The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Prospect Previews

Rate this topic

VegasCanuck

Now that we are officially dealing again with a lost season, I'd love to see a number of our prospects get a little NHL experience and preview what they are capable of.

We've seen some pretty good results with Wolanin, Juulsen and Brisebois and now Rathbone has been recalled again and Hirose had his first game last night.

Would like to see a rotation for the rest of the season where we cycle the guys I've mentioned above with some others in Abbotsford and try and get a better picture on how they can play in the NHL.

Let's give Klimovich, Karlsson, Raty, Bains, Sasson, Woo and let's even give Silovs another game or two.

I think those are the main guys who have the potential to be a part of the future of this team. I haven't mentioned Hoglander here as he's already had some really good NHL experience, he just needs to continue working on his defensive consistency and he should be here full time again next season.

Let's see what these kids can do for a game or two. 

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Now that we are officially dealing again with a lost season, I'd love to see a number of our prospects get a little NHL experience and preview what they are capable of.

We've seen some pretty good results with Wolanin, Juulsen and Brisebois and now Rathbone has been recalled again and Hirose had his first game last night.

Would like to see a rotation for the rest of the season where we cycle the guys I've mentioned above with some others in Abbotsford and try and get a better picture on how they can play in the NHL.

Let's give Klimovich, Karlsson, Raty, Bains, Sasson, Woo and let's even give Silovs another game or two.

I think those are the main guys who have the potential to be a part of the future of this team. I haven't mentioned Hoglander here as he's already had some really good NHL experience, he just needs to continue working on his defensive consistency and he should be here full time again next season.

Let's see what these kids can do for a game or two. 

If they look good, we look good

Vidal Sasson 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I think we've used all of our callups?

Absolutely right. The Canucks cannot "cycle" guys up from Abby. They can only call up another guys if someone gets injured. More specifically, they can call up someone only if they do not have 2 healthy goalies, 6 healthy D-men, and 12 healthy forwards.

Admittedly, at this stage in the season a lot of guys have minor injuries and there is some flexibility in declaring someone "unhealthy" but with Hirose joining the team and with team already having healthy scratches at forward, additional emergency call-ups are unlikely.

Personally, I am hoping that Wolanin and Juulsen will be healthy enough so that they can return to Abby for the AHL playoffs. (Brisebois is not eligible as he was not "papered" down at the AHL roster deadline. Rathbone is eligible and so is Podz.)

3 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Absolutely right. The Canucks cannot "cycle" guys up from Abby. They can only call up another guys if someone gets injured. More specifically, they can call up someone only if they do not have 2 healthy goalies, 6 healthy D-men, and 12 healthy forwards.

Admittedly, at this stage in the season a lot of guys have minor injuries and there is some flexibility in declaring someone "unhealthy" but with Hirose joining the team and with team already having healthy scratches at forward, additional emergency call-ups are unlikely.

Personally, I am hoping that Wolanin and Juulsen will be healthy enough so that they can return to Abby for the AHL playoffs. (Brisebois is not eligible as he was not "papered" down at the AHL roster deadline. Rathbone is eligible and so is Podz.)

I did not know about Breezer yikes they're gonna miss him him Abby. 

Looks Like 

Wolanin Juulsen if healthey

Bone Woo

Kalnyuk? Keeper?

Schmimann? Leipert?

Would definitely look better with Brisebois. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

The National Hockey League has rules that limit teams to four non-emergency call-ups after the trade deadline and an unlimited number of emergency call-ups.

Yeah...my mistake, go ahead and lock this thread.

Forgot that it was emergency only

4 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Yeah...my mistake, go ahead and lock this thread.

Forgot that it was emergency only

Hey I'm with you, I hope to see some more young guys get their shots.  

On Klimovich: he's eligible to slide his ELC one more year, so it wouldn't make sense to call him up for a game and lose a year off his ELC.  

On Hoglander: he's two games away from being eligible for waivers, so we would lose a lot of flexibility with him next year if we give him two more games.  

On Sasson: his ELC starts next year, he's only signed on with Abby for the remainder of this year.  

I would absolutely love to see Woo get a game or two.  I wouldn't be surprised to see another guy or two get shut down for the year here, so there might be a spot that opens up through an emergency recall. 

5 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It's only trouble if they play him 66 minutes a night.  Otherwise, he should suck it up and harden himself up for when we start playing playoff games that make it into 5th or 6th overtime... :frantic:

:bigblush:

He might be on Geritol by then:bigblush:

• Haha 1

I think the run in Abbotsford, development is the best it's ever been with our farm club!

Since Kesler, Bieksa & Burrows were with the Moose.  That they are getting great coaching, playing their arses off & have a chance to play in AHL's post season all have value.  

Let them stay with the farm!

• Cheers 3
  • There it is 1

41 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I think the run in Abbotsford, development is the best it's ever been with our farm club!

Since Kesler, Bieksa & Burrows were with the Moose.  That they are getting great coaching, playing their arses off & have a chance to play in AHL's post season all have value.  

Agreed, let them gel and form the pipeline that we need.  Think that if we really properly develop the kids and they go on a run for the Calder Cup, perhaps they could be a poor man's version of what the Lightning had, a group that can move up en masse (Hoglander, Rathbone, Podkolzin, Raty at least all should have middle-6 forward/ bottom-4 D potential, and there's good depth in Bains/ Sasson/ Hirose/ Karlsson/ Klimovich, etc.).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I would absolutely love to see Woo get a game or two.  I wouldn't be surprised to see another guy or two get shut down for the year here, so there might be a spot that opens up through an emergency recall. 

Just a thought .. Rathbone is up on an emergency callup.   Could he be returned, then Woo brought up on an emergency basis, or does Bones now need to stay up until the "emergency" is over?

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Just a thought .. Rathbone is up on an emergency callup.   Could he be returned, then Woo brought up on an emergency basis, or does Bones now need to stay up until the "emergency" is over?

Good question and I don't know 

@mll

9 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It's only trouble if they play him 66 minutes a night.  Otherwise, he should suck it up and harden himself up for when we start playing playoff games that make it into 5th or 6th overtime... :frantic:

:bigblush:

Thierry Henry Smile GIF by hamlet

• Tanks a lot 1

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Agreed. Getting ready for the playoffs is far better than these no account games remaining.

• Upvote 1

I think we've used all our call-ups, which just shows how rough a time our D has had with injuries, but also the AHL playoff stretch will be more important - don't want to keep messing with their lineup now, they need to build chemistry and go on a hard playoff run as opposed to a few meaningless NHL games and ruin their team chemistry. A deep AHL playoff run will be more valuable than some useless games in the NHL, but I think a solid NHL training camp and first few NHL games will be much more vital.

Let them play their hearts out and whoever looks good in the playoffs and then next training camp deserves a shot on the roster.

• Cheers 1