The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Chicago Blackhawks | Mar. 26, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I honestly don't know why Hughes / Burroughs has not been used more often. BB started using this pairing more often.  Burroughs is in the Schenn mold.  And like Burrows with the twins, sometimes certain pairings just work, as they compliment each other. Kyle is not quite as tough, but still one of the toughest on the team, but is younger, and a better skater, than Schenn.  Defensive minded first and doesn't panic with the puck.  I'll say it again, Kyle is the closest to a Tanev we've had since he left. Who was also underrated early on because of his low offensive numbers. And everyone was also missing Tanev + Hughes.   I'd be very curious to see how they'd do together for a sustained try.  Not for the PP obviously. But think about if it worked 5 x 5, you'd be able to dole out the cap hit to other Ds, or even other Fs.

Definitely couldn't hurt to try for a few games...

Need to find a few support players that can keep the cap costs down...

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Hulk is great and all.   But let's get real.   His pants would be off completely.   Know how it works even after a heavy meal... He'd be doing this old Roman style "Mano da Mano" junk out.   Also feel bad for that dude ducking back into the tank.   How would he ever survive that sort or wheel go around abuse and throw out a the end when Hulk let go? 

Who gives a shit about Hulk?!

How about the tank?!

image.jpeg.710801cb29b583bc9f5a52e1ef096bd0.jpeg

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

My kids liked that show.  I watched the original Lou Forrigno stuff.   And was like how did his pants stay on!    At some point someone should let Marvel know it's not realistic.  

Edit:  Plus people want to know.  How would his junk do against a tank shell or a heavy machine gun! 

The real question is; why is he called Bruce Banner, when his name is actually David. 

It’s David Bruce Banner. 

He’s a Dave! 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Baratheon said:

Good old polarized CDC!!  It is a good thing that the team is coming together folks.  They have made some shorter term moves and therefore we need next year to go well.  Gelling under RT is an important step. 

You absolutely ARE allowed to feel disappointed that our draft position is being torpedoed however.  While it's great that the team is playing well, it is not great that it's resulting in points.

I'm not buying that Petey is some fragile little baby.  He's not going to have his career derailed just because we didn't squeak out a few meaningless games.  

So how do you suggest, we tank with Petey, Miller, Kuz, QH, Hronek and Demko?

Do we stop playing them, do we send them out to get pissed before the games or what. 
I don't know anybody, who wouldn't want a top 4 pick or top 6 or whatever this year, but reality is, we have the corner stones of a team. They are now seeing what they can do, and which support players, they would need to push on, before Petey needs to be paid... and Kuz, Hronek and Demko to name a few. 

Is it a gamble? Yes

is it the right thing to do? Who knows

But its definitely, what Petey would want, and likely the rest as well...

Bo had a lot of patience, now he is an Isle player... are we going to waste another 3 years of Petey, without seeing if he can lead this team? In 2 years we'll have a pretty decent picture, and if they still suck, blow it up. But we can't expect players not playing to win, to break record and be the best they can. 
losing suck, and since only 1 team can win the cup each year, a lot of players never gets to win it, let alone the chance to play for the cup... 

Great players can't / won't hang around hoping for things to become so good they are guarenteed to win... its too unpredictable for that...

So while we all hope and dream of a Bedard or Fantilli etc., the players we have atm are just too good to sink that deep...

I was also looking forward to an interesting draft, but I think the kind of run they are on now are meaningful for the team, and I do believe/hope the improved D play under RT will continue next season, cause then I can easily see us have a good season. 

PS. Long story and not particularly aimed at you. 

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

42 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

The real question is; why is he called Bruce Banner, when his name is actually David. 

It’s David Bruce Banner. 

He’s a Dave! 

It's funny. The producer of the series was talking to CBS. Even though Bruce Banner is the comic book name. They had an issue with having the character name as Bruce.

So they changed it to David Bruce Banner which seemed to satisfy the big wigs. The Incredible Hulk (1978 TV series) - Wikipedia

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It's funny. The producer of the series was talking to CBS. Even though Bruce Banner is the comic book name. They had an issue with having the character name as Bruce.

So they changed it to David Bruce Banner which seemed to satisfy the big wigs. The Incredible Hulk (1978 TV series) - Wikipedia

Dave was even worse. 

But, it’s Dave now. :lol:

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Let's just hope we are .500 by Christmas.   Then go on our "usual" winning streak late in the season lol. 

It would be the absolute most Canuck thing to happen where we come out the gates winning and then we lose the last 2 or so months of the season and just miss the playoffs. 

I think that outcome would be more infuriating than winning meaningless games. All

that pressure to make the playoffs and then they just come out flat in games that matter towards the end.. basically a full 180.

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Are you implying that Burroughs is a top 2 RHD? 

Yeah no. 

No.  but the point was that you don't necessarily need a top pairing partner to play with Huggy.  Hughes will have possession of the puck most of the time anyways so a top 4 D man would be wasted if paired up with him.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, mordekai said:

Chatgdp gave me a different record result 

You are right. Those stats are wrong. That will teach me not to trust our new AI overlords! 

Thankfully, my point still stands! Yay me! I manually tallied the wins using hockey-reference.com for the last 5 seasons. Wins in last 20 games:

2017/2018 - 7

2018/2019 - 9

2019/2020 - 9

2020/2021 - 7

2021/2022 - 10

They have not gone on any sort of sustained run at the end of any of the past 5 seasons, so this is not something the Canucks have a habit of doing. 

Edited by Strawbone
  • Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

12 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Man, I feel kinda bad for whoever we do draft. There are gonna be so many people slaggin' him just because he isn't a top 8 pick.

That is it.We could get a steal in the draft.But we should get a decent player with lots of upside.

30 minutes ago, Knucklehd said:

Anyone here think Juulsen could be a good fit for Hughes long term. As has been already said, not sure we need an A lister to play with him, just someone strong defensively, good skater and strong passer.

Quinn doesn’t need a stud to play with him. He’s a boss. I don’t know if Juulsen is the answer but that would be a hell of a win if he was a long term fit. 

• Cheers 3