The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver is home and Canucks players like it — a lot

Rate this topic

Canuck You

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We used to go the States fairly often (pre-border restrictions) for farm related things. Last time down was more than 20 years ago. The feeling down there was really nasty and tense. Felt a huge sense of relief crossing the border back into BC. 

It's a big patchwork quilt. I often say to people "You have idiots where you are from too right? Just imagine if there are 10x more of them" to help put things in perspective. It's definitely more nasty in places but then the bubble areas are also even more isolated. I'm sure most NHLers live within 2 zipcodes/postal codes in every city.

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Must be real hard signing an 8 year deal in say Detroit...there's lots of nice liveable cities out there but Ohio and Detroit? Teams should almost have to pay a bit more to convince a prime player to grow and raise their families there.

The Californian teams would be nice, Nashville and St Louis surely would be a step down, New York and Chicago and Boston would be good fun but again, not as "liveable", the Florida teams quite nice, Vegas would be really odd...

I wonder if players in the more rubbish cities simply just work there and live elsewhere?

Everyone has different criteria for what makes a city "nice". I for one hate the heat so Miami sounds insufferable to me, but that doesn't make Miami a bad city to live in. The list you just gave is not an objective criteria for "nice" places to live, but your subjective opinion. There's tons of players who trip over themselves to sign in Nashville, for example. 

And no matter what city you live in, if you're making millions you will find a nice place to live. Lots of people love Michigan. I guarantee you all those car execs in Detroit aren't living on 8 mile. Same for the players. It's like assuming Canucks players are going to live on East Hastings. 

Which is why I never really understood the mockery of Gaudreau signing in Columbus. I totally understand Calgary fans being upset he left, but come on. They're acting like he just left heaven on earth to sign in Mordor. It's Calgary. It's a playmobil ranch/potemkin village. It can't be that much better than Columbus.

Well for a starter Kuzmenko would like to buy a house here but rules disqualify him, taxes are high and in a limited career that counts. This is not about a view of the Lions but about dollar and cents. As we know taxes in some US cities is extremely low giving them a big advantage. You might remember hockey players are not in 9 -5 jobs they're away from the beauties of Vancouver likely for 50% of the season

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Well for a starter Kuzmenko would like to buy a house here but rules disqualify him, taxes are high and in a limited career that counts. This is not about a view of the Lions but about dollar and cents. As we know taxes in some US cities is extremely low giving them a big advantage. You might remember hockey players are not in 9 -5 jobs they're away from the beauties of Vancouver likely for 50% of the season

And?

On 4/10/2023 at 7:35 AM, Alflives said:

We used to go the States fairly often (pre-border restrictions) for farm related things. Last time down was more than 20 years ago. The feeling down there was really nasty and tense. Felt a huge sense of relief crossing the border back into BC. 

Everyone feels weird with aliens around though Alf, with all the cats people have especially... ;)

I'm guessing there's a pretty good number of former Canuck players calling Vancouver and Okanagan area home. As far as some of the guys that've been here for a few years now, do you think they'll stick around even though they will, or have been traded?

Actually....who are some of the former Canucks still living in Van and area......Cheech, Linden, Sedins of course. Captain Kirk? Jannik Hansen? I'm guessing some B.C. born players have returned home; Willie and Hammer I know of.

19 hours ago, McBackup said:

And?

Vancouver is a great location for sure and beautiful but I'm not sure how many players when they retire opt for Vcr, apart from the Sedins. Quite a few in Kelowna/Vernon area I'm lead to believe. Strangely enough, in my opinion, a lot seem to settle in St  L.. Right now between tent cities and street people openly doing drugs along with that article today showing rats running wild in the back steets, some of the shine is getting pretty thin. Politicians who do nothing about these problems but flap their lips doesn't hold hope for the future. IMO

20 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Vancouver is a great location for sure and beautiful but I'm not sure how many players when they retire opt for Vcr, apart from the Sedins. Quite a few in Kelowna/Vernon area I'm lead to believe. Strangely enough, in my opinion, a lot seem to settle in St  L.. Right now between tent cities and street people openly doing drugs along with that article today showing rats running wild in the back steets, some of the shine is getting pretty thin. Politicians who do nothing about these problems but flap their lips doesn't hold hope for the future. IMO

Again, I don’t understand your point. Lots of players choose to remain in Vancouver, but when they retire, they can go elsewhere. That’s part of retiring. That’s not what the article is about though.

The article: “The players like Vancouver”

You: “Yeah but what about these negative aspects to Vancouver?”

What about them? Does that mean the players *don’t* like Vancouver?

If the Miami Herald put out an article saying “The Dolphins players love to call Miami home” and I responded “Uhm actually Miami gets too hot and has a crime problem”, what does that mean? The Miami Dolphins aren’t allowed to like it there because it has drawbacks? Everywhere has drawbacks.

4 minutes ago, McBackup said:

Again, I don’t understand your point. Lots of players choose to remain in Vancouver, but when they retire, they can go elsewhere. That’s part of retiring. That’s not what the article is about though.

The article: “The players like Vancouver”

You: “Yeah but what about these negative aspects to Vancouver?”

What about them? Does that mean the players *don’t* like Vancouver?

If the Miami Herald put out an article saying “The Dolphins players love to call Miami home” and I responded “Uhm actually Miami gets too hot and has a crime problem”, what does that mean? The Miami Dolphins aren’t allowed to like it there because it has drawbacks? Everywhere has drawbacks.

