The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver is home and Canucks players like it — a lot

Rate this topic

Canuck You

28 minutes ago, McBackup said:

People really overblow how much it rains here. Does it rain a lot? Sure. But it’s not a 24/7 deluge all year like they make it out to be.

The rain is definitely overrated. It rains a lot in winter.  A trade off for snow & minus twenty, minus thirty, minus...

Almost anyplace on the Eastern Seaboard has substantially more rain the rest of the year. About the same as a whole.

Look at the flood events now Oregon & Northern California. Not as big as the Fraser Valley flood, but more common. Any coastal area without an island mountain range like Vancouver Island, to take off the excess water coming off the ocean.  Has more rain than 'us.' 

I live in Australia now after Vancouver. It's hot, right???  Melbourne gets 4 & 1/2 times the annual rainfall of Vancouver. Its cold and rainy today, 13 degrees C, and it ain't winter. Sydney & Byron Bay, Brisbane TEN times the annual rainfall. Check the info program for one of its famous festivals.  Rubber Boots...

image.thumb.png.53c1e303471a7de6b87c256cf24a2bc7.png

THAT BLUES FEELING – SPELL

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

The rain is definitely overrated. It rains a lot in winter.  A trade off for snow & minus twenty, minus thirty, minus...

Almost anyplace on the Eastern Seaboard has substantially more rain the rest of the year. About the same as a whole.

Look at the flood events now Oregon & Northern California. Not as big as the Fraser Valley flood, but more common. Any coastal area without an island mountain range like Vancouver Island, to take off the excess water coming off the ocean.  Has more rain than 'us.' 

I live in Australia now after Vancouver. It's hot, right???  Melbourne gets 4 & 1/2 times the annual rainfall of Vancouver. Its cold and rainy today, 13 degrees C, and it ain't winter. Sydney & Byron Bay, Brisbane TEN times the annual rainfall. Check the info program for one of its famous festivals.  Rubber Boots...

image.thumb.png.53c1e303471a7de6b87c256cf24a2bc7.png

THAT BLUES FEELING – SPELL

Yeah it’s funny, I actually got in an argument with someone from Halifax about Vancouver’s rainfall being “depressing”. Turns out Vancouver has both less total rainfall and fewer rainy days. Whoops. We have less rainfall than Atlanta, Miami, Melbourne as you mentioned, etc. 

The thing is Vancouver has a lot of “rainy days”. But what does that mean? Any day with 2 millimetres of rainfall or more counts as a “rainy day”. So it can drizzle for a bit in the morning, burn off and be sunny the rest of the day, and it still counts as a “rainy day”.

I know lots of people find it depressing, I don’t care. I’m 70% water. I’d rather live somewhere with mountains and ocean and greenery where it happens to sprinkle often than somewhere flat, brown and empty, but the sun happens to be out. Reminds me of Mordor. 

For some reason it’s been ingrained in people’s mind that it’s pouring nonstop in Vancouver. I keep getting this ad for Mark’s where they’re talking about Canadian cities and there’s a family in Calgary going “we love it here, the weather changes all the time” followed by a guy in rain gear at Spanish Banks under torrential downpour saying “here, not so much.” And I just got to think how silly that is. That’s like me saying “Oh yeah Toronto it’s always -30, never gets above freezing” or “Yeah there isn’t a single tree in Saskatchewan”.

I live in Northern BC. Summers are beautiful. Better than Vancouver but that’s only a couple months of the year. The rest is hell lol.

That said Vancouver is my favorite place to visit. I’m not a big city person but I love visiting your beautiful city 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 3

I have lived in Vancouver most of my life and I love it here. It is too bad that the cost of housing is making hard to stay in the city for a lot young people.

When players like Miller and Myers say how much they like it here it makes me like them better. I particularly appreciate players who make Vancouver their home base despite the high tax rates in BC. (I usually avoid politics but income taxes in BC are too high.)

That said, I would be a lot happier about Myers if a) he were a better player or b) he had  much lower cap hit or c) both. In the current situation the Canucks would be a lot better off if they could unload his cap hit, One possibility would be to get him to waive his partial NTC in return for an informal offer to made him a offer after next at a more reasonable cap hit so his family could stay in Vancouver. I would have no problem with Myers as 7th man at a cap hit of between 1 and 2 million for a couple of years after next year.   

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Must be real hard signing an 8 year deal in say Detroit...there's lots of nice liveable cities out there but Ohio and Detroit? Teams should almost have to pay a bit more to convince a prime player to grow and raise their families there.

The Californian teams would be nice, Nashville and St Louis surely would be a step down, New York and Chicago and Boston would be good fun but again, not as "liveable", the Florida teams quite nice, Vegas would be really odd...

I wonder if players in the more rubbish cities simply just work there and live elsewhere?

I became a Canucks fan as I loved the city when I visited as a kid. It's been a while since I returned but it's a beautiful part of the world. People measure quality of life differently though so younger players may want a bigger city or they may prefer financial/tax benefits elsewhere. There's also the reduced media exposure caused by time zones alas.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Having traveled for work, nothing is more beautiful than crossing the Rockies seeing our lush evergreen treelines and mountain lakes. So green. 

100% No matter where I go when I overlook our city from the plane I start feeling comfortable..It's home and beautiful. I flew from flatland Toronto to YVR here recently and what a better view looking at them mountains..

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

I became a Canucks fan as I loved the city when I visited as a kid. It's been a while since I returned but it's a beautiful part of the world. People measure quality of life differently though so younger players may want a bigger city or they may prefer financial/tax benefits elsewhere. There's also the reduced media exposure caused by time zones alas.

We used to go the States fairly often (pre-border restrictions) for farm related things. Last time down was more than 20 years ago. The feeling down there was really nasty and tense. Felt a huge sense of relief crossing the border back into BC. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1