The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[ADSF] Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (A3) | Maple Leafs win series 4-2

Rate this topic

2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Round 1  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Maple Leafs in 4
    • Maple Leafs in 5
    • Maple Leafs in 6
    • Maple Leafs in 7
    • Lightning in 4
    • Lightning in 5
    • Lightning in 6
    • Lightning in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/20/2023 at 11:00 PM

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Sorry....that's "entitled"? :huh:

Yes, He's the most annoying person I've ever listened too, What's so great about this idiot? Gets free promotion and advertised ..He's just like any other fan but because he's a Laffs fan he special? ..Don' answer that.  :lol:

Just now, Canuck You said:

Yes, He's the most annoying person I've ever listened too, What's so great about this idiot? Gets free promotion and advertised ..He's just like any other fan but because he's a Laffs fan he special? ..Don' answer that.  :lol:

So....because one Leafs fan has a platform, all Leafs fans are "entitled"?

K.....:unsure:

13 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't know many Leafs fans, but the ones I do are all pretty much embarrassed by how they've fared over the past few decades....they don't do much bragging....

Habs fans, OTOH....<_<

Yeah, at least online if you scroll through hfboards or Reddit you see that most Leaf fans are actually pretty self-aware. I think it's a bit of a newer development, say in the last 2-3 years, but it's nice. 

You're spot-on about Habs fans though. Somebody needs to let them know the 2021 Cup Final kinda didn't count and nobody outside of Habs fans thought they had even a snowball's chance in hell of winning that series (because they didn't).

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

Yeah, at least online if you scroll through hfboards or Reddit you see that most Leaf fans are actually pretty self-aware. I think it's a bit of a newer development, say in the last 2-3 years, but it's nice. 

You're spot-on about Habs fans though. Somebody needs to let them know the 2021 Cup Final kinda didn't count and nobody outside of Habs fans thought they had even a snowball's chance in hell of winning that series (because they didn't).

I'm pretty sure I was the only one on CDC who was pulling for the Leafs against them....:lol:

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

So....because one Leafs fan has a platform, all Leafs fans are "entitled"?

K.....:unsure:

Hey bro cheer for who ever you wanna cheer for..I'm cheering against the Coil and Toronto..And hoping the rest of the teams I dislike get knocked out in the next round or 2..Clearly I've had different run ins with those fans then you have ..It's harder to hate a team whose fans you haven't really had any encounters with..can't say that with Laffs or Coilers.

Just now, Canuck You said:

Hey bro cheer for who ever you wanna cheer for..I'm cheering against the Coil and Toronto..And hoping the rest of the teams I dislike get knocked out in the next round or 2..Clearly I've had different run ins with those fans then you have ..It's harder to hate a team whose fans you haven't really had any encounters with..can't say that with Laffs or Coilers.

Yeah, fill yer boots...

Since I started following the NHL in the 60's, I've had plenty of encounters with Leafs and Oilers fans....but neither fanbase has had anything to brag about for decades, which I why I thought Sean's experience was odd....

Alright, since there seems to be a few closet Leafs fans hanging around upset and dumbfounded that people aren't hopping on the bandwagon, I will give you my cliffnotes version of why I won't be cheering for Toronto.

1. I don't like the organization. The lore, the history, the identity, etc.  From their dumb awkward name, to all the smoke around obstructing Vancouver from joining in the 1967 expansion, to being a Bieber fashion-haus, to running a child sex ring, doesn't seem like much there to be a supporter of.

2. I don't like the fans. They're insufferable. Like cockroaches that crawl out of the woodwork when you shut the lights off. The closest word I have to describing them is 'solipsistic', and I know that's not quite close either. Being a Leafs fan must be like being in some monolithic cult. Maybe the ones in Toronto are fine, the existence of Steve Dangle makes me doubt it, but I don't know. The ones here are very annoying though.

3. The media. Self-explanatory. 

4. The players. Don't really like the players, don't want to see them win. Johnny Pyjamas, Matthews the dandy, Marner the "I'm-telling-daddy" Diva, Michael "Dollar Store Marchand" Bunting, Mark Kneeordano, Matt 'I am just unlucky' Murray, etc. Do I hate them? No, but I don't look at any of these guys and think "Wow I sure hope he gets to lift the cup". The one exception is Schenn, but he already has 2 so oh well. 

5. If they win I will never hear the end of it. It will exacerbate the first 3 reasons I don't cheer for them.

6. It's really, really funny to watch them find new ways to lose. Its like a joke that gets funnier each time you hear it simply for being self-referential. Like Charlie Brown kicking the football, except replace Charlie Brown with Joffrey Baratheon. 

7. I don't cheer for teams in the playoffs, only against teams. I cheer for the Canucks, and then against the other 31 depending on where they fall in my shifting hierarchy of dislike. So no, just because I don't want to see the Leafs win does not mean I want to see ______ team win either. Stop it. Just because I don't want to eat a plate of medical waste does not mean I'm hungering to eat a bag of horse manure either. 

Thanks for coming to my TEDtalk. All your ensuing comments about "You have to cheer for the Leafs because its good for the league", "You're a bad Canadian if you don't cheer for the Leafs", "You have to support the Leafs because its better than ______ team I have my own arbitrary reasons for disliking." etc are just going to make me hope the Leafs lose even more. Sorry. Hockey is an entertainment product at the end of the day and I'm going to enjoy it how I want. You do you. 

Edited by McBackup
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Real Canadians hate the Leafs. It’s what unites us as a country, coast to coast to coast. But these are dangerous times. It’s like in Ghostbusters, when that bylaw guy goes and forces the release of all the caught ghosts throughout New York. The Leafs making it to the second around will churn out more Leafs articles and headlines than any of us can handle.  
Clear your heads, Canadians. Try to think happy thoughts.
Marshmallow Man Bbq Films GIF by BBQ Films Presents: Ghostbusters

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1