The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 Canucks end of season media availability

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

13 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

You don’t get it.

PA is the GM and runs the daily routine.

JR is more like the adviser. 

Hence why I said the entire group needs to go. Rutherford was the one who opening sabotaged Boudreau to the media though. That's not acceptable in any organization of any kind.

15 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Rutherford did neglect to fix the blueline and got rid of the competent assistants. He then proceeded to spew his garbage to the media.  Bottom line is that his misconduct was not something that any player should tolerate, and should have been grounds for immediate termination of employment.  The team won't succeed until this waste of oxygen is replaced with someone who deserves respect.

Brad Shaw and Scott Walker left on their own recognizance. JR never fired them. 

As for the defence, Benning is the one who brought in Myers and OEL with those horrific untradeable contracts.  Not even God could have gotten rid of them. Rutherford’s hands were tied by Benning’s incompetence. 

Once BO was traded JR was able to actually acquire a legit top 4 Dman with the assets acquired in the trade.  They also did well with the NCAA signings. And will do more in the summer. 

The only bright spot to this horrific season was Boudreau’s pond hockey allowed Horvat to have a career year, pad his stats and ultimately allow JR to trade him for a top 4 RHD plus other assets as well. 

• Cheers 4

13 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

That's right. They can go start one on Long Island! :lol: 

Half kidding aside, I completely agree with you. There has to be accountability and it starts with Tocchet. 

It's got to be the same accountability across the board, which I didn't see.  I saw Kuz unfairly targeted as an "example".

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Brad Shaw and Scott Walker left on their own recognizance. JR never fired them. 

As for the defence, Benning is the one who brought in Myers and OEL with those horrific untradeable contracts.  Not even God could have gotten rid of them. Rutherford’s hands were tied by Benning’s incompetence. 

Once BO was traded JR was able to actually acquire a legit top 4 Dman with the assets acquired in the trade.  They also did well with the NCAA signings. And will do more in the summer. 

The only bright spot to this horrific season was Boudreau’s pond hockey allowed Horvat to have a career year, pad his stats and ultimately allow JR to trade him for a top 4 RHD plus other assets as well. 

Management group has so far been 8/10 in my opinion. 
they’d be 9/10, but dock a point for how they handled Boudreau. 

in terms of their moves their hit rate has been insane. Kuzmenko, Bear, Mikheyev, Aman, Hirose basically free acquisitions. Then moving out Bo for Hronek. 

10/10 if they can move out Myers and Boeser and bring in Gavrikov + a 3C. 

God-tier/10 if they can move OEL. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1
  • elephant 1

7 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Head games?  You don't know that.  Tocchet hasn't said what his non-negotiables are and I'm not a hockey coach.  The important part is that the non-negotiables have to be applied evenly to every player.  We can all understand that much.  Each player must be approached in an effective way for that player so that they understand.  I'm sure that Gonchar speaks Russian well so the language issue doesn't cut it.

I would suggest that for his entire life, Kuzmenko hasn't been asked to play defense or perhaps, he has been allowed to get away with not being responsible.  He will come around eventually.   

I didn't see anything from Kuz that indicated he was defensively deficient, nor did I see him do things that other players didn't do.  

When one player is held up as an example and punished for things others players also, yet aren't held accountable, yes, you are playing head games.

In this case, it cost Kuz a 40g rookie season 

• There it is 1

46 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Pretty hard to get the best results from your team when your GM is actively sabotaging you.  Rutherford should have been fired on the spot the minute it became apparent that he was simply unwilling to conduct himself appropriately.

I would suggest that ownership submarined Rutherford by hiring a coach before the person who is responsible for the management of the club.  And then he gave that coach control over his second year.  

I'm not making excuses for Rutherford's poor behavior but I can certainly see the crappy position he was put in.  

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

I would suggest that ownership submarined Rutherford by hiring a coach before the person who is responsible for the management of the club.  And then he gave that coach control over his second year.  

I'm not making excuses for Rutherford's poor behavior but I can certainly see the crappy position he was put in.  

I agree and I never understood why you'd hire a coach before a management group.  That said, I believe it was reported that FA consulted JR about BB before hiring him......I could be wrong there though

53 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Ya. Bear pretty much said as much. Whether RT bringing in a level of accountability or Bo being traded there seemed to be a more united roster. I realize that the post season media scrum is an opportunity for serious ass kissing but most of the key players had thoughtful comments, especially Miller. 

I was surprised, to be honest, that the Canucks performed as well after the Horvat trade as before.  Trade your top goal scorer at the time and not miss a beat.  Makes you wonder.

• elephant 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree and I never understood why you'd hire a coach before a management group.  That said, I believe it was reported that FA consulted JR about BB before hiring him......I could be wrong there though

He consulted JR but neglected to mention that the contract had a second year option.  

• There it is 2

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

I didn't see anything from Kuz that indicated he was defensively deficient, nor did I see him do things that other players didn't do.  

When one player is held up as an example and punished for things others players also, yet aren't held accountable, yes, you are playing head games.

In this case, it cost Kuz a 40g rookie season 

Well, Kuz played with the hottest player against the Coyotes and would have scored himself so why do you keep pushing this agenda? 
Kuz got two assists and it could easily be two goals.

Edited by Timråfan
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I don't think they're buying out OEL.  It's a really crappy buy out to make and it's not just the cash, it's dealing with north of $2M of dead cap for 4 additional years.

If OEL can train in the summer, show up to camp fit, and we can see the player we saw 2 years ago, I think we can deal with the over payment for 4 more years.  That's the 2nd best scenario.  Obviously, the best situation is to trade him (even with a certain amount retained)

Buying out OEL is an awful move that is basically only helpful for next year.  Even if they waited for one more year, the cap savings for the next 3 would be greater and the dead cap at the end would be lower.  The dead cap would also end one year sooner. 

An incredibly short-sighted move if they do it.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think that's true.  I remember JR saying that having a "feel good" players coach would help the Canucks at that time and obviously it did.  Over time, he saw that the Canucks were in a worse situation than he thought and that they really needed a coach who brought a well structured approach.  We have seen that this also is true.

• There it is 1

29 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's got to be the same accountability across the board, which I didn't see.  I saw Kuz unfairly targeted as an "example".

Agreed. I thought it was pretty horse manure. 

Baby Brock is absolute crap defensively and gets coddled  and treated with kid gloves. While Kuzz gets the dog house. 

12 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I think the only non-fluent speakers were Kuzmenko and Mikheyev.  They... are going to be fine.

Pettersson often pauses to think of what to say, Hronek is obviously not a good English speaker. But maybe not so much here  but on Facebook omg people were like oh man these guys have terrible personalities or they aren't happy to be here.

Or maybe they aren't comfortable public speaking in a language that isn't their native tongue 

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I wonder what players were saying about Boudreau during last year's media availability. Lol. The thing is, management never supported or believed in Boudreau. When you cut someone's legs out from beneath them, you can't get mad when they fall. Boudreau isn't a bad coach like people claim. Tocchet had the easy portion of the schedule, a healthy Demko, the full support of management and no pressure to win games. He was setup to succeed. Not saying he's a bad coach, but lets be real. They put him in a way better position than they put Boudreau.

You can probably find something from last years media availability on line somewhere.  After the way the team performed the 2nd half of last year, I doubt that players would have been complaining about Bruce.

I think that Bruce coaches in a way that suits a mature team where players hold each other accountable.  Tocchet is holding them accountable.  This is more what a younger team needs.

• Cheers 2