The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] This is how we clear cap space!

1 minute ago, MattWN. said:

I could see Pittsburgh being interested, but not sure how that money will make sense. They're going to have a few big holes to fill, both upfront and on the backend. Not to mention Jarry's contract is up, so they're either paying him a hefty raise of going big game hunting at free agency. 

I don't see Myers wanting to go back to winnipeg. 

Both Florida teams could use the depth on the backend, but neither seem to have to space, with bonuses being tacked on next year they'll be in tough to fill out their rosters as it is. 

So who would be on the 10 team no trade list?  I assume the following:

Anaheim

Columbus

Chicago

Arizona

San Jose

Philly

Ottawa

Winnipeg?

There's probably a couple teams that he just doesn't like either.  There's the 10.

Pittsburgh has $21M in cap space next year.  Yes, they need to fill in a lot of their roster, but other than Jarry, most of the key guys are already locked in. 

Florida has $9M in cap space next year.  They need 2 bottom 6 forwards and 2 bottom pair defence.  Could easily see Myers fitting in there.

NJD maybe?  Depending on what happens with Severson and Nemec.  Could be in the market for a 3rd pair guy.

COL?  Erik Johnson's deal is done.  Could be a decent replacement at half the cost on the 3rd pair.

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

Not likely if he doesn't want to go.  

Go to Capfriendly and find the teams with cap space next year and actual real dollars after re-signing their own players who have $3 million to spend on a #5 D.  Take away 10 of them and you get to basically no one very fast.  Then if there happens to be a team with the cap space, budget, and need... try to swing a deal when there are a lot of other players and teams trying to shed cap as well.

Didn't see your post.  Was replying to MattWN's...

But here's a few possibilities:

Pittsburgh has $21M in cap space next year.  Yes, they need to fill in a lot of their roster, but other than Jarry, most of the key guys are already locked in. 

Florida has $9M in cap space next year.  They need 2 bottom 6 forwards and 2 bottom pair defence.  Could easily see Myers fitting in there.

NJD maybe?  Depending on what happens with Severson and Nemec.  Could be in the market for a 3rd pair guy.

COL?  Erik Johnson's deal is done.  Could be a decent replacement at half the cost on the 3rd pair.

50 minutes ago, HKSR said:

TLDR:

Net result...

OUT:  Myers, Beauvillier, Garland or Boeser, 4th Round Pick

IN:  2nd Round Pick

CAP OUT:  $15.1M (if Garland is traded), $16.8M (if Boeser is traded)

Honestly, we could even just stop after Trade #2 and carry on with a cap savings of $10.15M.

Cool ideas and I think very doable. 

Agree with it all, but as you said at the end I think I'd stop after trade #2. I think for trade #3 just wait and I wouldn't be surprised if an interested team in Garland or Boeser comes up during the season and we don't have to pay anything to move them. 

We may even be able move Beau without giving up too much and still get back a pick. 

A few more:

MIN.  Losing Dumba and Klingberg, so unless they want to roll the dice with a couple youngins' in Addison and Faber, a $3M Myers on 1 year might be enticing.

EDM.  Ceci and Bouchard... Desharnais? or maybe some more snarl on the back end with Myers?

NYI... Mayfield walking out the door.  Myers can fit in nicely on the 3rd pair.

Bottomline, there's options here.  That's 7 teams I can think of that would have the cap space to take on Myers for 1 year @ $3M.  That wasn't a hard exercise either to find them.

Edited by HKSR

I have a better idea how we can clear cap space. In the following article just replace every instance of "Marian Hossa" with "Oliver Ekman Larsson".............

Marian Hossa allergic to his own equipment, may have to retire from NHL

Marian Hossa may have played his last NHL game.

The Chicago Blackhawks right wing will at least miss the 2017-18 (23-24) season, as it was announced Wednesday that he's suffering from a skin disorder, which is being caused by an allergic reaction to his own hockey equipment.

The 38-year-old Hossa has missed 46 games over the past six seasons, but said playing right now has to take a back seat.

"Due to the severe side effects associated with those medications, playing hockey is not possible for me during the upcoming 2017-18  (23-24) season," Hossa said in a statement. "While I am disappointed that I will not be able to play, I have to consider the severity of my condition and how the treatments have impacted my life both on and off the ice."

