The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Calgary Flames, 7PM PST (10PM EST) Saturday April 8, 2023, Rogers Arena ... Tame the Flame Game

Rate this topic

Rocket-68

Will The Canucks Make the Playoffs Next Year?  

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

This is exactly what we need ... and have needed for so long! We've had far too much much comfort in mentality for too many years. 

We're going to see a different looking team next season, however the 1st 20 games will be key. We have to get away from the losing environment.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

To be fair the kid had serious chronic migraine issues. If not for that, he would be a heck of an nhler player right now. 

Patrick played 2 full seasons in Philly.  He didn't stand out.  Don't think he would have been moere than a 2C/3C tweener at best.  His skating was not great, which was known before he was drafted...

• Vintage 1

We could end up finishing 10 in draft spot unfortunately because Washington will lose all their games against Boston, NYI, FLA etc. Detroit might lose all their games. We can't finish higher than 12th in draft pick so we will be top 12 no matter what but highly likely to pick at 10th the way I see the schedule and how our team is doing. 8th was a good position to pick but we won't end up there unfortunately 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

*Possibly go a long way for a team that wants to restore their reputation

Canucks are going to restore their reputation by beating the Flames tonight? Seriously? If the Canucks ice a comparable team with the same TOI as they did against the Hawks,  and win the game then I tip my hat. Otherwise I want a L. regardless the real team building will start next September. In the interim Patrick Allvin has the summer to draft a 1st rdr and hopefully do some trades. I am hoping he can recover the 2nd rdr from the Hronek trade. Top that with Tocchet's commitment to watch summer training routines. I can just imagine what the exit interviews will be like this year. Love to be a fly on the wall. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I said it in the other thread.  I dont care about such petty victories that we will forget the next morning.  I care about getting a real shot at a lottery pick who will play for this team for the next 10 years.

Good for you. Try and sell that approach to the professionals playing on the ice.

Our chances to land a better prospect won't improve drastically if we lose this game or the 3 remaining hereafter. Look at the standings. We are firmly slotted to have lottery odds from 8-10 place. MTL ain't passing us and neither will Philly. We might surpass WSH, maybe DET but that is if we run the table. 

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

who will "possibly" play for...

We may forget these victories but they go a long way for a team that wants to restore their reputation and shed the "easy to play against" narrative.

.. and a set up for a Summer for players to look after themselves , stay healthy, and come to camp in the best personal condition they have been in their lives.

If this group can see the potential in themselves,  that we see , I have no doubt we are a team others do not want to play against next season.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

We could end up finishing 10 in draft spot unfortunately because Washington will lose all their games against Boston, NYI, FLA etc. Detroit might lose all their games. We can't finish higher than 12th in draft pick so we will be top 12 no matter what but highly likely to pick at 10th the way I see the schedule and how our team is doing. 8th was a good position to pick but we won't end up there unfortunately 

I believe if the Canucks have zero chance in Bedard and say outside top 10 I can see Canucks swapping spots and get an asset back plus a draft pick in 1st round. Not saying it will happen but a possibility.

4 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

Good for you. Try and sell that approach to the professionals playing on the ice.

Our chances to land a better prospect won't improve drastically if we lose this game or the 3 remaining hereafter. Look at the standings. We are firmly slotted to have lottery odds from 8-10 place. MTL ain't passing us and neither will Philly. We might surpass WSH, maybe DET but that is if we run the table. 

We will pass Washington and Detroit without even trying. Washington and Detroit will face very tough teams and lose out all their games. The only way we finish lower than them is if we lose all our games. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

I'd take the increased odds regardless of how slim. 

Nobody needs to sell any approach to the players, we're in this spot because we have been a dogshit team. 

54 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

This my pet peeve with Garland actually. He's like a parlor trick. You can wind him up and he crashes and bangs against the opposition and somehow retains the puck on the boards only to rifle a horrible 5 degree angle shot/cross on net which usually ends up with the opponent on a 3 on 2. Unfortunately I differ on my assessment I find the chances are grade C or D.

Usually I like smaller players and I'm not dead set against them like some. I loved Ronning and even though Theo Fleury was a flame he was a treat to watch. Martin. St. Louis was special, Gaudreau I'll admit is pretty damn good even though I don't like him. However I find Garland initiates too much contact (which is admirable in itself I must say), however smaller players are most effective when they use their speed and smarts to keep one or two steps ahead of the opponent, not continually engage in contact. Defensively I find him non-existent. He also doesn't PK. Nothing against him personally but he's one player I hope we move on from. When push comes to shove I worry about his worth.

He does draw a lot of penalties,   And the pp in this league is usually the winning denominator of any game.

regardless of our pp at the moment,  players like him hurt other teams.

• Cheers 1

Just now, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I believe if the Canucks have zero chance in Bedard and say outside top 10 I can see Canucks swapping spots and get an asset back plus a draft pick in 1st round. Not saying it will happen but a possibility.

I think there are great prospects inside the top 10 and even top 12. There is a reason why NYI had a top 12 protected pick traded. Canucks trading their pick will be a big mistake unless they are getting a top end defensive  prospect like a Simon Nemec or a Luke Hughes. I. The top 10 there is Bedard, Fantili, Carlsson, Mitchkov, Benson, Smith, Pelleka etc. We all know some teams could go a bit off board so we can still end up with a great prospect. This year's draft is pretty deep so it will be very dumb for Canucks to trade their pick unless they are getting a top end prospect.

