The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you cheer for any Canadian teams bc they are Canadian?

Rate this topic

Do you cheer for any Canadian teams bc they are Canadian ?  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Not necessarily. As I posted earlier, Minnesota counts as much as a Canadian team imo

Not necessarily what? I AM supposed to cheer for Canadian teams and Minnesota? Why? I owe zero fealty to these markets. I don't care that they also like hockey.

Don't you think it is a waste for the Stanley cup to be awarded to cities where hockey is their 3rd or 4th tier sport ? To them , hockey is similar to how we see the local lacrosse team. Whatever it is these days. Nobody cares. 

No I don't think it's "a waste". It matters to the fans in those markets. Stop with this gatekeeping bullshit.

Some of these teams that are winning cups shouldn't even exist. They are living off of the subsidy from the real teams. The people who are paying, who care the most, should win the cups. 

Agreed, let's just fold all the other teams and award the cup to the Leafs every year. That way it makes the fans in the biggest hockey market the happiest. It won't make much difference in terms of coverage anyway. 

Edited by McBackup

Maybe weird for me to budge in seeing as I'm neither Canadian or live in Canada but being a fan of a Canadian team for almost 20 years, I do have Canada vs USA bias. 

I just want the Canucks to win. I want Vancouver to be the team and city that breaks the curse. If some other Canadian team wins a cup it kinda ruins that dream of mine I guess. I always pictured it that way ever since I was a kid. The run in '11, it felt like we were vilified by everyone. It's hard for me to forget that. Nobody else wanted us to win.  

I cheer against teams so I'm rooting for the Kings knocking the Oilers out, Florida knocking Boston out etc. That's the only time I care about a certain team other than the Canucks ever winning something. I prefer some teams winning over others. 

• Like 1

I want the cup back in Canada, hasn't been one here since Bettman became the fulltime commissioner.
The Canadians won it in 1993, and Bettman was technically the commish, but he took the reigns on Feb 1st - so he wasn't there the full season.

Of course I want it to be the Canucks.
But if they're not in it, then Go JETS GO!

(I was born in Winnipeg and I am a Bombers fan but grew up in Vancouver and the Jets weren't in the NHL when I started cheering for the Canucks)

• Like 1

I do. I cheer for the Leafs because they've lost so many times and they've tried so hard lol. Oilers because McDavid + Drai is spectacular. Jets - not so much, their players feel like a bunch of closest bullies with character issues - Scheifele, Wheeler, Dubois.

Nothing made me happier than to see the Leafs get spanked in game 1.  All those frowning faces in the crowd just made me smile.  Can't stand them and here's why:  there are so many Leaf fans in Vancouver who have moved here and they come out of the woodwork when the Leafs are here to play.  It seems there are more Leaf sweaters than Canucks and they are louder than Vancouverites.  Also, Canadian media (although this is changing) seems to think that the Leafs are Canada's team; everybody's 2nd favorite;  ABSOLUTELY NOT!  I have nothing against Toronto people but I have a rule, never talk hockey with them.  Otherwise they're nice people.

The Oilers really get my hackles up too.  This goes back to those cocky 80's teams who wouldn't try for 2 periods, let us get ahead maybe, then pot 5 quickies in 10 minutes in the 3rd and win easily going away.  But it wasn't just that, it was their attitude in doing it.  There was a new word invented and that was SMARMY.  People who didn't live thru the 80's don't get it but I will never get over it.  There was some morbid fascination at the Oilers over their bad years.  Like watching a train wreck.  But that is gone now.  I hate the Kings but when matched against the Oilers, I'm cheering for them.

The Flames elicit less strong feelings but ya, I hate them too.  Something about Alberta?  Maybe.

The Habs?  They invade our barn too and I don't like it but they're less obnoxious than Leaf fans.  

The Jets and the Sen's, I'm ambivalent about and will cheer for them.

Cheer is a different thing. I don't mind Ottawa, Winnipeg, or Montreal. This is based on 80's and 90's fan experience. When Montreal was dominant I never got grief from a Montreal fan. In fact I got sympathy that I was a Canucks fan. The battles Vancouver had in the early 90's Temmu Selanne era were always fun. And I was jealous of Winnipeg for getting a player like that. Ottawa just had such a rough go of it, I never minded them at all.