Edited by nuckin_futz

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Trade #1

To VAN:

4th Round Pick

To ARZ or CHI etc.:

4th Round Pick (to retain 50% on Myers)

To BUF:

Myers

Vancouver clears Myers full cap hit by giving up a 4th round pick to ARZ to retain 50% after this bonus has been paid.  They regain a 4th round pick from BUF.

Buffalo gets a solid 3rd pairing RHD after Lyubushkin and Jokiharju.  The cost is only a 4th round pick.  Cap hit on Myers is only $3M for one season.

Note:  Buffalo can be interchanged with any other team willing to do this deal.  The key here is VAN gets rid of Myers full cap hit without sacrificing anything.  The other team acquires Myers for a 4th round pick. 

Trade #2

To VAN:

3rd Round Pick

To ARZ or CHI etc:

4th Round Pick to retain 50% on Beauvillier

To ANY TEAM:

Beauvillier

Rinse and repeat Trade #1.  This time with Beauvillier at 50% ($2.075M) a team is willing to cough up a 3rd round pick.  Again, Vancouver clears the full cap hit  for Beauvillier.

Trade #3

To VAN:

2nd Round Pick

To ANY TEAM:

Garland or Boeser

3rd Round Pick (from Trade #2)

So utilizing the 3rd round pick from the trade above and either Garland or Boeser, we obtain a 2nd round pick in return.  Not perfect value, but wingers are a dime a dozen in this league.  Cap space is king. 

TLDR:

Net result...

OUT:  Myers, Beauvillier, Garland or Boeser, 4th Round Pick

IN:  2nd Round Pick

CAP OUT:  $15.1M (if Garland is traded), $16.8M (if Boeser is traded)

Honestly, we could even just stop after Trade #2 and carry on with a cap savings of $10.15M.

Alf don't understand the process but the result is darned good. We dumperoo Myers, and Garland (would like to add OEL too) and come out with a pick? Sign me up for that!

28 minutes ago, Provost said:

Not likely if he doesn't want to go.  

Go to Capfriendly and find the teams with cap space next year and actual real dollars after re-signing their own players who have $3 million to spend on a #5 D.  Take away 10 of them and you get to basically no one very fast.  Then if there happens to be a team with the cap space, budget, and need... try to swing a deal when there are a lot of other players and teams trying to shed cap as well.

ding ding ding ding

It's tiring seeing multiple people post every single day how Myers can easily get traded away after his bonus gets paid.  It gets paid out Sept. 15.  That is super late for a team to be making large cap moves.  And that team must indeed a place Myers is willing to go.  He signed a great contract to basically ensure his five years would be spent here and only here.

4 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

ding ding ding ding

It's tiring seeing multiple people post every single day how Myers can easily get traded away after his bonus gets paid.  It gets paid out Sept. 15.  That is super late for a team to be making large cap moves.  And that team must indeed a place Myers is willing to go.  He signed a great contract to basically ensure his five years would be spent here and only here.

Lots of trades are discussed and agreed upon pending a certain date for cap reasons, so the trade call doesn't happen right away.  This is no different.  A deal could be in place with the understanding that it will happen immediately after the bonus is paid.

I've pointed out 7 possible destinations where teams have a possible need, and the cap space to do it.  I'm sure there's others, but I stopped looking.

Bottomline is Myers' contract is very movable once that bonus is paid.  The season doesn't start until October, so not a big deal, especially when his role will likely be a 3rd pair defenceman playing 12 to 15min a night.

Edited by HKSR
  • There it is 1

37 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

I'd still try, make him say no.

If that doesn't work, waive him (let him see nobody else wants him either) and let him sit in the pressbox. 

I'd much rather play guys like Wolanin and Hirose then watch OEL stumble over himself. 

Plant drugs in his bag, then terminate his contract. I don't care.

Good luck ever working in the NHL if a GM pulled that garbage. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I have a better idea how we can clear cap space. In the following article just replace every instance of "Marian Hossa" with "Oliver Ekman Larsson".............

Marian Hossa allergic to his own equipment, may have to retire from NHL

Marian Hossa may have played his last NHL game.

The Chicago Blackhawks right wing will at least miss the 2017-18 (23-24) season, as it was announced Wednesday that he's suffering from a skin disorder, which is being caused by an allergic reaction to his own hockey equipment.

The 38-year-old Hossa has missed 46 games over the past six seasons, but said playing right now has to take a back seat.