16 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I'll take being called a Kool Aid drinker over reveling in being pi$$y for rep points to fit in .. in the PGT. 

But I do respect people's need to fit in, so ...

;)

Haven’t seen any posters on board with everything the Canucks management and coaches are doing. Even the more optimistic posters are still thinking critically.

I do see some posters being chronically negative, complaining about every win. They seem to be more prone to attention seeking, and group think.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, teepain said:

[Regarding the Myers situation]:

Yes hes pretty much gone

if we eat 50% of the salary , it can happen, and we take a 3mil hit. For the good of the team

1 hour ago, mll said:

He has to submit an updated list for 1 July - if he doesn't then it's the list of this season that remains in force.  

It's apparently 15 September for his bonus payment per Dhaliwal who verified with his agent.  It's really close to the start of training camp and it's rare for trades to be made that late in the off-season. 

20 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Already confirmed that the bonus doesn’t get paid till September.

A new list is submitted every season.

Myers and his agent hold all the cards as he could add any team with cap space to his 10 team no trade list.

Some more wrinkles on the Myers situation.

1. There is nothing to stop the Canucks from putting Myers on waivers after paying his bonus. And I think that any team could then claim Myers. I just read the relevant section of the CBA and I would interpret it as saying that NTCs do not prevent waiver claims although the wording is not explicit. There are some claims to this effect on the Internet but I have not seen anything I would take as definitive. If anyone knows for sure I would be happy to be corrected.

2. There are several teams that probably would like to take on his contract to help them reach the salary floor without paying much actual money. Arizona is obviously in this position and there are other teams.   So if he can be picked up on waivers that would be a potential solutions.

3. He certainly can be waived to the minors. If the Canucks tell Myers that he will be waived that might persuade him to waive his NTC instead. 

4. The Canucks could enter into a "handshake agreement" with another team regarding a transaction involving Myers --agreeing that a trade would take place after Sept. 15. Such an agreement would not be binding but would probably work and would allow the Canucks to plan accordingly.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Some more wrinkles on the Myers situation.

1. There is nothing to stop the Canucks from putting Myers on waivers after paying his bonus. And I think that any team could then claim Myers. I just read the relevant section of the CBA and I would interpret it as saying that NTCs do not prevent waiver claims although the wording is not explicit. There are some claims to this effect on the Internet but I have not seen anything I would take as definitive. If anyone knows for sure I would be happy to be corrected.

2. There are several teams that probably would like to take on his contract to help them reach the salary floor without paying much actual money. Arizona is obviously in this position and there are other teams.   So if he can be picked up on waivers that would be a potential solutions.

3. He certainly can be waived to the minors. If the Canucks tell Myers that he will be waived that might persuade him to waive his NTC instead. 

4. The Canucks could enter into a "handshake agreement" with another team regarding a transaction involving Myers --agreeing that a trade would take place after Sept. 15. Such an agreement would not be binding but would probably work and would allow the Canucks to plan accordingly.

It's a pickle for sure. I think barring an easy move like one you suggest above the best might be to ride it out and then welcome the $6 mil the following season. We will need it for Petey and Hronek anyways.

Edit: Having said that maybe it's best to play Hronek in a defensive role next year with bonus being two fold. Develop his defensive skills while keeping his contract reasonable. Imagine him playing with Hughes and the PP getting 65 points ... Ouch!

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Haven’t seen any posters on board with everything the Canucks management and coaches are doing. Even the more optimistic posters are still thinking critically.

I do see some posters being chronically negative, complaining about every win. They seem to be more prone to attention seeking, and group think.

Kenny I think we’re in a great position ,  this management group has picked up some key components in players that usually get overlooked..  it’s these depth players that allow your better players to be the best they can.

I like that we’re adding to prospect pool that might offer really good players at our fingertips, that have had the time to fully develop into their best.

Karlsson, DPetersson, Lehtermaki, Hogz, Podz, now additions of McWard Hirose any many more that I’ll have to find the list for..

our future is bright..  players will get to develop properly.

The only issue is to move those cap hurting players ,  a tougher task all together.

Moving those will give managers freedom to finally set a signature on this team.

Boudreau was great for this franchise,  Tochett is even better..  bringing Foote and Gonchar to this D core is one of the most significant Coaching upgrades I’ve seen since Quinn would put his foot on the pine.

Finally seeing a blue collar culture reappear in Vancouver that was lost somewhere in the Early 2000’s..   It’s bright here. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

35 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Canucks are going to restore their reputation by beating the Flames tonight? Seriously? If the Canucks ice a comparable team with the same TOI as they did against the Hawks,  and win the game then I tip my hat. Otherwise I want a L. regardless the real team building will start next September. In the interim Patrick Allvin has the summer to draft a 1st rdr and hopefully do some trades. I am hoping he can recover the 2nd rdr from the Hronek trade. Top that with Tocchet's commitment to watch summer training routines. I can just imagine what the exit interviews will be like this year. Love to be a fly on the wall. 

Agreed.

I put zero stock into these games. Consistency is the key for this team and they’ve already shown down the stretch they still struggle with that no matter who the coach is.

I expect the roster to look much different next season too so any chemistry that is gained might not even matter. Everything starts as soon as this season is done.

• Cheers 2