The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Elias Pettersson

Well, I would have been mad if it was the other EP and only 3 years. 
Great draft pic by the new group. Wonder what they could do with a full compliment of pics but guess we will never know. 
More EP is better than less. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Pretty much. Unless the Canucks can convince his Swedish team (Örebro) to waive their rights. The teams involved are allowed to have discussions to this effect. However, NHL teams are strictly forbidden from offering any form of payment/incentives (other than the fees described within the transfer agreement) to convince a Swedish club to waive their rights under the transfer agreement and authorize an AHL assignment.

So basically, until Pettersson is 24, he can’t be assigned to the AHL unless his Swedish club approves the move. And the Canucks can’t “bribe” them to do so. All parties would have to agree it’s the best choice for the player’s development and the Swedish club would have to be willing to forego their rights.

EDIT: The silver lining is that Swedish and other European hockey associations have studied this issue in great detail. They have some pretty compelling evidence that developing prospects in their home systems yields better results than sending them to the AHL. There are a couple good studies that were done in the past few years that suggest European players tend to go on to be better players and have better careers this way. So Pettersson may very well have increased odds of eventually becoming a good NHL player for the Canucks by developing in the SHL instead of the AHL.

Those studies would seem to be highly biased, don't you think?  

I remember reading about them a few years back. 

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Pretty much. Unless the Canucks can convince his Swedish team (Örebro) to waive their rights. The teams involved are allowed to have discussions to this effect. However, NHL teams are strictly forbidden from offering any form of payment/incentives (other than the fees described within the transfer agreement) to convince a Swedish club to waive their rights under the transfer agreement and authorize an AHL assignment.

So basically, until Pettersson is 24, he can’t be assigned to the AHL unless his Swedish club approves the move. And the Canucks can’t “bribe” them to do so. All parties would have to agree it’s the best choice for the player’s development and the Swedish club would have to be willing to forego their rights.

EDIT: The silver lining is that Swedish and other European hockey associations have studied this issue in great detail. They have some pretty compelling evidence that developing prospects in their home systems yields better results than sending them to the AHL. There are a couple good studies that were done in the past few years that suggest European players tend to go on to be better players and have better careers this way. So Pettersson may very well have increased odds of eventually becoming a good NHL player for the Canucks by developing in the SHL instead of the AHL.

Good insight, it’s an interesting dynamic of the NCAA and euro league development path have guys play skilled roles but also test themselves against older more physically developed players.   D-Petey seems ahead of the curve for an 19 year old in physical development so will be curious if it takes a lot more than 1 more year in Europe.

3 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

Haha, what if we DID sign EP40 to a 3 year, 950K deal, and then he walked away. Would you take that over an 8x11m deal? It would mean a ton of extra money for 3 seasons... could we win a cup in that time?

No, not even close. 

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

What happens if this year, or more likely the next, he makes the team out of camp. Then part way through the year, because of slump or what not, they want to send him down to get more minutes.

Do we have to send him to Sweden at this point? Make him sit in the box? Or can we send him to Abbottsford to play 20 minutes a night instead of five?