The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

On 8/2/2023 at 5:33 PM, BabychStache said:

As much as I'd like to disagree with this, I can't. I was hopeful Horvat was that guy, then he went soft.

Even our BEST teams had a few of those guys: Linden, Luongo, Burrows, Hamhuis, Mitchell. 

Maybe it's Beauvillier? 

D-Petey take one of those spots.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Because Bergeron.

I'd argue until i'm blue in the face that Lidstrom was a lucky guy given his best competition aged out, just had Pronger and Niedermayer (not that they weren't great too)...  Bergeron.   Sometimes people get lazy and just stop watching other people and go with the flow.   Centers get extra credit.   A lot harder to win a Selke as a winger. 

7 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

He’s almost as good as Datsyuk. Datsyuk was the most incredible player to watch imo. The things he could do and how exceptional he was at stealing pucks….

But ya I’d agree Stone is the best the last 10 yeara, idk how the hell Stone hasnt won a god damn Selke.

He came close twice. Once in 2019 when Ryan O’Reilly won it. Probably could have been either guy but they chose the centre. He finished 2nd ahead of Bergeron.  And then in 2021 when they gave it to Barkov. I think he got robbed in 2021. He had better numbers than both Barkov and Bergeron but finished 3rd behind both of them. Again, they gave it to a centre. 

So he was close those 2 years and one year O’Reilly won it and the other year it was Bergeron. Only 3-4 wingers have ever won the Selke trophy. So they usually favour the centre if its close. 

Pettersson, Hischier, Hintz and Barkov are probably the 4 guys moving forward who will battle it out for the Selke. I think Petey will win it one day soon. In the next 2-3 years for sure. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He came close twice. Once in 2019 when Ryan O’Reilly won it. Probably could have been either guy but they chose the centre. He finished 2nd ahead of Bergeron.  And then in 2021 when they gave it to Barkov. I think he got robbed in 2021. He had better numbers than both Barkov and Bergeron but finished 3rd behind both of them. Again, they gave it to a centre. 

So he was close those 2 years and one year O’Reilly won it and the truth other year it was Bergeron. Only 3-4 wingers have ever won the Selke trophy. So they usually favour the centre of its close. 

Pettersson, Hischier, Hintz and Barkov are probably the 4 guys moving forward who will battle it out for the Selke. I think Petey will win it one day soon. In the next 2-3 years for sure. 

stone moving forward will never win a selke... the issue with him is availability.. he's always on the IR.. missed half the season each of the past 2 season.. he only have 3 out of his last 7 seasons where he played almost all the games.. and 2 of them were shortened seasons.. so who knows he'd prolly be injured eventually and be magically out till the playoff haha

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

stone moving forward will never win a selke... the issue with him is availability.. he's always on the IR.. missed half the season each of the past 2 season.. he only have 3 out of his last 7 seasons where he played almost all the games.. and 2 of them were shortened seasons.. so who knows he'd prolly be injured eventually and be magically out till the playoff haha

I don’t think Stone has a chance anymore. Not with Hischier, Petey and Hintz around now. Too many good young centres around. And then you have Marner who’s a winger. 

Plus, like you said Stone has been injured a lot and he may never play a full season again with his back issue. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don’t think Stone has a chance anymore. Not with Hischier, Petey and Hintz around now. Too many good young centres around. And then you have Marner who’s a winger. 

Plus, like you said Stone has been injured a lot and he may never play a full season again with his back issue. 

i dont think EP will ever win it unless he gets his FO% closer to 50%. it sucks but because he is a center that's part of his job unlike marner who doesn't have to deal with faceoff. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

i dont think EP will ever win it unless he gets his FO% closer to 50%. it sucks but because he is a center that's part of his job unlike marner who doesn't have to deal with faceoff. 

