The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Arizona Coyotes | Mar. 16, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If Beau continues to play well I think we will offer him a new contract. Not too sure how much we would be willing to pay him though. He’s definitely a supporting piece. Maybe 4.5 x 4 years? 

I bet we re sign him this offseason.  I'd try to keep him on a shorter 2 year deal at a similar AAV to what he has now.  He gets an opportunity to build some big value playing with EP and AK for 3 more years and hits UFA at 28 in time to cash in.  I'd be wary of signing him longer term, or at a higher salary, as I think he is an outstanding fit more than outstanding player.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I bet we re sign him this offseason.  I'd try to keep him on a shorter 2 year deal at a similar AAV to what he has now.  He gets an opportunity to build some big value playing with EP and AK for 3 more years and hits UFA at 28 in time to cash in.  I'd be wary of signing him longer term, or at a higher salary, as I think he is an outstanding fit more than outstanding player.

That’s very smart. Maybe Beau at 4.5x2?

We could trade Garland and clear 5. Allocate that to Beau.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I think Beau may prefer a shorter 2 year term knowing that we can't afford to pay him the big bucks now.  Gives him time to really pad his stats with Petey for the big pay day come his next contract.

assuming he doesnt get traded.

11 minutes ago, Plaguez said:

This is the result we need.  Nothing good comes from winning now. Lose, lose, lose so next year we have a great prospect and a team tired of losing.

If we finish 7th from the bottom, I will be happy. We should completely forget about the bottom 5 teams IMO. 

Good tank game last night. Wouldn't mind seeing our key players being given days off on a rotating basis. 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think that is best case for us.  If that doesn't work for him, he would return a very solid package at the TDL if he keeps this production up.  As solid as our first line has been, I think they have another gear to go.  If he is sitting on a 20/40/60 pace, He would return a 1st if we retained.

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

If we finish 7th from the bottom, I will be happy. We should completely forget about the bottom 5 teams IMO. 

Good tank game last night. Wouldn't mind seeing our key players being given days off on a rotating basis. 

None of the bottom 4 are going to catch us, CHI and ANA are 9 back and SJ/CBC are worse.  Can't see that happening.  We are most likely going to end in the next group of 5 somewhere with STL (15 games left 63 points), AZ (13/63), MTL (13/60), PHI (15/59).  Detroit is 6 points up, we have a better chance of picking 5th than 10th.  Lottery odds don;t change a whole lot in that 5-9 range.

We are going to get a fantastic prospect at 5 or 9, while building a stronger team culture and seeing our best players get better.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BCNate said:

None of the bottom 4 are going to catch us, CHI and ANA are 9 back and SJ/CBC are worse.  Can't see that happening.  We are most likely going to end in the next group of 5 somewhere with STL (15 games left 63 points), AZ (13/63), MTL (13/60), PHI (15/59).  Detroit is 6 points up, we have a better chance of picking 5th than 10th.  Lottery odds don;t change a whole lot in that 5-9 range.

We are going to get a fantastic prospect at 5 or 9, while building a stronger team culture and seeing our best players get better.  

Cheers to that! 

I'll have a Guinness in a few hours for the cause ;)

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

a 4pt tank. 

7 of our last 15 are head to head against SJ, CHIx2, ANA x2, AZ, STL.  I think our record is going tobe pretty good down the stretch, but a few losses to AZ and STL would be huge for us

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I don’t buy into this idea that he is moveable after bonus paid. 
‘There aren’t that many teams trying to just hit the minimum salary and he can easily block those team. 
‘Contending teams have pro scouts and what they want is stability on their back end. He will still have a cap hit of 6M (3M 50%) but provides the opposite of stability on the back end, that is not a fit for good teams. Only chance are teams like Winnipeg that have trouble attracting FAs and they have been there and happily out of that. 

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

Sure.  Of those 22 teams remaining, which one wants that cap hit?   Doubt ARI isn't on his list.   And doubt CHI is too.    I'd be pretty surprised not to see Myers on our opening night roster.   He's taken on the role of Edler for club whipping boy, and deservedly so.   When he does something cool (Tavares/Keith - or stops a sure goal with his body/skate/stick - then it's not so bad is it)  ... Choas Giraffe is hilariously accurate.     Only way I see Myers going is next TDL with retention.   And good chance that means no playoffs.    Hope i'm wrong.  And we can upgrade in the off-season or the draft. 

The only reason for optimism is RHD are difficult to find. All it takes is 1 or 2 teams liking him for a deal to happen, no one thought Hamonic would go for a premium for example.

Maybe they have to retain some $$$ but I think that's fine. Otherwise worst case he comes back playing behind Hronek & Bear, then move him at the TDL. But hopefully not.

2 minutes ago, BCNate said:

7 of our last 15 are head to head against SJ, CHIx2, ANA x2, AZ, STL.  I think our record is going tobe pretty good down the stretch, but a few losses to AZ and STL would be huge for us

basically a battle of the tanks. 

BattleCity_GameOver_1.gif

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The only reason for optimism is RHD are difficult to find. All it takes is 1 or 2 teams liking him for a deal to happen, no one thought Hamonic would go for a premium for example.

Maybe they have to retain some $$$ but I think that's fine. Otherwise worst case he comes back playing behind Hronek & Bear, then move him at the TDL. But hopefully not.

RHD are difficult to find.  

RHD averaging over 21 minutes/night are even harder to find.  

GMs like size, and Myers is huge.  

It's not that difficult to envision a team trading for him.  Owner will sign off on the trade because of the low dollars.  It's not just Arizona that's a possible destination. 

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If we can't make the playoffs, why is it a sin to hope for a better draft position? As long as players improve, and work better. That will just make next year good.

This year is a write off. Players won't lose on purpose. But even Boston has lost 11 games and 5 games in OT. We're never going to go 82-0. We're never going to go 0-82 either.

4 points separate 24 to 28. We may not get Bedard, but the team will most likely get a player that is going to help the club.

the same reason it's a sin to hope the team loses one in boston so they can win the cup on home ice. 

hoping for losses is for losers, regardless of circumstance. 

it is, however, perfectly reasonable to view an improved draft position as a silver lining, secondary to the main goal (winning hockey games).

edit: hoping for losses while also hoping the players improve and play better as a team is also kind of absurd. the one kind of eliminates the other. 

Edited by tas

Yesterday was perfect. 

Cheered for the team to make a comeback but not broken up at all that they couldn't. 

Hockey is not frustrating to watch anymore

But holy cap was Myers bad. 

Most of the team was... 

Was Petey benched for a little bit? 

Boeser whiffing multiple times in the slot... 

Maybe they went out in Old Town Scottsdale the night before? 

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Cheers 1

The progression of change is never a straight, upward line.  The old saying is '3 steps forward, 2 steps back,'

is the usual process.  We can expect many puzzling, even mortifying loses during the remainder of games

and well into the next season until the players become the natural habits.  It will be sink or swim; embrace the

change or be trade (or let go).

• Like 1

Here's a list of all right-handed defensemen that will be free agents this summer (it also includes RFAs in there):  

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2024/caphit/all/defense/all/desc/right?stats-season=2023

Scott Mayfield 

Travis Hamonic 

Damon Severson 

Matt Dumba 

Kevin Shattenkirk 

John Klingberg 

Connor Clifton 

Radko Gudas 

After that you're looking at the Troy Stechers and Ethan Bears of the world.  There's going to be pretty damn close to 32 teams looking for an upgrade on their RD.  After these main 7 or 8 get scooped up, there won't be any quality left to eat up minutes.