Harder games:

Dal: x1

STL: x1

Cal: x2

Hardest:

Vegas: x1

Seattle: x1

LAK x 3

I would suggest anywhere from  a .500 record to finish the year to possibly 7-9? 6-9?

Dallas probably wishes they didn't have to play the Canucks again this year. They've looked pretty ordinary in games this season.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

The opportunity of payoff is so low, but wins make us happy.

Just forget the tanking and enjoy the games.

This is the thing.

intellectually we know....it doesn't make any difference to the outcome score because of how hard we cheer for either a win, or a loss, during a game.

But also intellectually we know.....big picture, that every win takes us further and further away from any shot at Bedard, or top 5 even.

Its a battle in our brains. And its not that fun.

But if we are sticking to the intellectual path, doesn't it make logical sense to have fun cheering for wins, or more specifically say, a 2 on 1 rush up the ice with Kuzmenko and excited and hoping he scores, than being miserable watching him score?  If your cheering at the TV, or not,  doesn't make a difference anyways to where the team is standing at the end of the season?  I know its tough. I've been grappling with this conundrum. But once you understand...intellectually... that its out of your hands as a fan, you  might as well enjoy watching the team improve and win.....even if its at the absolute wrong time as far as the draft.  And you can still wallow in depression at the end of the season about your draft position if you want to do that.

I get that its difficult to purposely be schizophrenic in how you watch the team. I still am struggling with it.

Maybe its easier as a long a fan to achieve this altered state. You learn to cheer when you can with this team.  From now on I'm going to cheer for the win extra hard in the GDT! Its more fun, and it don't make no difference no how.

4 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Most underated and over-hated Canuck in a long time, feel for the poor guy but he has been a pass master this season. Not just ordinary assists, he's made some great no look passes these last couple of games. His sick wrister is gone but he's been such a good playmaker for us this year and to be honest, with so many "snipers" on our team now, I don't mind that.

His cap hit still haunts him but he's our top scoring RW, 2nd best winger and is scoring at a 63 point pace which would be a career high.

I've wanted him traded because we might have been able to get a 3C or top 4 defenceman out of him but he's still young and according to his point totals, still improving so would be happy to keep him along for the ride - but then we simply have to shift Garland.

Im not sold on an OEL but out yet.  Obviously him and Myers under Boudreau’s new system play this year (they more or less stuck with Travis Green’s style of defending when BB took over) was really bad.  The man to man // coverage system was not very conducive to him.  Now that the team is starting to settle down and play as a cohesive unit, I do wonder if he can bounce back and be a reasonably good defender.

I do think OEL cares a-lot and if Im right will try to have the best summer he can.  2-3 more years before a buyout or whatever is what they need.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

“You people” lol. 

Last time I checked “some people”decided that saying “ you people” is grounds for dismissal. Hope Don’s doing ok. 

Better not let HR see it. 

Edited by Barnstorm
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Im not sold on an OEL but out yet.  Obviously him and Myers under Boudreau’s new system play this year (they more or less stuck with Travis Green’s style of defending when BB took over) was really bad.  The man to man // coverage system was not very conducive to him.  Now that the team is starting to settle down and play as a cohesive unit, I do wonder if he can bounce back and be a reasonably good defender.

I do think OEL cares a-lot and if Im right will try to have the best summer he can.  2-3 more years before a buyout or whatever is what they need.

We will be more competitive next year, but will make a big push two years from now.  After next season we have Myers and Pearson expiring, and will have a pretty clear idea of the Poolman situation.  We will have a fair amount of $ to spend (no not all of it goes to EP and FH).  I'd give OEL a chance to show he can play in Tocchets system, much like the gaggle of AHL D who are performing well.  I'd rather try to deal him with 50% retention than buy him out.  That costs 14 mil and ends in 4 years, as opposed to a buyout costing the 16.6 mil over 6, but with the high # being 4.5 mil for two of the years.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

I think you have got it backwards about which fans have lost their self respect.

Its not the ones who have faced reality that fans actually do not have any special powers or influence on if the team continues to win games or not.  Do you mean "complacent" that we don't organize protest marches or "Stop Winning!" plane banners venting about it? Is that what you mean by fan self respect?  Because I think that sounds like a pretty pathetic fan.

Or the ones who understand that a rebuild, most useful if it was done a number of years ago, is in the rear view mirror now, and enough moves have been made, enough cap money allotted to future contracts, that its clear if we are going anywhere now, its with a retool and building off of the core we have now. And even if these fans believe deep down a full rebuild is the more traditionally successful way, realize its either cheer for the best outcome for the current plan, or get off the pot. Or you'll just make yourself miserable.

Or the ones who can see a huge difference in the team's management team from the last one, and understand how vital a competent, experienced, president and GM is to a hockey organization. and can recognize that looking through the lens of management's plan for the team, they have been fairly successful in who they have brought in. And based on their performance so far will give them a reasonable amount of rope before hanging them.  Most new GMs get anywhere from 3 to 5 years before the knives come out. (some even get 8)

I'm still not sure what yourself and a couple other militant tankers want from other fans that gets  you so upset.  What can we do to not be "complacent"?  Maybe CDC should ban the rest of the GDTs?  So any win in future can't be cheered on in real time. Otherwise it may get back to the players somehow that the fans  are  behind them. And it will only make them continue to play hard and score goals and ruin it all!  Or what? Tell us, what do we have to do to not be "idiots"?

signed,

a very concerned fan

Seriously, Kilgore, thank you for this. A breath of fresh air. 

I just want to add this ... Stars owner Tom Gagliardi and his thoughts on drafting and the perception of rebuilding ... yesterday on D&D. Really good perspective. 

Starts around 09:25 mark of the clip ...

• Thanks 3
  • Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

I think waiting one more year to buy out OEL would be good.   If we honestly think we will not be contenders next April either. If you compare the numbers between a buyout this summer, and a buy out next summer. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/oliver-ekman-larsson

We can still save 7 million of cap if we wait a year than if we bought him out this summer.

I just can't see us hanging on to him longer than that if he continues to decline. But if we can bring in Hronek, and one more better D, we can regulate OEL to 5/6 position. With less minutes, I think he'll be fine for another season. Depends if we buy out Myers or not this summer.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Matthews draft year, Canucks had no business beating those California teams but they did and, had they lost, could have landed Matthews.

That draft year of Zegras, Canucks had a pretty good record starting the last half of March 

Operating word in all this is “could have”. Thank you for pointing out that no matter where you finish, 32nd or 21st, its merely a chance. Just look at how many times during those abysmal years we dropped in the draft and teams like NJ or Detroit jumped huge. CV

Lol you expect teams out of the playoffs to lose every single game? Puck luck, opposing team plays horribly, injuries, etc. Both years Im certain Canucks were below .500 hockey post all-star. 

16 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I think waiting one more year to buy out OEL would be good.   If we honestly think we will not be contenders next April either. If you compare the numbers between a buyout this summer, and a buy out next summer. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/oliver-ekman-larsson

We can still save 7 million of cap if we wait a year than if we bought him out this summer.

I just can't see us hanging on to him longer than that if he continues to decline. But if we can bring in Hronek, and one more better D, we can regulate OEL to 5/6 position. With less minutes, I think he'll be fine for another season. Depends if we buy out Myers or not this summer.

Why would we buyout Myers? After his bonus is paid in July he will have trade value. We could dumperoo his full cap. 

• Vintage 2