"Due to the severe side effects associated with those medications, playing hockey is not possible for me during the upcoming 2017-18  (23-24) season," Hossa said in a statement. "While I am disappointed that I will not be able to play, I have to consider the severity of my condition and how the treatments have impacted my life both on and off the ice."

Except you need an actual documented condition. So tired of seeing this parroted as if it wasn't an actual life altering affliction for Hossa, the guy was literally embarrassed to go to team dinners because he was bleeding through his clothes. He was going to the Hospital every 2 weeks to get his blood checked and couldn't even pick up his kids. This isn't hard info to come by and to see it still being parroted as a made up thing is getting beyond fking stupid at this point.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Challenge of moving OEL is, he has to agree to going anywhere!

Actually the challenge is that he's currently barely a 3rd pairing D that's 31 years old with a 7.2 million cap hit for the next bunch of years *AND* set to make 10 million CASH next season.  LE's contract was SIGNIFICANTLY easier to move.

• There it is 1

37 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Except you need an actual documented condition. So tired of seeing this parroted as if it wasn't an actual life altering affliction for Hossa, the guy was literally embarrassed to go to team dinners because he was bleeding through his clothes. He was going to the Hospital every 2 weeks to get his blood checked and couldn't even pick up his kids. This isn't hard info to come by and to see it still being parroted as a made up thing is getting beyond fking stupid at this point.  

It's kind of like the "remember that lady who sued Rotten Ronalds for a ton of money & won just from having some coffee spilled on her".  Actual facts were she suffered *SEVERE BURNS* on her body. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Lots of trades are discussed and agreed upon pending a certain date for cap reasons, so the trade call doesn't happen right away.  This is no different.  A deal could be in place with the understanding that it will happen immediately after the bonus is paid.

I've pointed out 7 possible destinations where teams have a possible need, and the cap space to do it.  I'm sure there's others, but I stopped looking.

Bottomline is Myers' contract is very movable once that bonus is paid.  The season doesn't start until October, so not a big deal, especially when his role will likely be a 3rd pair defenceman playing 12 to 15min a night.

Love to see this happen but will our owner agree to paying Myers the five mil bonus, then trading him, and paying another player five million? 
Our owner should do it, but I don’t think he will. He should buyout OEL too, but he won’t. 25 million is a lot. Makes us immediately a lot better though, that’s for certain. 

35 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Actually the challenge is that he's currently barely a 3rd pairing D that's 31 years old with a 7.2 million cap hit for the next bunch of years *AND* set to make 10 million CASH next season.  LE's contract was SIGNIFICANTLY easier to move.

Which brings us to the buyout option....

• There it is 1

I wonder if we throw in a 5th and retain half on Myers' last year, we could trade him back to Buffalo (speculation about hating their former team aside, Buffalo's got a whole new dressing room now and could be good really soon but they're just missing a #4 RHD - Sabres fans have been ragging on Jokiharju, so he might not be the immediate answer next to Owen Power; they've also got $19 million, so if we sell Myers at half price they can still load up to sign other depth, and I think taking future considerations would still be good enough if we get rid of him).

Beauvillier could probably get a Bjorkstrand return IMO; he's a low-end top-6 guy but still capable.  Garland might get later picks due to the contract IMO.

How about this:

Let this group play the way it is, and if by Christmas, they are NOT in a playoff spot, then all the players get their salaries renegotiated at 10% less than they are now so that management has the room to bring in a player or 2 to help!

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

How about this:

Let this group play the way it is, and if by Christmas, they are NOT in a playoff spot, then all the players get their salaries renegotiated at 10% less than they are now so that management has the room to bring in a player or 2 to help!

Except that isn’t allowed in the CBA and the NHLPA will never accept that being part of the CBA 

6 hours ago, MattWN. said:

I think so too. I think you're looking at a better return than people think on that deal. 

To me, it makes more sense to retain ourselves at the deadline, than to pay somebody else futures to do it.

For 1 year......absolutely! Good Call!

5 hours ago, MattWN. said:

I'd still try, make him say no.

If that doesn't work, waive him (let him see nobody else wants him either) and let him sit in the pressbox. 

I'd much rather play guys like Wolanin and Hirose then watch OEL stumble over himself. 

Plant drugs in his bag, then terminate his contract. I don't care.

As mentioned before, with a NMC, you cannot even place on waivers without players permission