The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Arizona Coyotes | Mar. 16, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

What’s the trade cost for a guy like him? Trade down (from our first) at the draft to get a late first and a second and then flip the second for Kuraly? Would that be enough?

He’s 29. I think he might be their 4C right now. He also plays the wing. Don’t think it will cost that much. I heard they may want to move him. I would say a later round pick and a prospect.

I could see the Canucks moving Rathbone or Höglander for a 3C. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I don't think we have much choice in having to trade Myers unless we can clear cap another way.  Big RD's with Cap for one year but low real dollars do have some value.  We may get a pick out of it too without having to retain (but could if its minimal).  What I don't want is to sign an aging FA RD for term and $$.  The way I see it, we will be looking a 3 from the crop of Schenn, Bear, Livingston, Burroughs, Juulsen at least for next year.  

On the left side, we have Quinn.  I think Wolanin has earned a spot on the 3rd pair.  OEL will be difficult to Buy out (only used as a last resort) so mgmt will probably want to see if we can get him back to a serviceable D.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Here's a list of all right-handed defensemen that will be free agents this summer (it also includes RFAs in there):  

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2024/caphit/all/defense/all/desc/right?stats-season=2023

Scott Mayfield 

Travis Hamonic 

Damon Severson 

Matt Dumba 

Kevin Shattenkirk 

John Klingberg 

Connor Clifton 

Radko Gudas 

After that you're looking at the Troy Stechers and Ethan Bears of the world.  There's going to be pretty damn close to 32 teams looking for an upgrade on their RD.  After these main 7 or 8 get scooped up, there won't be any quality left to eat up minutes.  

Further shows how important the Hronek pickup was. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Raty is way better defensively than Karlsson. But management might prefer Raty works on his offensive game in the minors for another year. I think we bring in a 3C from the free agent market. It will be an older guy too. Like what Beagle was. But this management will only go a two year deal at most. 

Brandon Sutter’s looking to make a comeback…

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 2

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

You think we just might keep Myers until the 2024 TDL? 

Could it open a further roster spot next fall? Waive him down to farm & set a roster with 8 other options(perhaps Schenn in the mix). We'd be pleased if someone claims the dud, but likely he'd wait in Abby for our usual run of injuries.

In-season with some retention(if necc) should be easy enough to flog. It's lame, but not as ****ing dreadful as the LouiE situation.

22 minutes ago, Neutral said:

Coyotes play a decent game have to give them credit for last night.

maybe Studnicka 

Exactly what does he bring, though? As lacking as the Canucks are in RH’s, he’s got size, but not physicality. He can play the C, but, is he really a playmaker? He’s certainly not a scorer, either. Where does he slot-in with this group going forward? 

2 hours ago, coho8888 said:

I don't think we have much choice in having to trade Myers unless we can clear cap another way.  Big RD's with Cap for one year but low real dollars do have some value.  We may get a pick out of it too without having to retain (but could if its minimal).  What I don't want is to sign an aging FA RD for term and $$.  The way I see it, we will be looking a 3 from the crop of Schenn, Bear, Livingston, Burroughs, Juulsen at least for next year.  

On the left side, we have Quinn.  I think Wolanin has earned a spot on the 3rd pair.  OEL will be difficult to Buy out (only used as a last resort) so mgmt will probably want to see if we can get him back to a serviceable D.

Would YOU trade for Tyler Myers if you were an NHL GM? He’s got to be a buyout candidate. It’s the only way, other than packaging him with the plethora of LH’s this team has and can afford to part with. This team does not currently have a legitimate RHD to pair with Hughes. Specifically, not one who wouldn’t be a head-scratcher or question mark on the top pairing from the right side. That has to be addressed this summer. The rest of the group is really missing only 1 piece in the form of an Edler/Öhlund-type for Hronek. 
There’s no shortage of in-house LHD candidates for the 3rd pairing with Bear, and I think it’s a deeper corp/core with him on the 3rd rather than 2nd line. 

19 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

Exactly what does he bring, though? As lacking as the Canucks are in RH’s, he’s got size, but not physicality. He can play the C, but, is he really a playmaker? He’s certainly not a scorer, either. Where does he slot-in with this group going forward? 

I agree, he is hitting waivers next fall if they don't try to trade him in the off season

38 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

Would YOU trade for Tyler Myers if you were an NHL GM? He’s got to be a buyout candidate. It’s the only way, other than packaging him with the plethora of LH’s this team has and can afford to part with. This team does not currently have a legitimate RHD to pair with Hughes. Specifically, not one who wouldn’t be a head-scratcher or question mark on the top pairing from the right side. That has to be addressed this summer. The rest of the group is really missing only 1 piece in the form of an Edler/Öhlund-type for Hronek. 
There’s no shortage of in-house LHD candidates for the 3rd pairing with Bear, and I think it’s a deeper corp/core with him on the 3rd rather than 2nd line. 

Myers with 50% retention at the deadline will net more than a 2nd round pick.

I bet my life on it. 

6/7 RHD at 3mil pro-rated. Any contender would pony up for that in a heartbeat.