I kinda disagree… dont get me wrong, I do agree faceoffs are important… but at the same time, I feel it has too much of an influence on Selke votes imo. The faceoff is a 50/50 and its not defensive in the sense that there is no danger or possession. To me, its what you do without the puck to get it back that is what is most critical and gets overlooked especially because the Selke, like most voted awards has so much influence from overall team success/depth. That and it also has that reputation influence as well. If you look at the Selke award, I believe only once has it ever been handed out to player who was not on a playoff team (Bergeron of course) Boston was still a tough team that year they went 41-27-14 thats still a very good team that barely missed playoffs. But if you really look at it, when you have a shutdown line AND THEN Bergeron on top of it, it makes it so much more exhausting. Then you gotta deal with Chara and to add to all that its Timmy Tits in net, those are the kind of things that leave an impression on Bergeron’s impact. No one remembers the shutdown lines. For example Jay Beagle, one of the best shutdown C’s. Very high FOW% tons of blocked shots, extremely difficult to score or get any chances on net when that guy is on the ice, very high dZS%…. But never gets any real recognition. The guy had a career 27.7%oZS and a .914oiSV% and a 56.7%FOW and a 38.2% CORSI… like if you really digest those numbers, thats f***ing incredible.

Bergeron had a 51.9% oZS 58.9%FOW 59.3%CORSI .909oiSV%… yea those are great numbers, but Jay Beagle’s numbers are insane. To have a 73% dzone start and a .914oiSV% and a nearly 40% CORSI is truly remarkable and thats going against strong competition. He also was above .930oiSV% 4 times in his career….. in all situations… as a PK guy and sub 40%oZS THATS INSANE.

anyhoo… theres way too much influence on that award, among others.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

I kinda disagree… dont get me wrong, I do agree faceoffs are important… but at the same time, I feel it has too much of an influence on Selke votes imo. The faceoff is a 50/50 and its not defensive in the sense that there is no danger or possession. To me, its what you do without the puck to get it back that is what is most critical and gets overlooked especially because the Selke, like most voted awards has so much influence from overall team success/depth. That and it also has that reputation influence as well. If you look at the Selke award, I believe only once has it ever been handed out to player who was not on a playoff team (Bergeron of course) Boston was still a tough team that year they went 41-27-14 thats still a very good team that barely missed playoffs. But if you really look at it, when you have a shutdown line AND THEN Bergeron on top of it, it makes it so much more exhausting. Then you gotta deal with Chara and to add to all that its Timmy Tits in net, those are the kind of things that leave an impression on Bergeron’s impact. No one remembers the shutdown lines. For example Jay Beagle, one of the best shutdown C’s. Very high FOW% tons of blocked shots, extremely difficult to score or get any chances on net when that guy is on the ice, very high dZS%…. But never gets any real recognition. The guy had a career 27.7%oZS and a .914oiSV% and a 56.7%FOW and a 38.2% CORSI… like if you really digest those numbers, thats f***ing incredible.

Bergeron had a 51.9% oZS 58.9%FOW 59.3%CORSI .909oiSV%… yea those are great numbers, but Jay Beagle’s numbers are insane. To have a 73% dzone start and a .914oiSV% and a nearly 40% CORSI is truly remarkable and thats going against strong competition. He also was above .930oiSV% 4 times in his career….. in all situations… as a PK guy and sub 40%oZS THATS INSANE.

anyhoo… theres way too much influence on that award, among others.

i mean the award overtime have evolved into best 2 way forward no longer best defensive forward hence guys like beagle and such will never get recognition. i still think faceoff at least for a center plays a big part in the selke voting and in a away work against EP.

another thing that'll work against EP is Hirshier, Marner, barkov etc all plays significantly more PK mins than EP. barkov alone takes almost 150 more faceoff than EP on the PK alone in 12 less games.. basically they rarely put EP out on the PK to start and try not to put EP out on a defensive draw on the pk after a whistle.. EP is not the guy the canucks put out there in the last min of a game defending a lead if the faceoff is in the defensive zone.. 95% of the time it's Miller or Horvat and now mostly miller. i love EP and i hope he wins the selke one day.. but until he improves his faceoff where he can be more relied on for PK and defensive zone draws.. all of those guys will edge out EP unless he is lights out and heads and shoulder above others in all the other categories

• Cheers 1

On 8/2/2023 at 8:33 AM, BabychStache said:

As much as I'd like to disagree with this, I can't. I was hopeful Horvat was that guy, then he went soft.

