The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Akito Hirose | #41 | D

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Impressed.

I thought because of his inexperience and lack of size he would struggle, but he was really good for his 1st game. I think he makes Rathbone expendable. 

Rathbone has more of a pedigree and higher upside due to his offensive skillset and had a great AHL season last year which I did NOT expect him to have.

Congrats to Akito for getting an NHL contract though, he played in the BCHL never got into the WHL and ended up making US College and playing well seemingly at that level. Wish him all the best, but I hope they give Rathbone a fair shake before we trade him or risk him on waivers next fall. Jack has an NHL caliber slap shot, something we may have in Hronek next year if that shoulder injury doesn't hinder his shot going forward.

58 minutes ago, Neutral said:

Rathbone has more of a pedigree and higher upside due to his offensive skillset and had a great AHL season last year which I did NOT expect him to have.

Congrats to Akito for getting an NHL contract though, he played in the BCHL never got into the WHL and ended up making US College and playing well seemingly at that level. Wish him all the best, but I hope they give Rathbone a fair shake before we trade him or risk him on waivers next fall. Jack has an NHL caliber slap shot, something we may have in Hronek next year if that shoulder injury doesn't hinder his shot going forward.

Frankly I thought that was the best game I've seen Rathbone play. Hirito look calm and collected and can only get better with more game. I thought Bear had an off night

• Like 1

If you look at his NCAA scoring stats, they are similar to other NCAA defensemen who went on to have very good careers, such as McAvoy, Miller, and Anderson. Now, all those guys are a bit bigger, but with a 6' frame, Hirose could still pack on 20 pounds over the next few years. This could be a very astute signing indeed...

• Cheers 1

It was a great first game in the NHL for Hirose. He had the poise and confidence - looking forward to seeing what he can do as he spends more time with the coaching staff and familiarizing himself with the rest of the team. 

Instead of seeking that internship, he is seeking a spot long-term in the Top-4 B)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

If you look at his NCAA scoring stats, they are similar to other NCAA defensemen who went on to have very good careers, such as McAvoy, Miller, and Anderson. Now, all those guys are a bit bigger, but with a 6' frame, Hirose could still pack on 20 pounds over the next few years. This could be a very astute signing indeed...

It's noteworthy that guys like Miller and McAvoy put up their numbers as teenagers in college. Hirose is already 23 years old, so they're not apples to apples.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Great game

More proof our scouting department is far more competent than we've had in a long time

Which is half the battle... It even better when you know as a fan, that the development department is as astute or better than the scouting.  The hope is real for the first time since the Manitoba days.  

I wonder where he fits in next year, our 8th defenceman perhaps? Hope he gets some top time in Abbortsford, would like to see him in the AHL as a top defenceman for a bit and maybe one of our top injury call ups.

It'll be interesting to see where the coaches place him, Rathbone and Wolanin. Wolanin is already a star in the AHL, their top defenceman last year. Rathbone had a PPG in the AHL, dipped a little bit, but looked really good this year with the Canucks. In just one game, Hirose looked very steady, but consistency is the key here amongst these 3. In all honesty, I think right now it goes Wolanin > Rathbone = Hirose, but hopefully a good summer off and training camp will separate these 3 LDs.

I'd be a bit worried if we go into next season with OEL at 2LD and one of these three as our bottom pairing guys, not for the bottom pairing but for what that means to our 2nd pairing, but either of these 3 can handle 16-18 minutes a night on a rotating basis.