The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you cheer for any Canadian teams bc they are Canadian?

Rate this topic

Do you cheer for any Canadian teams bc they are Canadian ?  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have no loyalty to any American team, so when the Canucks are out, I might as well cheer for the Canadian teams.  Except Toronto.  I could never bring myself to cheer for Toronto, even if they were the last team in the country (although the media already reports on them as if they were).

• Cheers 1
  • elephant 1

I don't understand the whining  that 'Canada is out to get us' "The Ipsos Reid survey released today (June 1) found 62 percent of Canadians want Vancouver to win while 11 percent support the rival Boston Bruins. Twenty-seven percent have no opinion."

Anyways back to the poll

I like the Jets Sens and Flame,

Neutral on Leafs and Oilers (it is just so fun to cheer against a room full of them)

Absolutely dispise Habs 

Aside from the obvious Canucks, I picked Jets and Flames (yes I know)....

Jets because they didn't have a team for so long. I've cheered for them since they got their team back.

Flames because I'm most likely moving to Calgary this year and maybe actually be able to go to a couple of games. Canucks will always be number 1 though.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Jets and Sens for me. I'm also cheering for the Oilers and Leafs, but only for this round.

I wouldn't cheer for the Flames or Habs against anyone....and if they were playing each other, I'd be pissed off that they both couldn't lose....

Personally I am hoping for oilers vs. leaves in the SCF.

2 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Tampa and Colorado make me sick. They won cups in 2 different eras. 90's/000's and 2010's. Mostly because some pingpongs fell in the right place for them. 

Anyone but those f**kers. 

Bruins would be the worst for me, followed by Tampa. Colorado felt like 3 eras - for some reason 1996 and 2001 seemed like they were much further apart but I was born in 87 so my perception of time is off. Beat the Canucks in both of those rounds although it wasn’t close haha 

4 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

I remember in the early 2000's , bringing the cup to Canada was a thing. The bars were full and the games were on the main screens when the Flames and Oilers made their runs in 04 and 06. At least they were in the lower mainland. But this all ended after basically all of Canada cheered against us in 2011. Pathetic.

I still meet some Habs and Sens fans that like the Canucks and would probably back us in the playoffs.

For me , still have this urge to cheer for any Canadian team that's still in it. It is the only sentimental thing that can make me care in some cases.

And some American teams like the Hawks , Bruins and Kings, I just hate more than any Canadian team. Even the Oilers. 

I cheer individual series as they happen not throughout playoffs. I usually cheer aga8knst teams or individual players I don’t like. Like Jack Eichel… I am cheering against them! 

3 hours ago, jatylo said:

I don't understand the whining  that 'Canada is out to get us' "The Ipsos Reid survey released today (June 1) found 62 percent of Canadians want Vancouver to win while 11 percent support the rival Boston Bruins. Twenty-seven percent have no opinion."

Anyways back to the poll

I like the Jets Sens and Flame,

Neutral on Leafs and Oilers (it is just so fun to cheer against a room full of them)

Absolutely dispise Habs 

I'd say that data proves the point more so than it doesnt. 

4 hours ago, McBackup said:

Because they're Canadian? No. I will cheer for certain teams who happen to be Canadian over others, but that's more in spite of it than because of it. For example I will cheer for Winnipeg over Vegas in this series because I dislike Vegas a lot more than I dislike Winnipeg, but that's where that ends. The idea of cheering for a team you normally cheer against just because they happen to play within the same country as you has always been absurd to me. If anything I'm less likely to support Canadian teams because of it. 

Not necessarily. As I posted earlier, Minnesota counts as much as a Canadian team imo

Don't you think it is a waste for the Stanley cup to be awarded to cities where hockey is their 3rd or 4th tier sport ? To them , hockey is similar to how we see the local lacrosse team. Whatever it is these days. Nobody cares. 

Some of these teams that are winning cups shouldn't even exist. They are living off of the subsidy from the real teams. The people who are paying, who care the most, should win the cups. 

The Jets are really the only exception, but that’s a really big maybe. After the anti-Canucks hate parade that Ron Maclean and his Make Me Laughs loving crew got the rest of the country to eat up over the course of 2011 I just can’t bring myself to cheer for any other Canadian team come playoff time. 

• There it is 1