The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] defence retooled internally?

2 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Yeah, you're probably right. But if Hughes likes playing with him, and we're buying a couple years of his UFA, might be a nice show of confidence to pay him $1M+.  

With cap space as tight as it is, no one is going to just throw an extra 250k per season at someone.

He has to earn it and drive market demand. 

18 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

With cap space as tight as it is, no one is going to just throw an extra 250k per season at someone.

He has to earn it and drive market demand. 

If he proves he can be a steady partner for Hughes, than he’s earned a raise IMO. Especially if we’re locking him up for a couple UFA years. 

Anyways, his contract isn’t the point of the thread. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Re-signing Burroughs and signing Schenn in the off-season would provide more toughness that Stanley brings. He's kind of a Myers-lite type of player. 

I don’t see both of them signing. Do you envision Schenn back with Hughes? Schenn was playing too much before, maybe Hronek takes some minutes? If they did both sign, would Burrows be an extra and Johansson on the 3rd pairing. How do you envision the lineup next year?

2 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

That's a great solution that keeps OEL on the second pair while adding a big shutdown D on the bottom pair. I also like Kevin Bahl from NJD (pending RFA).

Couldn’t think of other options other than Stanley lol. Bahl would be nice as well. Probably would prefer him. 

• Cheers 1

I think the Canucks have some decent D depth, just not the quality of D they need. 

Is it possible to find another RD in a trade? Maybe once Myers' bonus is paid (I think he's cheap next season), might be enticing to some team. Canucks might have to add a sweetener, maybe not.

I looked at the RD UFAs after this season and there isn't much under 30 years, a stay at home D able to play in the Top 4. Severson? (even though he also provides offense), but he'd be a bit expensive. I'm all for taking one of Lou Lam's players, even though he's 30.

Gavrikov and Graves are LD UFAs. Maybe they get one of them too.

Hughes - Mayfield

Gavrikov - Hronek

OEL - Bear

Wolanin/Rathbone - Burroughs/Juulsen

What to do about OEL, though

3 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Hughes has definitely shown he can be successful with almost any partner.  Would love to get a steady one for him for at least a couple of years.  

However that all changes if and when we make the post season anytime soon, that changes because Hughes will FOR SURE be painted with a huge target on his jersey so if we don't protect him, he'll either be injured or his effectiveness will certainly diminish. 

Fact is we need a bigger, faster, more skilled Schenn type but we never seem to get that on D where we could use it the most and add to that the ability to help keep Demko's crease clear and Hughes isn't capable of that so his partner needs to be.

• Cheers 2

Where is this love for Johansson coming from - has he been that good?  21 points in Sweden doesn't scream "NHL regular", does it?  

At this rate, IDK if he'd be the favored candidate for the 3rd pair spot ahead of even a Burroughs or Livingstone (if we get him).

Also, I wonder if selling Kravtsov would let us get out from under the Myers contract early due to his draft pedigree.  Would be open to moving him or Rathbone due to Wolanin's emergence as a 3rd pair LHD.  If either case, if that works it could be a heist in that we'd probably be able to bring in a competent RHD or re-sign Bear (or both).

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

If he proves he can be a steady partner for Hughes, than he’s earned a raise IMO. Especially if we’re locking him up for a couple UFA years. 

Anyways, his contract isn’t the point of the thread. 

The point of the thread is to retool from within.

We are probably pretty close to being able to accomplish that. I think we definitely need to move Myers this summer, and I'm completely open to the idea of buying out OEL although not a lot of other people are (I know that you have not pitched that).

If we can create more cap space, this is likely to be the last real summer of real cap crunch for a lot of teams. We could do quite well trying to snag someone through trades etc.

I like Juulsen and Johansson, Hronek and Bear, our right side is suddenly looking a lot better.

There's not exactly a rich crop of RD UFA's this summer to go after....

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm not sure Juulsen is a good enough skater. He's good for right now though. 

(next year)

Hughes - ???

OEL - Hronek

Dermott (?) - Bear

Rathbone - Johansson

Wolanin - Burroughs

Brisebois - Juulsen

LTIR - Poolman

I think Myers gets traded. 

Dermott will be gone..

Poolman LTIR.