Now. In the mid 80's. I was in Okanagan Falls on vacation. I was surprised the number of Albertans were vacationing in BC. And Flames and Oilers fans were extremely obnoxious. (Goes with Eskimos and Stampeder fans...) About the only thing Flames fans and I had in common was hatred of the Oilers. Toronto fans are just weird. And I partly wonder if its  just the media that's obnoxious. That was until I was at a pub in Toronto. I'm watching the Leafs play Vancouver. There was a very loud Leaf fan. Going on about: The stupid changes in Vancouver jerseys. The history of Vancouver players. The lack of success with the team. I've never been to a bar fight. But I had to leave early once I had my dinner. Because I was going to say something, or start something I'd regret. Like saying "Well we at least didn't have Ballard owning our team..., or 1967 is a long time ago isn't it?"

The funny part is. Part of Toronto's fanbase is actually very knowledgeable. I heard better discussions from kids on their way to school on breaking down Leafs games period by period. (I was living in TO from 1999-2003 in a fit of insanity, and this was discussions overhead on the streetcar). Toronto just keeps the faith no matter how bad things get.

But the media is so insufferable, there is no way I can cheer for them. I admired the Leafs only when Pat Quinn was coaching them. Because I will always respect Pat for how he helped Vancouver as a Player and in Management. (The man shall not be named aside) And I never had an issue with Mats Sundin.

So I don't cheer for a team just because they are Canadian. This is also the reasons why I never cheer for the Raptors. (When the Grizzlies left so did my fandom of basketball) I don't mind NCAA basketball or Football. I used to be a Jays and Expos fan, until the Expos moved. And Rogers goes overboard on Jay's coverage. So I don't cheer for the Jays either. In fact outside of the Vancouver Canadians, baseball is sort of dead to me. Especially since the A's sound like they moving to Vegas.

34 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Nothing made me happier than to see the Leafs get spanked in game 1.  All those frowning faces in the crowd just made me smile.  Can't stand them and here's why:  there are so many Leaf fans in Vancouver who have moved here and they come out of the woodwork when the Leafs are here to play.  It seems there are more Leaf sweaters than Canucks and they are louder than Vancouverites.  Also, Canadian media (although this is changing) seems to think that the Leafs are Canada's team; everybody's 2nd favorite;  ABSOLUTELY NOT!  I have nothing against Toronto people but I have a rule, never talk hockey with them.  Otherwise they're nice people.

The Oilers really get my hackles up too.  This goes back to those cocky 80's teams who wouldn't try for 2 periods, let us get ahead maybe, then pot 5 quickies in 10 minutes in the 3rd and win easily going away.  But it wasn't just that, it was their attitude in doing it.  There was a new word invented and that was SMARMY.  People who didn't live thru the 80's don't get it but I will never get over it.  There was some morbid fascination at the Oilers over their bad years.  Like watching a train wreck.  But that is gone now.  I hate the Kings but when matched against the Oilers, I'm cheering for them.

The Flames elicit less strong feelings but ya, I hate them too.  Something about Alberta?  Maybe.

The Habs?  They invade our barn too and I don't like it but they're less obnoxious than Leaf fans.  

The Jets and the Sen's, I'm ambivalent about and will cheer for them.

SO I have lived in Albertabama since 2012 - BC born and bred lad who misses the "old country" :P - just can't bring myself to cheer for a team who has had so much lottery luck yet still struggles to make it in the playoffs. What I wouldn't give as a Nucks fan for just one first overall pick and these clowns have pissed away how many before they got McDavid. Thing for me is I won't cheer for division rivals - maybe one day that will change but for now I revel in each Oiler loss as I make my way yo work lol.

• Cheers 2

17 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Tampa and Colorado make me sick. They won cups in 2 different eras. 90's/000's and 2010's. Mostly because some pingpongs fell in the right place for them. 

Anyone but those f**kers. 

wait and you cheer for the Oilers now? They had like 6 fall in their favour

46 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

SO I have lived in Albertabama since 2012 - BC born and bred lad who misses the "old country" :P - just can't bring myself to cheer for a team who has had so much lottery luck yet still struggles to make it in the playoffs. What I wouldn't give as a Nucks fan for just one first overall pick and these clowns have pissed away how many before they got McDavid. Thing for me is I won't cheer for division rivals - maybe one day that will change but for now I revel in each Oiler loss as I make my way yo work lol.

Ha ha, my son is at U of A this year and he likes the Oilers.  So impressionable.

• Like 1