The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The NEW core for the Vancouver Canucks has been revealed

Rate this topic

Elias Pettersson

53 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

How hilariously pessimistic. Cap projected to start going up, and this new breed of athletes that have proven that they can continue producing past 30, I don't see why we can't expect great things of Miller his entire contract. 

As time progresses, we'll see much more players like Pavelski and Benn

@24K PureCool 

I gotta agree with him here that it's a very pessimistic outlook. 

Obviously nobody beats age, but JT is playing so good and keeps himself in good shape. Enjoy the next few years of an elite playmaking power forward.  

Worry about the downfall 5 years from now, not any time soon. 

Just now, EddieVedder said:

Whos our top 5 goalie?

According to that Woodly guy on 650, by all the key goalie measures Demko is top five. And now with the club being coached properly, and Demko healthy, we are seeing him returning to that top five form. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

54 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

How hilariously pessimistic. Cap projected to start going up, and this new breed of athletes that have proven that they can continue producing past 30, I don't see why we can't expect great things of Miller his entire contract. 

I agree to an extent players are playing well into their mid 30s but generally thats just elite guys like benn and crosby and Bergeron.   I dont think miller has the same commitment to fitness or cerebral makeup needed for that same longevity.   He will be a support piece within 3 years time and i just hope we have kids like podz, hogz ready to be a core piece by then

• Wat 2

1 minute ago, EddieVedder said:

I agree to an extent players are playing well into their mid 30s but generally thats just elite guys like benn and crosby and Bergeron.   I dont think miller has the same commitment to fitness or cerebral makeup needed for that same longevity.   He will be a support piece within 3 years time and i just hope we have kids like podz, hogz ready to be a core piece by then

Your opinion is wrong. Miller will play at 70-90 points, 25-35 goals, and be a play driver for his full contract. We had to choose between old Bo and Miller to be our 2C. We made the right choice and it’s not even close. 

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Your opinion is wrong. Miller will play at 70-90 points, 25-35 goals, and be a play driver for his full contract. We had to choose between old Bo and Miller to be our 2C. We made the right choice and it’s not even close. 

Millers going to be a 90 point player for his whole contract?  I dont think you understand what youre saying, but okay.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

What happens when miller shows up out of shape  to start the year again?

I like Miller as a support piece.  Im 3 years time when hes 33, we will likely be desperately trying to get rid of that contract. 

Where is your proof he showed up out of shape? We haven't had a player like him since Kesler

Edited by BlakeQuinnAndEggs
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Does anyone remember the plethora of posts from 2-3 years ago where people were saying we need to define the five core players and build around them?

Well, here they are those five core players. 

The main difference from 2-3 years ago is that we now have a management and staff who can build around the core, know how to win, know what it really takes, and have multiple Cup pedigrees ... including Gonchar and Foote guiding our D. Also, we're finally committed to establishing a new identity and culture. 

What's interesting is that it's Petey's fifth season and he's now really emerging. It also took the Sedins about five seasons to really emerge. 

This all takes time but we do now have a great core to build around and take a legit run. Hopefully several in this window. 

• Cheers 3

20 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Where is your proof he showed up out of shape? We haven't had a player like him since Kesler

One other important factor that will shape our team's future is Tocchet's insistence that the players "reach a new level of fitness." 

It's in every player's best interest to take that seriously, which means Miller will likely be in excellent condition. 

He's a Tocchet kind of player. They both play/played hard, and contribute offensively. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Joe Pavelski isn't considered an elite player.  He's very similar to Miller.  And still a PPG guy at 38 years old...

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Joe Pavelski isn't considered an elite player.  He's very similar to Miller.  And still a PPG guy at 38 years old...

The big thing is how players score, if you are relying on skating past people losing a step is a big problem.  If you are a strong physical player the pavelski analogy is a good one.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Should have a buyout penalty for 2031-32 starts now banner with pictures of OEL, Myers, etc.

...............and Miller.  His Contract ends way out in the next decade of the 2030's (Closer to the middle of this century) when he's pushing senior citizens age.   Can't wait to see how his contract ages then!

5 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I think the new breed of athletes argument can be applied to higher pedigree draft prospects. I'd like to see a study to see how development time to NHL has changed now that the kids are more regimented in their training.

The better bets are still on these athletes when they're under 30. Especially as in a cap world you are paying market price or premium for the 30 yr olds 

Edited by DSVII

3 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Millers going to be a 90 point player for his whole contract?  I dont think you understand what youre saying, but okay.

He said 70-90 pts. I'm not saying it's guaranteed but I could see a 36/37 year old Miller puting up 70 points. I dont think you understand what youre saying, but okay.

Guess we'll have to revist this in 7 years.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

...............and Miller.  His Contract ends way out in the next decade of the 2030's (Closer to the middle of this century) when he's pushing senior citizens age.   Can't wait to see how his contract ages then!

At the risk of being a pedant 2030 (when JT's contract ends) is this decade, but I'll accept that's not how people use it so okay. Irregardless, what year do you think his play will become buyout worthy? Given a rising cap and how much a FA replacement would cost, I don't see much of a problem.

Edited by Biff Tannen

16 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

What happens when miller shows up out of shape  to start the year again?

I like Miller as a support piece.  Im 3 years time when hes 33, we will likely be desperately trying to get rid of that contract. 

What? Miller showing up to camp out of shape? Where are you getting that from?

16 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

A top 10 All-Star C, 100+ pts, who hasn’t hit his ceiling yet

A play-driving, power forward, consistent PPG 2C
An elite, 40+ goal-scoring winger

A top 5, PPG defensemen, entering his prime

A top 5 goaltender, who can steal games

decent core.

But, but, but, tear it all down they say! Tank they say! Lol! 

Im Not No Way GIF

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Miller is a very good playmaker. Playmaking ability doesn't tend to decline at the same rate as goal scoring. Given his style of play he will make those around him better for years to come. My money would be on Miller being a better, more effective, player at 36 than Horvat at 34. Since the 19/20 season, when he arrived, up to now Miller is 5th the league among all centers in assists behind McDavid, Draisaitl, MacKinnon, and Huberdeau. Miller has said in a few interviews he sees himself as more of a playmaker than goal scorer. He's not too shabby at goal scoring either.

• Vintage 2

Hmmmmm...........Things that make one say, Hmmmmmmm........    

Other than the big 3 of, well.......you know who; could this be a precursor of no intention to move JTM or Kuz? Of a future with Kuz post his new contract, and a big money extension to insure his stay in our organization?  An unofficial statement that we've every intention of paying Petey and Huggy whatever is required to make 'em longtime Canucks?  Well.........I ain't got no problem with that.

Go (new core!) Canucks Go!!!!!