The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Elias Pettersson

50 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Adding the first name and last name in the title isn't good enough?

:bigblush:

Since Vancouver actually CAN'T re-sign the other Pettersson until July 1st, it's not really that misleading.

• Vintage 1

LOL the older one isn't going to sign an ELC. He can't...

That this one wants to come to Vancouver to train with the Canucks staff, even though he is going back to Sweden to play (which is fine, it worked with the older one) is fantastic news and confirmation that at last ONE prospect gets the message from the coach about having a "good summer".

14 minutes ago, mordekai said:

If he isn’t coming til the year after why sign him now? So he can come train in Vancouver this summer?

So he gets a nice $95K signing bonus to help him live comfortably for the year and focus on hockey?

• Cheers 2

Just now, tan said:

make me wonder how the number and name working on the jersery??

My guess is Pettersson and E. Pettersson.  I was too young to remember what the Canucks did when they had to Greg Adams'.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

With the SHL transfer agreement are we stuck developing d Petey in Sweden until we deem him NHL ready?

Pretty much. Unless the Canucks can convince his Swedish team (Örebro) to waive their rights. The teams involved are allowed to have discussions to this effect. However, NHL teams are strictly forbidden from offering any form of payment/incentives (other than the fees described within the transfer agreement) to convince a Swedish club to waive their rights under the transfer agreement and authorize an AHL assignment.

So basically, until Pettersson is 24, he can’t be assigned to the AHL unless his Swedish club approves the move. And the Canucks can’t “bribe” them to do so. All parties would have to agree it’s the best choice for the player’s development and the Swedish club would have to be willing to forego their rights.

EDIT: The silver lining is that Swedish and other European hockey associations have studied this issue in great detail. They have some pretty compelling evidence that developing prospects in their home systems yields better results than sending them to the AHL. There are a couple good studies that were done in the past few years that suggest European players tend to go on to be better players and have better careers this way. So Pettersson may very well have increased odds of eventually becoming a good NHL player for the Canucks by developing in the SHL instead of the AHL.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1