The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Changing the draft lottery

Rate this topic

UnkNuk

1 hour ago, goog16 said:

I don't like that idea...I would rather all the teams that don't make the playoffs have one ticket and a draw to determine the order they pick.All teams would have the same odds at the number one pick.This is fair and would eliminate tanking!!

The problem with that proposal, I think, is that the purpose of the draft is to help the really bad teams get better, for the sake of their franchise and for the sake of the league.  So you want to give the really bad teams a better chance of getting the higher picks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

The problem with that proposal, I think, is that the purpose of the draft is to help the really bad teams get better, for the sake of their franchise and for the sake of the league.  So you want to give the really bad teams a better chance of getting the higher picks.

But then franchises like Arizona which constantly drafts near the bottom of the league get good picks and spend to the bare minimum of the cap...how does this help them and why should these teams get that advantage of a better pick???

Teams in that 6-16 range who are too good to be bad but not good enough to make the playoffs deserve better than the current draft which rewards failure and tanking!!!

Edited by goog16

1 hour ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Not sure I'd want to count the lottery odds of our team being entirely dependant on the success of another in the playoffs.

Canucks luck would mean that we get pair with a team like the 2019 Tampa Bay Lightning, a dominant team in the regular season expecting to go deep or even win the cup, only to watch them loose in the first round series in a 4 game sweep.

1 hour ago, Hard_As_Ice said:

Last overall should have 0% AT FIRST OVERALL PICK.This creates a race AWAY from the bottom.Give last 3rd overall pick.

You know, that's actually an interesting idea.   Teams might still want to tank but not tank too much.  Which might be difficult to pull off.

27 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Canucks luck would mean that we get pair with a team like the 2019 Tampa Bay Lightning, a dominant team in the regular season expecting to go deep or even win the cup, only to watch them loose in the first round series in a 4 game sweep.

Well, if nothing else, think about how entertaining CDC would be under those circumstances.    :ph34r:

1 hour ago, goog16 said:

But then franchises like Arizona which constantly drafts near the bottom of the league get good picks and spend to the bare minimum of the cap...how does this help them and why should these teams get that advantage of a better pick???

But how many franchises like Arizona are there?

1 hour ago, goog16 said:

Teams in that 6-16 range who are too good to be bad but not good enough to make the playoffs deserve better than the current draft which rewards failure and tanking!!!

I'm open to the idea of adjusting the lottery percentages for the non-playoff teams.

But, for the fans' sake, I still like the idea of every team, playoff and non-playoff, having a stake in the outcome of the playoffs.

How about the bottom two teams in each division are seeded 1-8. Then the lottery would go back to draw the first three picks. Everyone of the eight teams gets one ball in the hopper. Those bad teams, who really need top picks, would then have a three in eight chance of walking away with a top three pick.

This year, the list would be

Det    80    

Mon  68

Phi    71

CBJ  56

Ari     69

Chi    56

SJS   60

Ana

10 hours ago, Hard_As_Ice said:

Last overall should have 0% AT FIRST OVERALL PICK.This creates a race AWAY from the bottom.Give last 3rd overall pick.

Love this idea,..

Think the other option that has been discussed, was only be able to draft top 4-5 twice in a 4 year span... 

All these changes were made because Oilers sucked year after year after year..... Funnily enough they got McD by winning the lottery, not by finishing bottom of the pile.

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Love this idea,..

Think the other option that has been discussed, was only be able to draft top 4-5 twice in a 4 year span... 

All these changes were made because Oilers sucked year after year after year..... Funnily enough they got McD by winning the lottery, not by finishing bottom of the pile.

If we didn't draft EP and QHs i'd be a little peeved about how many spots and how often we slipped.    It is a little Canuck luck that they changed the rules after we ascended from the bottom dwelling years.    Only the top two picks up for grabs now.   Changed the odds and made a rule about how many first overalls any team can get over a period of time (lotto wins).   Bad teams need those picks.   Much more than middle of the row teams. 

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Eddie said:

I personally think the best ways to fix it based on the issues seen over the last 10 years or so ( especially those affecting the Canucks) 

1. Raise the draft age. Allowing players to develop further and somewhat reducing the risk associated with high picks is a surefire way of seeing teams that pick high improve their team in a more immediate time frame. Covid was the perfect time to have done this - ride the 19 draft class out a year ( or even two !! ) and then reset in 22 - but Noooooo. Higher draft age is better for players, fans and teams. Of course ELC system would have to change but I think its totally doable without the players taking a loss.  

2. Add 'Bad Luck Protection' which has become commonplace in many gambling circles.  Every year you don't win the lottery you were entered into you receive a boost to your odds the next time you have a lottery pick. Details around when it resets, how it caps / increase, how it tie breaks etc are all up for debate. 

3. Draft lottery order is decided by a panel based on statistical analysis and expert opinion on strength of the roster, pool etc. The reasoning is then published and possibly can even be challenged. This could possibly help combat 'tanking', over ripening etc and make the overall picture fairer based on the strength of the draft class and the needs of organizations. On paper, this sounds like it could solve a lot of problems - but the fairness of the selection process would always be up for debate. 

I think personally 1 and 2 are the most logical next steps based on what is common in other industries and sports. Of course it would also have made our lives better over the last 10 years too, so not a completely unbiased approach.  That being said I think statistically we have now been screwed the most by the new Draft Lottery - Thanks Oilers

Increasing the draft age, 100%

• Cheers 1

I have an idea, but not sure how feasible it is.

Have the 3 worst teams play each other Memorial Cup style.  The Winner gets the best odds or just wins the 1st pick outright.

Have the next set of 3 worst teams do the same.  Winner gets second best odds or just wins the 2nd pick outright.

Maybe a 3rd set for the 3rd overall pick?

The losers in the 1st overall tier ends up with the 4 and 5th best odds/pick.  2nd tier losers get 6th and 7th odds/pick.  3rd tier losers get 8th and 9th odds/pick.  Finishing 10th guarantees the 10th best odds/pick.

The curreny standings would see the tiers set up like this.

1st. CBJ v CHI v ANA 

2nd. SJ v MTL v ARI 

3rd. PHI v VAN v WASH 

3 venues could be selected for each tier prior to the season for the Draft Lottery Tournament.  

So maybe not exactly as I suggested, but its based around if teams want to tank for the bottom 3, then you better be good enough to win the 1st pick/odds or you drop out of the top 3 picks/odds.

Edited by TheQuietQuitter

On 4/10/2023 at 4:45 PM, stawns said:

No offense, but that is a ridiculous idea.  The draft should be a 5 team lottery, that's it!  No more of these teams jumping 5+ spots into a lottery pick.

Yes, no more good teams getting a top 5 when they don't need it. Bottom 5 teams for Bedard only. Then order of finish.