The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Jonathan Lekkerimäki

17 hours ago, stawns said:

So you think they're going to spend time and resources on a 19 year old who is only going to be there for one year?  Why would they?  Most likely he'll spend the bulk of the year in the press box.  The SHL isn't a development league like the A is.

Because they're not petty, or you. :lol:

The SHL is both a competitive league and a development league. Like every Euro league they know the best players have the NHL as their goal and they can't compete with the NHL salaries to keep them. Meaning they are all in fact developing players for the NHL. If they want to win, and the vast majority of teams do, they will work with and play their best players. Like any other league, they want both on ice success and bums in seats to make money (along with merch sales). It's in their own best interest to get the most out of their players whether drafted by the NHL or not. The flaw in your theory is why sign a drafted player at all if you're not going to use them? If they truly saw it the way you seem to, they would simply tell drafted players to go play in AHL because we're not wasting our time and resources on you. Oddly that doesn't seem to happen in the SHL though. 

• Cheers 4

2 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

I can appreciate you having a different point of view, but I would also appreciate you extending the same courtesy to me as I extend to you. I don't ever refer to anyone's opinion as "shattalk" and I ask that you don't either. It's insulting and inappropriate.

”I can't see a scenario where Lekkermaki gets quality opportunities in a league that doesn't give opportunities to its younger players. ” is what you said… What do you call that type of words? 
If you had asked a question it wouldn’t have been shattalk.

Now you said something that was completely wrong regarding Lekkerimäki followed by a lie.

It’s typical for us males to talk as we actually know what we talk ablout even when it’s shattalk… :bigblush:

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

”I can't see a scenario where Lekkermaki gets quality opportunities in a league that doesn't give opportunities to its younger players. ” is what you said… What do you call that type of words? 
If you had asked a question it wouldn’t have been shattalk.

Now you said something that was completely wrong regarding Lekkerimäki followed by a lie.

It’s typical for us males to talk as we actually know what we talk ablout even when it’s shattalk… :bigblush:

I'm not trying to get in an argument with you. You obviously didn't hear me and you called me a shattalker and a liar. I am done with you.

41 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I'm not trying to get in an argument with you. You obviously didn't hear me and you called me a shattalker and a liar. I am done with you.

Goodness me, what do you say your words were then? 
Were they made for an discussion or were you locked in your opinion while saying something that wasn’t true.

Something that isn’t true is a lie.

Don’t you agree? 

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

The SHL is both a competitive league and a development league. Like every Euro league they know the best players have the NHL as their goal and they can't compete with the NHL salaries to keep them. Meaning they are all in fact developing players for the NHL. If they want to win, and the vast majority of teams do, they will work with and play their best players. Like any other league, they want both on ice success and bums in seats to make money (along with merch sales). It's in their own best interest to get the most out of their players whether drafted by the NHL or not. The flaw in your theory is why sign a drafted player at all if you're not going to use them? If they truly saw it the way you seem to, they would simply tell drafted players to go play in AHL because we're not wasting our time and resources on you. Oddly that doesn't seem to happen in the SHL though. 

A 21-22 year old, sure, I agree.  A 19 year old who had 9 points in a lower tier league?

Again, what's the advantage to having no control over his season as opposed to full control?

3 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Goodness me, what do you say your words were then? 
Were they made for an discussion or were you locked in your opinion while saying something that wasn’t true.

Something that isn’t true is a lie.

Don’t you agree? 

Not if the person believes it to be true. In that case he's simply mistaken rather than a liar. Which can be corrected with logic and facts if properly presented. 

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

A 21-22 year old, sure, I agree.  A 19 year old who had 9 points in a lower tier league?

Again, what's the advantage to having no control over his season as opposed to full control?

Ignoring his playoff performance of 15 pts in 15 games? I'm saying he'll get what he earns next year whether playing here or there. Imo the SHL is better than the AHL and it doesn't burn a year off his ELC. There's two real advantages and I've already pointed that out. Which you seem to ignore asking yet again "what's the advantage". Again, there's no reason to rush him after a rough year. I suspect it's more about what you want rather than what's actually best for the kid. And he is still just a kid.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

Ignoring his playoff performance of 15 pts in 15 games? I'm saying he'll get what he earns next year whether playing here or there. Imo the SHL is better than the AHL and it doesn't burn a year off his ELC. There's two real advantages and I've already pointed that out. Which you seem to ignore asking yet again "what's the advantage". Again, there's no reason to rush him after a rough year. I suspect it's more about what you want rather than what's actually best for the kid. And he is still just a kid.