Nothing to add. I moved here because I like the place but I wouldn't be so bold as to suggest every one likes it. There are drawbacks but folks are seemingly intimidated to discuss. From my perspective in a career that's short in time  I'd go for where I could net out the most in case of injury of declining skills

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

McLean, Linden immediately come to mind.

On 4/9/2023 at 8:23 PM, BarnBurner said:

True, and I've lived in Calgary and Toronto during the winter, and I'll take Vancouver weather any day. 

I've experienced winters from late October till late May. Never again! 

You don't "LIVE" in Calgary - you "EXIST" in Calgary, a city of endless strip malls, boulevards, sterile looking cookie-cutter sprawling communities of poorly built, double walled cardboard & plastic strip - mass produced  Army Base style living barracks slapped up by greedy, overnight builders - who's sole goal in life is to build the cheapest houses as fast as possible then fold the business and retire in BC - (which is everyones life-long goal in Alberta), with no trees, birds, insects or other signs of life in a brown barren moonscape of emptiness where everyone is from somewhere else and so transient that you'll only make friends for a year or two before they've had enougn and move out and ruled by their one & only Industry that never lets you forget that this is a "one-Trick Pony" industry town and where if you say anything bad about that industry, the ruling far right (off the charts) extremist party, or anything about the environment, you'll be shunned and become an outcast - because everyone MUST think the same - or else!  Besides, Calgary is known as the "last place of hope" if you don't fit in or can't make it in life anywhere else and/or if you're running away from your past.   Just dig into anyones past from Calgary and that will be confirmed!

...........and Toronto is simply like living in a STRESS factory - rumoured that hell is a better place to be. With overpopulation, people rushing around everywhere that never look you in the eyes, line ups for everything, high cost, no natural beauty anywhere - just ugly concrete & glass overpricesd buildings in a city where you burn up in the sweltering extremely humid unbareable summer heat for 4 months of the year and where the sky stays a perpetual light grey colour from all the pollution generated from all the factories and millions of cars from Hamilton to Ajax.  The entire southern part of downtown (from Dundas south) smells like Raw Sewage and rat urine all summer long and many of the suburbs are home to numerous large unsafe ghettos that  leave you wondering if you're actually still in Canada.  .....and good luck trying to escape the city on the weekend with 3-5 hour regular bumper to bumper 150km long line ups on the #400, #401, #404 and other highways guaranteed - if there are no accidents and the worse part is that your team is "The Leafs" !

Sorry, but I'll stick with Vancouver.....

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Nothing to add. I moved here because I like the place but I wouldn't be so bold as to suggest every one likes it. There are drawbacks but folks are seemingly intimidated to discuss. From my perspective in a career that's short in time  I'd go for where I could net out the most in case of injury of declining skills

Nobody is saying EVERYONE has to love Vancouver. They’re saying they love it and this thread is celebrating their home. People are acutely aware that it has flaws just, like everywhere else. There is a reason “Utopia” translates directly to “No Place”, because nowhere is perfect.

People are allowed to like where they live. You aren’t making revelations they’re unaware of. Just like people from Toronto, Montreal, Calgary or wherever are allowed to like where they live. If there was a bunch of Calgarians talking about how much they love their home, and I say “Uhm actually I know you guys aren’t aware of this, but Calgary is a strip mall larping as a dude ranch” it doesn’t mean they don’t want to accept this high truth I’m sharing with them when they give me a weird look. 

If I made a post on social media and said “I love my girlfriend she’s beautiful” and someone comes along and comments “She’s okay looking but her teeth are crooked and she dresses weird”, that’s not them pointing out things I’ve never noticed or don’t want to accept, that’s them trying to get me to change my feelings because they disagree.

Edited by McBackup

So to add to my point about how what makes a location “nice” is completely subjective, I am currently sitting in a bar in Edmonton. Is Edmonton a “nice” city? No, not a chance. But you know what? I think it’s nicer than Calgary, and most people seem to think Calgary is Alberta’s “nice” city. I think it shows it isn’t that cut and dry.

• Cheers 3

On 4/9/2023 at 6:04 PM, Canuck You said:

Yes, My home also and wouldn't change it.

I feel somewhat vindicated when I argued with so many folks that Miller loves it here and would want to stay before he re-signed here. I had multiple posters telling me no way that was happening, he is American and has no ties to this place, he would go for the money. They would continue with that he would go to an US city and would pay less in taxes. I had so many arguments, about the quality of life here for his family, natural beauty, tame winter weather and his connection to the fans and teammates. I even posted his family photos being happy here…..but kept getting shut down, lol! 

Animated GIF

JT ended up taking less than market and signed for only 7 years versus an 8 year extension. 

Miller Time Beer GIF by Miller Lite GIFs

Look at how that off season ended up. Johnny G chases after the bucks for 9.75M per 7 years with a garbage US based team. Hubs at around the same age as JT signs for an 8 year extension at a whopping 10.5M per! 

Van city has its issues with the drugs, homelessness and high cost of living but it is still better than most other NHL cities. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, McBackup said:

So to add to my point about how what makes a location “nice” is completely subjective, I am currently sitting in a bar in Edmonton. Is Edmonton a “nice” city? No, not a chance. But you know what? I think it’s nicer than Calgary, and most people seem to think Calgary is Alberta’s “nice” city. I think it shows it isn’t that cut and dry.

I actually like Red Deer better than both.