Myers traded after July 1st- 5 million signing bonus will be paid..Team under cap will be interested as only 1 million owing with 6 million cap hit..Will help lower team reach this.

Teams like Coyotes, Ducks..

Bear 1 yr X 2.3  million -- Show me more deal

1. Hughes -- Bear RD

2. OEL -- Hronek. RD

3. Wolanin -- Johansson RD --- 7. Burroughs LD  8. Juulsen RD -- Brisebois LD -- Vancouver will try and sigh another stay at home D man for Hughes ?

3 hours ago, iceman64 said:

However that all changes if and when we make the post season anytime soon, that changes because Hughes will FOR SURE be painted with a huge target on his jersey so if we don't protect him, he'll either be injured or his effectiveness will certainly diminish. 

Fact is we need a bigger, faster, more skilled Schenn type but we never seem to get that on D where we could use it the most and add to that the ability to help keep Demko's crease clear and Hughes isn't capable of that so his partner needs to be.

Agreed

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

The point of the thread is to retool from within.

We are probably pretty close to being able to accomplish that. I think we definitely need to move Myers this summer, and I'm completely open to the idea of buying out OEL although not a lot of other people are (I know that you have not pitched that).

If we can create more cap space, this is likely to be the last real summer of real cap crunch for a lot of teams. We could do quite well trying to snag someone through trades etc.

I like Juulsen and Johansson, Hronek and Bear, our right side is suddenly looking a lot better.

There's not exactly a rich crop of RD UFA's this summer to go after....

Agreed

8 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'd trust Juulsen way more than Burroughs. 

Why? Juulsen seems to never be noticed which is a good thing for a d man. He seems to play safe. Burroughs is trusted to be on the PK and you see him jump in from of shots. His shots seem to get through more often.

Another thread in which the majority of posters seem intent on slotting Hronek down on the 2nd pairing and not beside Hughes.  He must play on the first pairing or this trade doesn't look good.  He has one year left on his contract.  If he continues to improve, he will want at least $6.5-7 million, and maybe more.  You cannot put that contract on a 2nd pair.  All current players earning that $6-8M range and are NOT on the first pairing are considered overpaid.  Trouba, Vlasic, Johnson, Dumba, all should be earning less.  Then you have our own guys OEL and Myers.

If Hronek does not improve, he forces Vancouver to make the same decision they made with Brock Boeser last year - extend him to a contract despite him struggling and likely not wanting to stay.  He is point-producing puck mover who should be able to eat as many minutes as Hughes.

That's a dreadful defence which doesn't get us in the playoffs over 82 games - half the players there are AHL-calibre and don't cut any of the playoff rosters, sorry.

We need to solidify this defence. Hughes is fantastic. Hronek is great. Both of them make any playoff roster. Then there's the two elephants in the room, or as I see it, wild-cards. Myers and OEL.

If we get the OEL and Myers of the first half of the season and expect them to be our top-4 guys, we're toast. They were two of the worst defencemen in the league, but that was with a very bad AHL set of goalies, and a very leaky system under Bruce. 

If we get the Myers we're currently seeing under Tocchet, Gonchar and Foote, and in front of a peak-performance Demko, we'll absolutely be fine. Myers has shown he can play well with multiple partners under this stricter defensive structure with a lot more support around him. In the last 10 games he has been very under-rated and one of our best players. His stats are pretty garbage still but he's been an even +/- and playing 20+ minutes nightly which says something. As for OEL, who knows, you'd like to think/hope he can do the same under the new structure and better goalie.

If that's the case, a top-4 of Hughes, Hronek and OEL and Myers is pretty decent, but it all depends on their play. I'd be one for splitting them up - have Myers on the bottom pairing with a guy like Rathbone, and OEL can play with either Hronek or someone like Burroughs/Bear/whoever. I wouldn't be against trying Hughes with Myers as well, I know it didn't work a long time ago but this is a new Myers and a new coaching structure.

For me personally though, I think we desperately need another top-4 defenceman. OEL and Myers are getting worse, even if they new coaches make them look good. We need another prime guy to complement Hughes and Hronek if we want to take our defence to the next level. A UFA like Graves or Gavrikov fills that bill perfectly. They're both shutdown, defence-first guys who could play with either Myers or Hronek really well. It'd be nice to unleash Hronek's offence a bit more - Hughes doesn't allow this but Graves or Gavrikov really would. They've been playing with Hamilton and Doughty respectively and look at their partner's stats. 