Even our BEST teams had a few of those guys: Linden, Luongo, Burrows, Hamhuis, Mitchell. 

Maybe it's Beauvillier? 

Ive been saying this for years.  We need several more canadians on this team at minimum for us to have any success.  

Canadians have the X factor, the extra gear that no other nationality has when it comes to hockey.  No one is going to put a team on their back and take the fight to the other team the way a Canadian is.   

Edited by EddieVedder
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

Ive been saying this for years.  We need several more canadians on this team at minimum for us to have any success.  

Canadians have the X factor, the extra gear that no other nationality has when it comes to hockey.  No one is going to put a team on their back and take the fight to the other team the way a Canadian is.   

Lol we don’t just need any Canadian.. we need Canadian that is a core player.. not easy to get.. a bottom 6 grinder or a bottom pairing defenceman ain’t gonna make a difference 

13 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

12 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Lol we don’t just need any Canadian.. we need Canadian that is a core player.. not easy to get.. a bottom 6 grinder or a bottom pairing defenceman ain’t gonna make a difference 

5 hours ago, McBackup said:

Agreed. There is no way we could have won with the Sedins, or Naslund. Kesler was a loser who mailed it in during the playoffs. We need dedicated Canadian players who have an indomitable will and give their all for this team, like Canuck legend Mark Messier.

I'd argue you need Canadians, but every cup winner also has a non Canadian in their immediate core group.  Problem is the Canucks don't have any Canadian in the core lol

If the Canucks do not have make the playoffs and have a great season, I sadly believe Petey is not going to re-up here. His remarks during the last contract was clear, that he wanted to play for a competitive team that is a contender. 

He won’t be signing anything until he sees how this season plays out. 

JT Miller on the other hand is quite the opposite. He actually has been recently quoted in an interview that was played on 650 where he believes in this team and management. This is why he signed here for long term (he also loves the city). JT believes this team has a lot of greatness that will be unleashed for years to come.

Another reason why I choose JT to be the Captain over Petey.

• Cheers 2

42 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

If the Canucks do not have make the playoffs and have a great season, I sadly believe Petey is not going to re-up here. His remarks during the last contract was clear, that he wanted to play for a competitive team that is a contender. 

JT Miller on the other hand is quite the opposite. He actually has been recently quoted in an interview that was played on 650 where he believes in this team and management. This is why he signed here for long term (he also loves the city). JT believes this team has a lot of greatness that will be unleashed for years to come.

too bad the management didn't make it a priority to get EP signed this summer.. it's so quiet with that regards wonder if they even had any talks at all.. not sure if the management is trying to see if EP will regress so he can sign for less or what's their plan.. we are literally walking into a Matthew Tkatchuk situation where EP have the management by the balls.. Either they give in to whatever he wants.. or trade him to a team he's willing to re-sign with to maximize return.. i dont think the current management is willing to give EP even 11mil.. they'd be luck well miller is only worth 8mil what makes him worth 11... say if we are slightly better next season.. get swept in the first round.. EP wants 12-12.5mil do we just say hell no and tear it all down? coz if we trade EP we are tearing it down.. or do we give in to retain him?? once he file for arbitration it's just a ticking time bomb.. is ep worth 12-12.5mil?? no i don't think so.. he's prolly worth closer to 10.5-11.5 max but unless he views this team as a true contender which they are not and probably won't be the next 3-4 seasons.. i don't see him giving a penny discount.. if he have another 100+ point season.. technically he already given the team the discount by outplaying his cap significantly just we aren't able to capitalize on it.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