I'm all for a solid two year development track for him, I'd just prefer them to have 100% control of that development plan.  

They have an excellent program in Abby and they are giving that team to the prospects, rather than leaning on older, veteran players to get W's.  

He's going to get better development coaches, more practice time and more game time than he would in the SHL, imo.  Additionally, if you think the SHL is a better league, won't he stand a better chance of performing well in a "lesser" league, thereby restoring his confidence?

Edited by stawns

If he plays in the SHL for next year does that he count as 1 of the 50 contract players? If not 1 more year in Sweden (at18) can’t hurt . Especially when the Canucks seem to have some control over which team he plays for.

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

Not if the person believes it to be true. In that case he's simply mistaken rather than a liar. Which can be corrected with logic and facts if properly presented. 

Yeah, I’ve heard about a former Potus trying that defence all the time but I’m not sure ignorant is better. Both lier and ignorant is strong words. Some people shy away from them but they are just words. 
I shy away from the word hater since that is a very powerful word to me. But today it seems like hater is the same as yesterdays mere dislike or something even less.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I'm all for a solid two year development track for him, I'd just prefer them to have 100% control of that development plan.  

They have an excellent program in Abby and they are giving that team to the prospects, rather than leaning on older, veteran players to get W's.  

He's going to get better development coaches, more practice time and more game time than he would in the SHL, imo.  Additionally, if you think the SHL is a better league, won't he stand a better chance of performing well in a "lesser" league, thereby restoring his confidence?

Didn’t Martin play instead of Silovs?
I disagree, when the going got tougher Colliton tried going for the vets more.

If what you said was true Räty would have played 1st or 2nd C. Did he that? 

Lekkerimäki has a better oppurtunity to play against the other teams top players and he is coached by Samuelsson and the Sedins while in SHL also. 

On 5/6/2023 at 9:40 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

He's going to be a consistent 30+ goal scorer for us in the future, has big Brock potential but might reach it sooner rather than some. Good signing, now to develop him defensively and physically.

Let's tamper our excitement down a bit. Unless we run the risk of repeating Jake "the next Cam Neely" Virtanen 

Hold On Wait GIF by filmeditor

10 hours ago, Baggins said:

You can really tell when a person has never watched European club football.  Small teams and small leagues exist.  They will always be at a severe disadvantage but when they punch above their weight it's awesome to see.  The SHL are like the Eredivisie of hockey.  No money and not much international prestige but just an insane amount of talent being pumped through it.  All the rising stars will get poached by the NHL, but these little teams accept reality and move onto the next new youngster.  The one difference is teams don't gain profit when they get poached.

9 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

@Timråfan is a very difficult person to talk to because of the way he speaks.  It's arrogant but also just very confusing and never to the point.  I've read his responses and they're all fluff and no substance.  He could be completely right about everything but nobody can tell because he will never just get to the point.  

7 hours ago, Dannydog said:

If he plays in the SHL for next year does that he count as 1 of the 50 contract players? If not 1 more year in Sweden (at18) can’t hurt . Especially when the Canucks seem to have some control over which team he plays for.

I think so. I believe players under contract who are loaned to European leagues (as well as any slide eligible contract players that get returned to the CHL) are exempted from the 50 contract limit.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

You can really tell when a person has never watched European club football.  Small teams and small leagues exist.  They will always be at a severe disadvantage but when they punch above their weight it's awesome to see.  The SHL are like the Eredivisie of hockey.  No money and not much international prestige but just an insane amount of talent being pumped through it.  All the rising stars will get poached by the NHL, but these little teams accept reality and move onto the next new youngster.  The one difference is teams don't gain profit when they get poached.

@Timråfan is a very difficult person to talk to because of the way he speaks.  It's arrogant but also just very confusing and never to the point.  I've read his responses and they're all fluff and no substance.  He could be completely right about everything but nobody can tell because he will never just get to the point.  

So you actually wants a copy of Understand Timråfan for Dummies? 
It came in the nineties so it might be out if stock now…

15 hours ago, Baggins said:

In no way is the SHL better than the AHL :lol:

• Like 1