Of course we'd have to move cap around. Right now I really like Myers' play, and OEL is too hefty a contract to move without shifting a 1st which isn't worth it. For me, right now Boeser is one of our best forwards so I'd be hesitant to move him too. That leaves Garland at 5M and Beauvillier at 4M. I doubt we move our new shiny toy who's looked good with Petey too. Garland has to go. Get rid of Garland, throw away one of our many 3rd or 4th round picks if we have to to get rid of him (maybe we get a random prospect back, or future considerations, I'm easy) and use that cap space to sign Gavrikov or (more likely) Graves to a 5M deal.

Graves/Gavrikov - Hronek

Hughes - Myers

OEL - Dermott

Rathbone

Burroughs

Then we can fill the rest of the D from within. I'd let Bear go, he's been very average, unless he wants to re-sign for 1M or less - he's not worth anymore and Dermott, Rathbone and Burroughs can replace his minutes. I'd be happy relying on that trio to cover the 6th man and injuries. Depending on how the games/season goes, we can rotate Hronek with Hughes as well. We're just one solid LD off a decent defence.

I know it looks silly having a 7M guy in OEL on the bottom pairing, but you take your losses on the chin where you have to, and take your winnings where you can (eg. Petey a 11M player on a 7M cap, Demko a 10M goalie on a 5M deal etc.).

31 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Jack Rathbone is waiver eligible next season, same as Nils Hoglander.  Both either need to make the team or they will be traded...

I think that's fair, they've been toiling for a long time. Crap or get off the pot. I think we should give them both a solid chance and to be honest, I think they both have a starting spot in our lineup. If we acquire an LD, Rathbone surely sits as our 7th guy. Hoglander for me starts on our roster for sure, especially if we (most likely) trade out at least one expensive winger (Garland > Boeser > Beauvillier)

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

11 hours ago, wildcam said:

Dermott will be gone..

Poolman LTIR.

Myers traded after July 1st- 5 million signing bonus will be paid..Team under cap will be interested as only 1 million owing with 6 million cap hit..Will help lower team reach this.

Teams like Coyotes, Ducks..

Bear 1 yr X 2.3  million -- Show me more deal

1. Hughes -- Bear RD

2. OEL -- Hronek. RD

3. Wolanin -- Johansson RD --- 7. Burroughs LD  8. Juulsen RD -- Brisebois LD -- Vancouver will try and sigh another stay at home D man for Hughes ?

Myers to ARI?   Well he's got full control.   If he wants to stay in Vancouver, which why wouldn't he, all he has to do is remember grade two arithmetic and eliminate the teams that have the cap space for him when it comes time to put his 10 team list in.   Then eliminate a few more teams he definitely wouldn't want to play on after that, there isn't many as it is that can take his full cap hit, and why would they want to bung up cap instead of weaponize it?  That's also bad math even with the actual dollars saved.   He's not going to ARI or CHI.   Doubt ANA is his dream trade either.  He wants to win a cup doesn't he? 

Myers has been playing some of his best hockey of late.   It wouldn't shock me to see him traded in the off season, but doubt it.   What we can hope for is both OEL and Myers respond to Tochett and his staff's system.    Pretty sure this team can make the playoffs next year.   That doesn't make us sellers.    Don't see Myers going anywhere, unless we are a bubble team then maybe see a retention deal with Myers then.    OEL ... i doubt he gets bought out this summer too.   Not unless every team gets a freebie.   Going to have to work with what we got.   Do see a good chance we re-sign Schenn though. 

Edited by IBatch

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Jack Rathbone is waiver eligible next season, same as Nils Hoglander.  Both either need to make the team or they will be traded...

Yep.   Could see this team make some tweener swaps this summer or using them as add ons for trades.   Both these guys could be traded.   

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep.   Could see this team make some tweener swaps this summer or using them as add ons for trades.   Both these guys could be traded.   

Isn’t Woo is the same waiver eligible boat? 
Hogs can for sure play Garland’s minutes. Bone and Woo? 

• Cheers 1