too bad the management didn't make it a priority to get EP signed this summer.. it's so quiet with that regards wonder if they even had any talks at all.. not sure if the management is trying to see if EP will regress so he can sign for less or what's their plan.. we are literally walking into a Matthew Tkatchuk situation where EP have the management by the balls.. Either they give in to whatever he wants.. or trade him to a team he's willing to re-sign with to maximize return.. i dont think the current management is willing to give EP even 11mil.. they'd be luck well miller is only worth 8mil what makes him worth 11... say if we are slightly better next season.. get swept in the first round.. EP wants 12-12.5mil do we just say hell no and tear it all down? coz if we trade EP we are tearing it down.. or do we give in to retain him?? once he file for arbitration it's just a ticking time bomb.. is ep worth 12-12.5mil?? no i don't think so.. he's prolly worth closer to 10.5-11.5 max but unless he views this team as a true contender which they are not and probably won't be the next 3-4 seasons.. i don't see him giving a penny discount.. if he have another 100+ point season.. technically he already given the team the discount by outplaying his cap significantly just we aren't able to capitalize on it.

This is a tree falls in the woods thing. Just cause YOU aren't hearing anything doesn't mean things aren't happening in the background. It's clear this group is working hard on keeping stuff under wraps. I am not gonna go full Sekeres and say management isn't doing anything just cause nothing is happening. It's still mid August. It's not like the regular season is just around the corner. As the kids say, let them cook.

• Cheers 3

9 hours ago, grandmaster said:

I don't believe that the Canucks have to have a great year this year (though it would help), but more so, I think Petey wants to see the direction this team is headed before he commits long term - which is fair. The guy has had 3 coaches over the past two seasons, and he's been on a team that has floundered in mediocrity for years. He wants to win. 
I think as long as this team shows it is taking a step in the right direction, he will commit to it. 

• elephant 1

11 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Do any of us really know, what goes on during these negotiations? How hard they are trying or not... ?

A bit early to start complain about managements lack of progress with the Petey contract talks. 
Peteys agent may have said, he wants $15M each year to sign, or maybe only sign a 2-3 year contract... very little management can do then, except A trade him or B continue negotiations, and hope he changes his stance. 
Or maybe they already agreed om a contract but can't find a pen... 

We don't have a clue...

PS. You may even be right, that they don't want to give him a good contract, until they see him in playoff action, which makes it even more important for us and him to be part of the dance next season. 

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 2

46 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Do any of us really know, what goes on during these negotiations? How hard they are trying or not... ?

A bit early to start complain about managements lack of progress with the Petey contract talks. 
Peteys agent may have said, he wants $15M each year to sign, or maybe only sign a 2-3 year contract... very little management can do then, except A trade him or B continue negotiations, and hope he changes his stance. 
Or maybe they already agreed om a contract but can't find a pen... 

We don't have a clue...

PS. You may even be right, that they don't want to give him a good contract, until they see him in playoff action, which makes it even more important for us and him to be part of the dance next season. 

IMG_9446.gif

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, grandmaster said:

I don't really know how much you can gauge Petterson's position based on a one liner soundbite from 2 years ago. I think all players would make similar statements. He never said I will refuse to sign if aren't in the playoffs by 2023. I do get your concern though and it may very well be the case that's it's playoffs or Petey is gone. Not really liking our odds on that though. We're a 7-10 team at the very best in the West, We really need some things to fall our way including all the new faces gelling, and not starting out like dog crap for a third year in a row.

• Cheers 1
  • elephant 1

12 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

This is a tree falls in the woods thing. Just cause YOU aren't hearing anything doesn't mean things aren't happening in the background. It's clear this group is working hard on keeping stuff under wraps. I am not gonna go full Sekeres and say management isn't doing anything just cause nothing is happening. It's still mid August. It's not like the regular season is just around the corner. As the kids say, let them cook.

Exactly. I'm not sure why people think they should be privy to private conversations behind closed doors. There could be any number of tings going on with that. Maybe he's 90% close to signing, maybe he told them he's not negotiating this summer at all, maybe he's already decided he wants out, maybe PA is playing hardball. Point is no one knows. One thing is certain, they haven't not realized how important it is. The rest is just wild speculation and as you mentioned this regime has been very good at keeping things hush hush.

• Cheers 2