The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Chicago Blackhawks | Mar. 26, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

33 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Bubble boy as you like to call him is still the biggest reason we’re winning.

Relying too much on a goalie and you end up like the Jets.

Most teams do rely pretty heavily on goaltending. It's a thing.

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

15 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

A lot of effort with the Caplock key to say absolutely nothing.

nOt tHaT HaRd, YoU CaN EaSiLy wRiTe a pYtHoN ScRiPt iN A CoUpLe oF MiNuTeS FoR AlTeRnAtInG CaSe oR JuSt gOoGlE A WeBsItE ThAt cAn dO ThE SaMe. ;)

• Like 1

Some team stats since Demko returned on February 27, just for the sake of curiosity:

Shots allowed/60: 28.2 (9th best)

Scoring chances against/60: 27.92 (10th best)

High-danger chances against/60: 11 (6th best)

Expected goals against/60: 2.79 (7th best)

Save percentage: 92.25 (4th best)

So while they've definitely benefitted from better goaltending, they've also been a top 10 team in the league in terms of shots, scoring chances, and expected goals allowed over the last month (at least according to Natural Stat Trick). Strength of schedule aside, they're playing better defense and that's definitely a positive sign.

The question now is whether they can carry this form over to next season.

Edited by Brad Marchand
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Lose Willy Wonka GIF

Canucks as they rise to the middle of the pack.

Looks more like we are rising to the top. Accept the fact we have a great young core and management is building a strong supporting cast. We will be very good for a very long stretch of seasons. 
Them is the facts. 

36 minutes ago, cocanuck said:

Solid game tonight against another team that has played well as of late.  Im so impressed with not only the job tochett is doing but ,,, starting the kid at center for opening face off with miller petterson and hughes out there with him is the kind of decision that shows he gets it!  It was an incredible moment for his entire family,, how can you not love the move by tochett!  Full marks,, you gained a ton of fans for that decision!  

I love this sort of thing.  Very team bonding and creates a loyalty.  The message is loud and clear.

I also like that they (finally) brought up Rathbone (McD's BFF since grade 1) as well.  These little things are what.

young players remember and appreciate

55 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

That's your take. Only.

And that crap about "teams trying to lose or with their foot off the gas". That's also your take.

It's a dangerous game and teams know that. Start to float/coast and those habits can set in pretty quickly. Losers tank but that's not always a winning strategy...that stuff sticks.

We're not as far off as you think. Tocchet's a big driver in that...these guys have to work hard and that pays off. 

I agree. We are not that far off from being a playoff team. 

But at the same time, I agree with @DeNiro and see his views.

For one, if we go into the next season with this exact same roster, De Niro will be 100% right. The next season will be the same story as this season. Namely, Demko will be overworking so will Miller, Petey, and Hughes. They will get tired and make mistakes. Miller will yet again stop backchecking and give up on plays from all the fatigue. And then the media and the fans will be blaming Miller, Tocchet for overworking the players, the management for not trading Miller in the offseason, and of course Aquillini for everything that's ever wrong with the Canucks.

And the teams that we are beating now are not the teams we will be seeing next season -- all of the teams will upgrade their roster and come out strong at the beginning of the season with fresh faces.

There's no way we will have any success walking into the next season with the exact same roster. Moves are needed and depending on the types of upgrades that are made, we will be a much better team and one that can contend for the playoffs under Tocchet.

It won't be an easy task though to upgrade the roster efficiently. We are pressed against the cap. In the worst case that we walk into next season with only minor tinkering, I'm not believing that the current performance we are seeing will be replicated next season.

And then there are questions as to whether what we have now is enough to compete for the cup or just the playoffs. I think since we've committed to making the playoffs next season, I hope we do make it, and getting back there alone will be quite a bit of an achievement. Sort of like how in 2001, just making the playoffs after years of missing out and dark Keenan years was a huge achievement (at least it felt like a huge achievement to me at that time -- I don't know how others felt). Although we got swept by the eventual champs, it was a thoroughly entertaining series.

But this fanbase has already experienced sustained regular season successes during the Sedin era as well as bitter SCF losses. Just making the playoffs is not enough -- we want a team that can win the cup. Thinking back to the Sedin-era Canucks, I think we all know how hard it is to win the cup. That team featured 3 hall-of-fame players but still didn't have much playoff success outside of the 2011 cup run. 

My opinion at this point is that the current core may make a WCF appearance if the stars get hot, particularly Demko. But is unlikely to deliver the cup. Major upgrades are needed but our cap structure and the market landscape make it difficult to expect that major upgrades will be possible.

I'm hoping that Allvin will pull off some miracle and surprise all of us. I don't think this fanbase can take another season like this one or the previous one...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

Things are shaping up that the wet blankets will be wrong more often than not. Our core is entering their prime, we're good young adding players, we're drafting a good 1st this year ...

You guys had a good negative run for a long time. Be happy about that. ;)

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Like 1
  • There it is 1