he thinks the game well enough and works hard 

I think Klimo is behind Bains and all the aforementioned. He and Raty are probably not ready till 2024-25 at least. 

Next year I don't see it over Hoglander or Karlsson personally. I see Bains behind them and as one of the main guys in Abbotsford and one of the 1st call ups next year. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Big Mac add's special sauce & some tasty side treats continuing the theme...

Get rid of tha third bun in the middle; it is what's hampering the skating speed pundits are saying is not up to NHL standard?  

Well if he shies away from a hit, we can call him Chicken Big Mac.

mcdonalds-chicken-big-mac-6:product-header-desktop?wid=829&hei=455&dpr=off

• Cheers 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

56 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Karlsson's a winger. That's how he's been utilized. Don't be fooled by his stats pages.

Abbotsford had the Swedish House Mafia line of Hoglander-Aman-Karlsson who had chemistry together. I reckon that's a line we could see at the NHL level, especially considering all three of those guys are closer than the majority of our prospects.

McDonagh likely in the AHL next year.

If he signs an ELC and his age, won’t he be eligible for waivers?

https://theathletic.com/4290605/2023/03/11/canucks-aidan-mcdonough-ncaa-free-agents/

Still, three weeks ago, Canucks hockey operations redoubled their efforts to land McDonough. While the Northeastern captain remained focused on the conclusion of his season — which could end as soon as this weekend, depending on Northeastern’s results in the Big East Conference playoffs — Canucks assistant general manager Émilie Castonguay had daily contact with McDonough’s camp.

Sources close to the negotiation insist that the club didn’t put any pressure on McDonough to make a decision prior to the NHL trade deadline, but the club knew before March 3 that McDonough was effectively in hand. The club wasn’t concerned with managing their Aug. 15 risk at the deadline — in the manner that the Anaheim Ducks did with Henry Thrun, or the Buffalo Sabres did with Erik Portillo — because there was none.

The contract isn’t done, of course, and won’t be until after the conclusion of McDonough’s college season. It’s trending in a favourable direction for the Canucks and an agreement is only a matter of time and logistics at this point.

From what we’re hearing, our expectation is that McDonough will burn the first year of his deal and join Vancouver’s NHL team — rather than beginning his professional career in Abbotsford.

Players in McDonough’s situation are only eligible to do one or the other of the American League or the NHL at this stage of the hockey season. The choices are to either burn a year of their entry-level deal and play NHL games (while making an NHL-level salary for a few weeks) or have the contract toll a year while signing a professional tryout contract that permits that player to play in the American League.

Beyond this season, McDonough is likely going to need American League seasoning. It’s a sign of his unique leverage that any American League stint isn’t going to begin until next fall.

While the deal will be papered and negotiated in the days or weeks ahead, sources close to the negotiation also expect that McDonough’s bonus structure on his entry-level contract will be very generous.

The way this agreement is trending hints at McDonough’s leverage, and the risk Vancouver courted when he returned for his senior season. The club is rolling out the red carpet, effectively, and using every lever that a team has at their disposal to land a college senior.

This weekend, or next week, or whenever Northeastern’s season ends, however, the Canucks will have landed their man.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3